Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys, I have a few issues after changing out the clutch on my 94' 164LS.

1. Rough Idle - Initially we did nothing but change the clutch, so since we didn't disconnect much stuff, we figured it would be some kind of vacuum leak but try as we may we couldn't find one. We had the injectors cleaned and replaced the plugs but still nada. Computer spits out Lambda sensor code but that could be anything in the system? We tried just disconnecting the lambda sensors and this makes no difference? Swapped coil packs around, again nothing. Swapped ignition modules...

2. A/C doesn't want to turn on anymore? No signal to the compressor to cut on.

3. Speedo doesn't register that we're moving. As a result cruise control doesn't work.

Mainly I need to solve the rough idle and get the thing inspected. Any tips? I would think some disconnected wire or some such since we didn't disconnect anything from the engine except the AFM and transmission...

Thanks,
-Jason Miller

·
Premium Member
26,914 Posts
Check vac line connection at air tank in left wheel well behind front inner fender liner.

As for speedo check sender wiring connector for pulled/broken pin socket for one of the wires. You didn't reverse speedo wiring with back up light wiring did you?

You said you didn't disconnect another from engine but if you did you could have revesed cam angle sensor with knock sensor but I don' think it would even start then.

Really pays to tag and color code things when you disconnect them.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Did you reconnect the ground wire to the compressor and the large ground strap from the tranny to the frame?
Charles

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just checked and everything is grounded well, I really thought that could have been it... I read a post a while back about weird things happening and and ECU swap seemed to help? Do you know if there is a difference between a 95 and 94 US ECUs? between manual and automatic? I have access to a couple of 95's one manual and automatic, and another automatic but I don't know if its a 95 or 94...

Thanks for the suggestions thus far, keep them coming. :)

·
Registered
460 Posts
The 94 and 95 ECU are different becuase in 95 you have a EGR valve system.

Was you antilock light on when you started? The ABS on my 91S is really an improvement over the system in the Verde.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The light turns on when you put the key in but doesn't turn off. I know it worked before but I cannot say if the light turned off before also. Seems like it should flash when active?? Its been a while since I've driven it, especially testing the ABS.

·
Registered
460 Posts
The ABS light should go out a few seconds after starting a motor. If the light flashs or stays illuminated, then you have and ABS problem. The light should not flash at any time, hence you have another problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts