Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
‘79 did as well, at least in the US.

(In response to the question about the script on the frnt quarter panels).

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Agree with Tasteless. 15" rims are pushing it.
Alfettas were designed in an era when 13" & 14" wheels were the standard.
14" Ronals look nice on these cars while the 15" versions are a little too big.
These cars always look fantastic with Cromodoras!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Agree with Tasteless. 15" rims are pushing it.
Alfettas were designed in an era when 13" & 14" wheels were the standard.
14" Ronals look nice on these cars while the 15" versions are a little too big.
These cars always look fantastic with Cromodoras!
It doesn't help that you can't really lower these cars, if they could be tucked under the arches a bit more, they might look a little bit nicer, but when people do lower them, they only lower the front because the front arch sits higher on the body, which is NOT how these cars were meant to sit. Good wheels are the factory steelies, the factory optional 14" aluminum wheels, or a nice set of 14" BWA wheels, and that's about it for the most part.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The fronts on the USA GTs were raised to meet federal bumper height requirements. I bought mine new in 1977 and the front end looked like a tractor. I had it lowered many years ago. When these were sold in Europe the fronts were much lower and didn't have the clunky bumpers...

·
Registered
148 Posts
The fronts on the USA GTs were raised to meet federal bumper height requirements. I bought mine new in 1977 and the front end looked like a tractor. I had it lowered many years ago. When these were sold in Europe the fronts were much lower and didn't have the clunky bumpers...
1st, that's not true. 2nd, even if it were, why would they go through all the trouble of redesigning the whole body JUSt for the U.S. market, espwcially when no other manufacturer has? They didn't, you can see evidence of this in original European ads for the cars, where the front arches are still higher, and if you look at the U.S. bodies, you can quite clearly see stamps for European market features, such as the indicators/reflectors just below the grille. If they redesigned the body that much JUST fot the U.S., It would cost more money, more time, and would techncally make it a different model.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Body was not changed for the US market. Only front ride height and bumpers. Body panels are the same...
The European spec GT had a lower front end. I have been to Europe many times and can attest to that...

·
Registered
370 Posts
A matter of taste, I don’t like bigger than 15” wheels on a 116 car but have seen a few with 16” wheels that look good. I had an Alfetta GT with 15” ronal A1, 4x98, genuine Alfa accessory, loved that look.

·
Premium Member
15,644 Posts
Bellyflier, it's very nice looking but too high in the front. You should lower the front to the European spec to make it correct as designed, and better looking. Did this with all three of our Alfettas, using the European dimensions.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
i always forget how much these ladys look like pigs with the US bumpers, the euros clean up nice, but you can almost go without em entirely and still look better than the US units

also, anything not sitting down at euro ride height had better be running on UGLY roads, it just aint right

21 - 35 of 35 Posts