Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there you 24V owners,

I have just changed my QV (S) belt after 60kms and 5 years since the last change. The old belt was showing quite a few small cracks starting on the outer surface, and the rubber was going hard. One crack was almost 5 mm long and right through the belt material! So it seems that 5 years is a maximum time between changes, and 60 kms the absolute upper limit. So that 50 kms change time recommendation is a good one, and I feel that the time factor also essential. Do not go beyond 5 years even if the mileage is lower.

Also did the idlers, but the water pump still OK.

As for plug coils sparking away, I smear RTV sealant all over the bottom surfaces of the coils. It works OK and makes the idle nice and smooth. I clean the bottom surface thoroughly with electrical contact cleaner first of all, and those hairline cracks show up well.

Ciao,

1994QV red.
1994 Super black.

Alex.

·
Premium Member
26,815 Posts
http://www.digest.net/alfa/FAQ/164/b009101.htm

Alfa Tech Bulletin from 1991. Interesting to read all that has happened since this thing was published: Alfa 164 TSB 00.91.01

PIPE DREAMING by Time Standard Xspurts!

Notice that the time allowed 3.7 hours on a 164 12v engine. Just checked Alfa flat rate manual for 12v and 24v and 3.70 hours is listed time standard for 12v just as bulletin states and 24v listed as 4.50 hours.

Do you think anybody can do it correctly in that time? I doubt anybody can do it in thoses times and have confidence timing and tension is correct especially on 24v.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agreed, Steve. The belt change itself took me most of a day, but I also had to go get the idlers. I have developed a way of holding the new belt onto the cam wheels while I get everything set up. I put plastic ties over the belt to keep it in place on each wheel. They easily snip when all set up.

Alex.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
The plastic ties are a very good idea. I usually use my third hand (one of my kids) to good effect, but when you have only two hands, a cable tie sounds like a great idea.

Michael

1 - 4 of 4 Posts