Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the middle of rebuilding my 164 Q motor. It seems to have every problem know to man. To my surprise one of the thrust bearing is very worn, see picture & the crank is visualy worn (need to be shaved by a few thousands). I have a spare 12v laying around, does anyone know if these are the same? I think they are. Anyway I will take some progress pics along with the build

Thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
I am in the middle of rebuilding my 164 Q motor. It seems to have every problem know to man. To my surprise one of the thrust bearing is very worn, see picture & the crank is visualy worn (need to be shaved by a few thousands). I have a spare 12v laying around, does anyone know if these are the same? I think they are. Anyway I will take some progress pics along with the build

Thanks
See if this YES answers your question: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-168-1991-1995/47403-crank-swap.html

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Steve,

Thats what I thought. I knew that the thread pitch on the auto 164 cranks is diffent than the 5-speed ones, which can be fixed with diffent bolts. I have a crank from a 91 S, so I should be all set.

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Thanks Steve,

Thats what I thought. I knew that the thread pitch on the auto 164 cranks is diffent than the 5-speed ones, which can be fixed with diffent bolts. I have a crank from a 91 S, so I should be all set.
It is not thread pitch difference between A/T and 5-speed, it is length of bolts. Thread pitch is different with early versus later production <91 and > 91.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Steve,

Are the flywheel bolts different between A/T and 5-speed only because of the flywheel being different thickness? I don't know that it is, I just find it hard to imagine an engineer specifiying differently machined parts if there is no real drive for it. And I can't understand what would require it.

Michael

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Steve,

Are the flywheel bolts different between A/T and 5-speed only because of the flywheel being different thickness? I don't know that it is, I just find it hard to imagine an engineer specifiying differently machined parts if there is no real drive for it. And I can't understand what would require it.

Michael
I think a combo of flywheel thickness and flex plate thickness creates need for different length bolts but I have not personally visually verified the differences. Parts CD calls for different part numbers for A/T models

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Huh, never even heard that one - wonder why the change? Did they go from course to fine thread? Seems typical for a flywheel to be fastened with a fine thread, but maybe word didn't reach Italy until the early 90's?:p
Yes coarse M12x1.50 to fine threads M12x1.25 Mod number D9881 02-91

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
If I read this aright, it says that 5-speed and A/T systems take different bolt lengths, and the early --> late cranks transitioned from coarse --> fine thread, but the cranks are not themselves different except for the thread pitch question. Or so it seems. As I read, you have concluded that although your other thread still mentions multiple crank part numbers, you seem to think (but don't guarantee) that they are fundamentally "the same."

Did I get the picture correctly?

Michael

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
If I read this aright, it says that 5-speed and A/T systems take different bolt lengths, and the early --> late cranks transitioned from coarse --> fine thread, but the cranks are not themselves different except for the thread pitch question. Or so it seems. As I read, you have concluded that although your other thread still mentions multiple crank part numbers, you seem to think (but don't guarantee) that they are fundamentally "the same."

Did I get the picture correctly?

Michael
Yes, that is as near and clear of a pix I can paint (compute) based on tech data I am privy, too. I have fine and coarse threaded bolt hole 12v cranks and journal dimensions in shop manual for 24v match those in 12v manual.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts