Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry about the x-post, but I am hoping that the individual thread header grabs the right attention!

After installing a brand new rebuilt motor, I have to chase an ignition-module/coil-pack/injector/injector harness/compression/spark plug problem and I don't have long! (I have to get it running right so that I can go and put it under load to seat the rings...!)

Any suggestions?

1) It has dead cylinders on both banks (looks like about 3 from pulling injector leads while it was running briefly.)
2) It will run with the one ignition module plugged in by itself, but not with the 2nd one plugged in by itself (I guess that this means more dead cylinders on the one bank than on the other...?) They were fine in December when I drove the car down to Texas though!
3) The injector harness checks out fine (noid-light tested all 6 injector tails and we have good pulse to all 6 injectors!)
4) All 6 injectors were reconditioned, but they all sat for 6-7-8 months now - installed in the heads but not being used. Could 2-3 of them start sticking because of sitting for so long after cleaning/reconditioning?
5) Have not checked compression yet - trusting that the motor build is fine - Dawie at Glenwood has done me right to date!
6) Have not checked the coil-packs yet - wouldn't know how at this stage either, but again - these things were fine to begin with - driving the car down here just this last December, it ran smooth.

Any suggestions where to take things to next?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Can you correlate any dead cylinders with a particular power module? For instance, are the same cylinders working on the front cylinders regardless if you switch position of the power modules?
I recently had a broken power module, where one of the three channels were gone. It seems unlikely that both power modules are broken, though.

·
Registered
503 Posts
JJ - i am no expert compared to you :cool: but i feel just because they were good when you drove there in december dosen't mean they are fin now, when i had my car tore apart to do the head gaskets there were several sensors and other electrical things that died, luckily i had spares. i would check everything out so that you can confirm they work as they should, feels like some sort of coil issue to me

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hhhmmm...

Confirmed last night that the injectors were "oiled" in anticipation of delayed start-up, so I will assume for now that they are good.

The ignition-modules have 3 drivers each. You have an igniter module per bank and then individual amplifiers inside per cylinder. So - say that 1, 3 and 5 are bad - that would mean that the drivers for 1&3 within the first module went bad and the driver for 5 within the 2nd module went bad over night...

Hard to believe and yet - as Jason said - plausible!

How can one test the stupid coil-packs in-car? I hate the fact that things can't be tested while running with these cars - pulling ANYTHING requires disabling the motor!

·
Registered
503 Posts
its time consuming but i would swap them out with another car and see what happens, as i said time consuming but the only way i would be able to isolate the problem, hang in there JJ we are all rooting for you

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
Hmmmm

JJ
CHECK THE GROUND STRAPS ON THE MOTOR!!
Before you do anything on the rear bank, take the front back plugs out and see what they look like. You did have some non firing on the front, correct?

bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts