Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so when doing a 24v swap whats the deal with the pan n pickup, it seems to be the one thing i cant seem to find an answer for or better pics to go with it

most everything else seems fairly straight forward, yes ive searched and trolled and came up empty like its a skipped topic

·
Registered
311 Posts
You have to use the Milano oil pan. If you're going to keep the 24v oil pump, you will have to make your own pickup.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok cool thats what i figured and hoped, so whats the deal with the pickup? can the pickup from the milano be adapted over or?...again most of that information is...vague..and no pics to be found

·
Registered
28 Posts
Right now I'm gathering information on the 24v conversion for a future project on my gtv6, I came across this site.
I share with you this link with some information and some photos on the 24v oil adaptation. Maybe it will help other people.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so it looks like there are a couple dfferent pumps that are different heights, with the right combination of pickup and pump it looks like its a direct fit setup.....after some clay testing ill know for certain

·
Registered
311 Posts
There's no way to mix/match oil pump parts that will work. Simply keep the oil pump that came with the 24v engine and modify the oil pickup to fit the Milano pan.

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
Hi
ok cool thats what i figured and hoped, so whats the deal with the pickup? can the pickup from the milano be adapted over or?...
Take a GTV6 or Milano pump. Take it apart, remove the rotor and georoter. The rotor is the one with a rod through that gets spun by the auxiliary shaft. Take apart the 24V pump you'll notice that the rod that connects the rotor & the auxiliary shaft, has threads on the end, and a nut. Take off the nut.

Install the the 24V rotor and georoter into the now empty GTV6/Milano pump body. Install your hybrid oil pump into the 24V block.

Bye

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok got it

the side panel with the cotter pin in it is a presure spring correct? IE to keep the oil pressure at x?

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
That is a safety pressure release valve. The oil pressure is created by the pump, but the pressure is regulated by the oil filter. If something gets clogged up pressure could rise dramatically and can be relieved by that channel. See lubricating principle.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
relief eh ok, just had to check, since im plumbing in a sandwich to run an oil cooler do i need to make any changes to it?...allready drilled out my sandwich to make sure its all the same size flow thruout

so it looks like there are a couple different pump bodys at various lengths as well as pickups, so you can actualy mix n match to get the depth you want/need with basicly zero mods...nice bit of info right there..especialy if you have a good pump you dont want to swap out..you can then just find a pickup to match your depth required

·
Registered
28 Posts
There is also possible to just modify the strainer hose in order to reposition the strainer in the right place, which avoids touching the pump itself. However, I do not know if a modification of the oil pan 12v labyrinth is necessary.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Shortlife: If you want an oil cooler, remove the watercooled factory item under the oil filter, then buy an aftermarket oil cooler attachment, and install the cooler on a suitable place in front of the water radiator.
Also I think the hybrid pump of merged 164 and 75 oil pumps looks better than the curled 164 pick up.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok so ive got both engine on stands side by side

the milano pump body is 5-8mm longer, so this makes the 164 rod short, boltable but short, how do guys normaly deal with this?, if i tighten it up it wont have clearance if i leave it a lil loose and stake the nut it could work, honestly tho the pump looks like in a previous life it ingested alot of metal

a thought i had was to make a "shim" block of turned aluminum to place on top of the gear as a "lock" of sorts to keep the gear in place and put the cap back on and just run the milano 12v shaft, my high mile milano pump is in considerably better shape

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Actually I said take out the two oil pumps put them next to each other and post a photo if you can or cannot see how to make a hybrid version. Without photo of the two pumps next to each other its difficult to help!!

I have done this mod for 164 12V engine to work with the pick up of the GTV engine. The distance from bottom to top of 12V and 24V 3L engine is the same so this should be doable also in the 24V conversion. As you will use the 164 pump on the 164 24V engine there is no problem with the length of the pump shaft. The only question is if the 75/GTV pick up will fit with the 164 pump when the 164 pick up is removed. This you should understand on own accord, but if you post a photo of the two pumps next to each other there is a possiblity to help!

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
pics incomming

ive actualy measured everything up, the shafts are totaly different as the 12v unit is not threaded on the end and the gear is held down by the dizzy

so youve got a dizzy held shaft(non 164) and a threaded shaft(164)
the 164 pump case is shorter than the milano by about 8mm

all said that means if you use the 12v pickup on the 24v pump case you no longer have the pickup sitting in the drop sump in the pan

maybe im over thinking it, but the 164 pump drive feels like a set of shocks after doing a couple thousand miles on gravel roads...hard to belive its out of a rebuilt engine thats still got assy lube in the oil

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
OK I admit I did this conversion at least 10 years ago, so some details got lost to me but: still I think i remember the important clues. It was a small thing to accomplish. So if you study the converted pump you will see that the 164 body is used and the oval oil intake for the oil pipe is blinded by a cover.You need to make one blind.. So put the long shaft and ring back into the 164 pump, then all parts upwards will be original and fit perfectly. Then the original cover from the 164 pump is replaced by the 75 oil pick up. That should be it. You then need to check the posistion of the pick up is correct inside the baffle arrangement in the 75 V6 oil pan!
Merged GTV and 164 24 oil pumps..PNG

1 - 20 of 20 Posts