Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Wife's car has 225/50-16Z tires on "Race Line" 16"x7.5" 5-arm star wheels, unknown offset. They came with ~1/4" spacers on rear but none on front. I could measure the offset tonight if you tell me how. Del likes 205/55-16 tires on his 16"x7.5" wheels and I've been thinking about backing down to that width.

Michael

·
Premium Member
15,560 Posts
It depends on what you want to do with the car.

I always thought that since we always end up driving on all types of roads with all our Alfas at one time or another, such as our recent trip with the LS on both freeways and curvy mountain roads, in all states of repair, I decided that the 205 width was the best compromise for high speed stability, steering response on curvy roads, prolonged tire tread life, and reduction in tramlining on heavily worn roads, Our trip convinced me personally that it was the right choice for the heavily loaded 94LS. Of course, I do have 16 inch wheels on the car, so that brings the dia back to OEM.

On the other hand, if the car will primarily be used in the city as kind of a show car, then one might consider other looks, keeping in mind that you can start to paint the handling/drivability characteristics of the car into a corner, so to speak, as you get more extreme (away from the original sizes).

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Has any one run 225/50/15 on 15x7 wheels on a 164S? I am currently running 1/4 spacers all around.
you are not going to like that size, as you won't fill up the wheel well...trust me, it will look odd. I took delivery of my 164 Super (LS) in 1995, and I did not go with the stock tires and wheels. I made a mistake in the calculation:eek:, and got 205-55-15 tires....it looked really bad...I think stock was 195-65-15, someone correct me if I'm wrong, and that tire has a larger diameter.....

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
you are not going to like that size, as you won't fill up the wheel well...trust me, it will look odd. I took delivery of my 164 Super (LS) in 1995, and I did not go with the stock tires and wheels. I made a mistake in the calculation:eek:, and got 205-55-15 tires....it looked really bad...I think stock was 195-65-15, someone correct me if I'm wrong, and that tire has a larger diameter.....
I don't think the priority is on how it looks! Most people will go with bigger rims if that's the goal :rolleyes:!

___Size_____Dia.____Rev./mi.
195/65-15___25.0"___831 (stock)
205/60-15___24.7"___840 (plus zero)
205/55-15___24.0"___865
225/50-15___23.9"___869

So 225/50-15 and 205/55-15 are smaller, car probably will be quicker off the line but probably not so good for long highway commute ;)!

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Andrew's proposed 225/50-15 size is 4.5% smaller in Outer Diameter than the stock 195/65-15 tire. How that would be on an S, with its already 10% lower gearing, I don't know. I think I'd not go much smaller, as even at ~5% reduction in size, it might not fill the wheel well, as Peter says above. The 225/50-15 would look approximately as skinny as the 205/55-15s that Peter was comparing against. It's about 1.4 cm (~9/16") too small on the radius, definitely more than an inch short on the diameter. Maybe 225/55-15 would be better, unless you're looking for a definite gear ratio reduction?

·
Premium Member
26,822 Posts
My son's ebay 164S came to him with 195-60-15 tires and it is quick but tires a bit small looking.

I picked up my 195-65-15 BFG Traction T/As yesterday from Sam's club special order. Now I have to decide do I want to use S wheels, L wheels or Zender 5-spokes? Whatever the choice S or zender I need to refinish them first. L sert refinished but I don't think I want to use them.

Myron's 95LS has 225-50-16s on it I think.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I am running 225-50-16 Kuhmo tires on 16x7 OZ wheels they look great and have no issues, other front tires rubbing the inner fender at full lock but I am aware of this and never turn the wheel all the way. Rear tires are just about a hair from the struts but never had an issue rubbing.

Amedeo

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
yes, on a 16" wheel that gives you very close to stock diameter, only .1" off....but I'm not sure Andrew is looking to buy new wheels ;)

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am going to the AROC convention in a few weeks and was planning to take a GTV6 race car. The bad news the track has a 80 dB sound limit. In SCCA trim the GTV6 is in the mid 90's with a muffler. It is not worth the expense to change exhaust system for just one event. I have decided that I will take my S instead. I have the DOT Avon race tires from the GTV6, that if they clear I was going to take with me to run the time trail and autocross. I know they are not the optimal size and the 164 is not really the best choice for these events, but it is the best I can do in such short notice.

For the street, I ordered a set of the BFG G-Force Sports in a 205/60/15 to mount on a set of 15x7 wheels with 30 mm offset. The 205/50/15 I have on my S now were originally used on my Verde before I parked it last year.

The real bad news is that the clutch just went out on the S and I have decided to tear the car down in preparation for the convention. I have only 2 1/2 before I need to leave for Freak Out. Wish me luck.

·
Premium Member
26,822 Posts
So are you going to pull back to back Freakout and AROC convention and never check out of the hotel between them? I had originally thought I would try to do that but now does not look like I will be able to do either one.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If this was an ideal world yes, but my reality is that I have two small kids. I will fly out on Sunday night to spend a few days with the kids and work Monday and Tuesday and then fly back on Wednesday. My 164 must have decided that I have not paid enough attention to her lately and if I want to run her at the track, work must be done.

My short list is - clutch job, lower control arms, lower ball joints, Porterfield Performance pads all around, rear trailing arm bushings, AC blower motor ( only have high), receiver drier, expansion valve, cleaned fuel injectors, new street tires, and a good wash, wax and detail, so that after this trip the car will be manageable to cleanup.

·
Premium Member
26,822 Posts
All that and a day job, too. Sounds ambitious.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts