Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Had the middle box on my 1995 24v 164 changed a few weeks ago and now the front flexipipes are leaking - reckon they just left the cat hanging on them while yanking off the mid box.

Thinking of getting just the flexipipe part of the front flexipipes changed - i.e. some 3rd party supplied flexipipe. Does anyone know the correct internal diameter/length of flexipipe to get?

Thanks,

Richard

·
Registered
433 Posts
I recently got one flexpipe for my Q4 (24V) and that has a diameter of 51mm, so I would think that is dimension you need.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I recently got one flexpipe for my Q4 (24V) and that has a diameter of 51mm, so I would think that is dimension you need.
51mm = 2" internal so looks like I'm in luck as Jetex sell this size for £30. Much better than me having to buy entire new pipes for £350 a pair (more if from Alfa). Ouch.

Many thanks,

Richard

·
Registered
433 Posts
51mm = 2" internal so looks like I'm in luck as Jetex sell this size for £30. Much better than me having to buy entire new pipes for £350 a pair (more if from Alfa). Ouch.

Many thanks,

Richard
If I could buy front pipes for my Q4 for that price, I would be happy... They are not even available...

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I could buy front pipes for my Q4 for that price, I would be happy... They are not even available...
Are the Q4 pipes so different to the normal 24v ones? If not check out this seller item on UK ebay: 300506072848

Best of luck and either way, you're lucky to have a Q4 :)

Richard

·
Registered
433 Posts
Thanks for the link. However, because of the axle going to the rear, they are different.

·
Registered
49 Posts
24v LS & Q4 are the same flex pipes, al,ost nobody has specs or produces, after years is searching and repairing mine, I found Vortex exhausts in the UK. Looks great... Very happy.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Is it special order? They had some interesting stuff, but a when I looked for the car specifics 1994 Alfa 164LS, only O2 sensor. Didn't see front flex pipes 1 longer, 2 shorter.and and joined together at the catalytic converter ,separate pipes held bu a joining bracket.Longer with a specific twist only Q4 & LS 24v... 12v will not fit. If its just the braided flex piece.... Almost everybody has, I even picked up a European metric to fix my originals (as spares) while I use the Vortex...exact pipes.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I assume the flex part is the same for both Q4 and FWD 24V, but the pipes are different. All of the exhaust is different on the Q4 due to the axle going to the rear.

I haven't had problems finding flex pipes in Europe, so would think that it should be possible on North America.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Flex pipes... Not a problem,complete original pipes is a problem

The original flex pipes that came with the Alfa 164LS 1994 FWD were thicker, double braided and a material fireproof sleeve over the flex (to soften some noise I guess).. A real work of art. I'd love a brand new one exactly the same, instead I've found some really below par work. Was satisfied with Vortex exhaust.UK., there are a lot of companies in north America that can cnc the ends and make a really good product if the have the specs. To do that for the few remaining models still available... Is not feasible. The would have to charge you a fortune setting up the machines and doing the work, there is no mass production demand.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Is it special order? They had some interesting stuff, but a when I looked for the car specifics 1994 Alfa 164LS, only O2 sensor. Didn't see front flex pipes 1 longer, 2 shorter.and and joined together at the catalytic converter ,separate pipes held bu a joining bracket.Longer with a specific twist only Q4 & LS 24v... 12v will not fit. If its just the braided flex piece.... Almost everybody has, I even picked up a European metric to fix my originals (as spares) while I use the Vortex...exact pipes.
The Jegs parts are generic and would have to have ends welded in them if they would work.

Bottom of page 64 of their catalog. They call them "Universal Flex Couplers."

1 - 12 of 12 Posts