Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have mounted a 24v engine in my 155 and i am using a EFI euro 4 ECU
with 4 ignitions out puts
so i am going to run it with wasted spark, anybody know if it is possible to use the std bosch coils?
on the diagram i see a sort of diode of resistor of something
anybody done it ?

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Often a small capacitor is placed in ignition coil wiring for noise suppression. Most car manufacturers do it.
And yes you can use the 24v coils, just don't go crazy on the dwell time.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any idea of how to wire them up ?
just to let one ing output drive 2 coils
og put 2 coils in series conetion and lthen do it that way ?

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Any idea of how to wire them up ?
just to let one ing output drive 2 coils
og put 2 coils in series conetion and lthen do it that way ?
Can the EFI Euro4 ECU drive coils directly? If so you'll have to know the current capacity of the drivers and the impedance of the primary side of the coil(s).
If it needs an external ignition module, which is much more normal, then you have 2 choices.
Either use a 3 or 4 channel ignition module that tolerate having 2 coils wired in parallel. Or use 1 6 channel (or 2 x 3 channel) ignition module(s) and parallel the ECU's signal lines to trigger 2 ignition module channels simultaneously.
And wire the coils in parallel. It will draw more current, but coil performance will be what it should be and a failure (yes, rare) of 1 coil will only loose 1 cylinder instead of loosing 2.
You would only wire the coils in series if the ECU has built in ignition modules and the modules were current limited to 1 coil. And in that case, I'd suggest that you use a different ECU.

Either way, the coils need to be paired as such:
Channel 1 goes to cylinders 1 and 5.
Channel 2 goes to cylinders 4 and 3.
And channel 3 goes to 2 and 6.

After that, it's all about ECU set up to work with the Motronic 60-2 CAS wheel and the Reluctor trigger sensor.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it can drive 4 "smart" coils and 4 "dumb" coils
the car is running now with 251hp, but with a DIS type coil from a 155
but i want to go back to Cop style coils

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
it can drive 4 "smart" coils and 4 "dumb" coils
the car is running now with 251hp, but with a DIS type coil from a 155
but i want to go back to Cop style coils
Frustration rant time:

An ignition coil is an ignition coil!
All of these acronyms and generic terminologies are misleading and/or confusing for a lot of people. I suggest that people use legitimate terminologies.

DIS: Distributorless Ignition System.
COP: Coil On Plug.
If the coils are completely separate, then the system can be either waste spark of full sequential. That is a function of the ECU's capabilities and has nothing to do with the location of the coils.
The only difference between DIS and COP, is the use of ignition leads. Nothing else. Obviously if the coil is directly attached to the plug, there are no ignition leads.
There are some engines where a coil can use either remote mounted, dual output coils and 2 HT (High Tension) ignition leads, or where a coil is directly attached to 1 plug and there is a small HT lead going to another spark plug. Obviously this is a waste spark only, ignition system.

You can have 'Smart' coil versions of each coil.
And just to make sure everyone who reads this, a 'Smart' coils simply have thier ignition module built into the coil and will have 3, 4 and occasionally 5 wire plugged into it. Those being 12 volts, earth, the ECU's trigger signal (a 5 volt signal), sometimes a tacho signal output signal and occasionally a conformation signal back to the ECU, to tell the ECU the spark event occurred. The built in ignition module may or may not determine the coils dwell time.

So if 1 coil has 2 HT outputs, it is only for waste spark (leaving out twin spark engines) use and the spark plugs must be paired correctly.
Individual coils, when mounted remotely or directly on the spark plug, can be fired as pairs (waste spark) or individually (full sequential). Again, if it's waste spark, the spark plugs must be paired correctly.

If you have any concerns about the 2 ignition coils, post some photos of the ones you are using and the ones you want to use.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The ingition module is built in the ecu
im am not sure how to wire up my coils, i am currently using this coil https://www.google.dk/search?q=alfa+155+dis+coil&espv=2&biw=1242&bih=606&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=AaavVLHbEeT5ywPBuICIBw&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#imgdii=_&imgrc=Cp6U5bHfih-kuM%3A;gHsRL40wH-oCjM;http%3A%2F%2Fimages.gasgoo.com%2FMiMwMDRfMDA0IzczNjI1NDIwMA--%2Fauto-part-ignition-coil-pack-alfa-romeo-155-164-spider-fiat-croma-lancia-thema-60564142.jpg;http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gasgoo.com%2Fauto-products%2Fignition-system-407%2F1739065.html;400;400
No problems wiring it up as ign 1 fires 1 and 5, And ign 2 fires 4 and 3 and ign 3 fires 2 and 6
but i want to use this coil ( the original)
https://www.google.dk/search?q=alfa+155+dis+coil&espv=2&biw=1242&bih=606&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=AaavVLHbEeT5ywPBuICIBw&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#tbm=isch&q=alfa+166+24v+coils&imgdii=_&imgrc=p7l8rFejyJdFIM%3A;1ZG6Ao0jvX9ezM;http%3A%2F%2Fthumbs1.ebaystatic.com%2Fd%2Fl225%2Fm%2FmLCqGevh5-6BIXK_-EEOVBA.jpg;http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_kw%3Dbosch%2Bignition%2Bcoil%2Balfa;225;225
But i am not sure how to wire it up, the man i bought the ecu from did not mean that it would work if i just connectet the coils in parralel ( ex: ign 1 Fires coil 1 and 5 )
so he meant i should connect them in series, where kl 1 of coil one i connectet to kl 15 of coil 5 and then the ecu fires both the coil via kl 1 on the coil 5 and beacuase the circuit is broken by the ecu both the coils should fire, but i am not sure if the capacitor is going to mess this up
does this make sense ? :)
thank for your help !!!!

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
But i am not sure how to wire it up, the man i bought the ecu from did not mean that it would work if i just connectet the coils in parralel ( ex: ign 1 Fires coil 1 and 5 ) so he meant i should connect them in series, where kl 1 of coil one i connectet to kl 15 of coil 5 and then the ecu fires both the coil via kl 1 on the coil 5 and beacuase the circuit is broken by the ecu both the coils should fire, but i am not sure if the capacitor is going to mess this up
does this make sense ? :)
thank for your help !!!!
The built in Ignition modules can only sink so much current. By wiring the coils in series, the current draw will be half of that of driving just 1 coil (the impedance will be double that of 1 coil).
Conversely, if the coils are wired in parallel, the current draw will be double (the impedance will be half that of 1 coil).

When wired in series I would expect the performance of the ignition coils to be less that what they are fully capable of. Whether that is noticeable, I couldn't say.
And don't worry about the little capacitor(s). Plenty of people leave them out. Even a local programmable ECU manufacturer here in Australia says that they have never been able to notice any real effect from them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts