Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering.. just fixed my car.. ran it for a while.. saw that the temp was 240* :eek::confused: only for a short time( was warming up the car)fan did not turn on. the temp was only there for 2-3 mins at the most..shut the car down lots of gurlging sounds:eek::(:confused:, re conected the fan.. works ok..started it back up. reved it no steam at all. cool rainy day here in sunny n.cal.:)( yet????)should i be woried.:confused:. new head gasket , only 2-2.4 thous.on it... thanks

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so far looks good... i did the 'sniff' the exhaust...no sickly sweet smell, just a smell.. sort of like.. exhaust..lack of words..

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
You are probably ok, but if you really want to know, then top off the oil, and check if there is any additional consumption over the next few weeks... Engines that have higher comp pistons, ported heads, and high lift cams do warm up a lot quicker than stock engines, because they generate more heat. You have to be careful about overheating a "performance" engine, as a head gasket does not have to blow for there to be an undesirable consequence...

Best regards,

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
I don't suppose there's the vague possibility that the gauge sender wire earthed and made the gauge run up like that is there?

I can't imagine how a cold engine that was being idled to warm it up could go that high in a short time. (presuming your warmup was less than say, 15 minutes)

Well, I could imagine a few causes actually:

Belt slippage
T-stat totally blocked and unopenable
Seperated vane plate inside the waterpump
Really whacked ignition setup
Massive false air leak between the head side of the throttle body
And mabe a few other things.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
..I can't imagine how a cold engine that was being idled to warm it up could go that high in a short time. (presuming your warmup was less than say, 15 minutes)...
The engine in my '84 is modified, and it warms up in literally just a few minutes... When it had the stock pistons, and a mildly upgraded intake cam, even with the Sperry stage V head, it would take just as long to warm up as it always did. I used to always start her up and let it idle until the cold injector would cut-off... Now, with the higher comp pistons and the high lift cams, I can take her out cold and by the time I'm reaching the edge of the driveway (downhill) I can see the temp needle rising, and within a couple of very easy blocks, it's past 140 degrees. My temperature is beautifully set-up, and even idling forever it doesn't go past a hair above the gauge half-way point, but if I were to let her idle without the fan it would definitely overheat easily...

Best regards,

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Yes, higher performance intended parts can make for quicker warmup, but IIRC, bianchi1 isn't set up too much beyond stock, so one would imagine that to get super hot in a short amount of time isn't really 'normal'.

I guess it would help to know what he's got going on in the engine and how long the 'ran for a while' timeframe actually was. :)

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
..., but IIRC, bianchi1 isn't set up too much beyond stock, ...
You are right, this would be the $64k question...:) I guess we need him to chime in here again and let us know were he's at these days... I do seem to recall a period of time a few months back where it seemed like he was taking every component to the edge - remember the milled head? :eek: And I would bet that cams were also upgraded. :)

Best regards,

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
.. can't sleep.. head is not milled, just a really good port job right now.. the elec. fan was disconected.. as for time...no more than 3- 5 mins of running time. including a short drive around the parking lot..only sitting running the motor ofr a min or so after that.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
the temp was only there for 2-3 mins at the most..
This is not the warmup time. It's the time the engine was at 240*.

Coolant flow thru the radiator is pointless without airflow. The engine will overheat in a heartbeat.
I'd just keep a close eye on things for the next few drives.

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the elec. fan was disconected, i guess while i was doing some bodywork, i must have dislodged the connector:).. so far it's ok..on the crankcase hose to the oil seperator, i have a clear hose, so much yet...run's fine.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Water under pressure won't boil until well over 250 degrees F.

Taking into account inaccuracy of the temp gauge, system at about 15 psi, steam chart says water boils near 260 degrees F. That's not taking into account coolant mixture and altitude.

I agree with Papajam, you need air circulating through fins of radiator to effectively cool. Drink less, stay cool. I have same problem ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts