Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw this was posted: 1978 Alfa Romeo Alfetta GT | eBay

Does anyone know this car? Looks "for sale" perfect; nice wheels. Thought something this nice would have been in these circles.

I have been in the market for an Alfetta to pair with my GTV6 and this is def. at the top end it seems.

·
Registered
156 Posts
No way of verifying mileage on these cars. 34K is just too low..... I have a 1976 Alfetta GT with 90k REAL miles. The odometers can even be easily spun back.....

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I guess my 79 is going up in value....pie in the sky? I did get a semi serious offer from a collector in Europe for mine so who knows.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Repainted perhaps? Not sure what's going on with the hood paint in pic #5. Maybe just a bad angle. Appears that the side markers have been painted black. I don't believe that front spoiler is original. If you're interested, there should be someone in Jersey that could look at it for you.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
The speedometer cluster can easily be swapped out too.
Agree, I prefer the original fiberglass chin spoilers, not what has been fabricated on this one.
Buyer beware of rust lurking under that shiny black paint since it is a Northeast US car.

·
Registered
552 Posts
If the eBay car is worth the asking price, then mine should be worth about $15K - sweet! But I doubt it.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I would not buy a car from one of those "Boutique" exotic car sales.
They sometimes try to sell polished turds.
Think Beverly Hill Car Club, a regular on ebay.
There was a long discussion last year about a GTV a fellow Alfa BB member bought from them, sight unseen.
Yes, so it was his bad for not going to see it in person but the car was very misrepresented.
Turns out the car had been wrecked and had a whole new front clip on it and it was poorly repaired.
Don't get me wrong, this looks a clean example, although it is very overpriced.
Proceed with caution.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I agree with 1978. It could be a very good car / or a Bondo special. See the car in person.... Take a magnet with you and run it all over the body panels.....

·
Registered
28 Posts
lemonsquad.com has saved me twice from buying lemons in other states where I am unable to visit. 150 bucks can relieve buyer pain. This car looks great. The Dash says more about this car than anything else in my humble opinion.

·
Administrator
12,114 Posts
Looks pretty good to me, plus flash cars in the showroom so they surely have a reputation to adhere to. One thinks if the car was not up to the other marque standards they would have flipped it quickly to get rid of it. This happens lots with car yards ... and one way to get a bargain if you have mates in the trade.
Pete

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
A few odd points, though. Appears to have a Shankle header. Spica intake box is missing. Replaced by some individual filters (motorcycle filters?). It's not the quadraflow. I thought it was converted to carbs because I see the fuel pump and bracket in the box of parts. But I can see the Spica idle block on above 2&3 cylinder on the intake. The oddest thing I see it that there is a battery in the engine bay, but at the same time a battery box in the trunk. I know some Alfettas had the battery up front, if they did not have air-conditioning. So I don't really know if they had a box in the back. Mine is a rear battery car.

I guess everything could be brought back to stock, if needed. But this price for something that is not 100% stock? Hmm.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Is it just me or is the brake master cylinder reservoir only half full and the coolant expansion tank empty (maybe filled with just water?)?

·
Registered
143 Posts
No way of verifying mileage on these cars. 34K is just too low..... I have a 1976 Alfetta GT with 90k REAL miles. The odometers can even be easily spun back.....
Mine only has 38k, I bought it from the original owners. Needed a tune up probably around '78 (it's a '76 and the reg sticker is for '78), and they just parked it. Been sitting for 40 years. The husband died and the wife was probably about 94, they had a neighbor sell it for them.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I had a California spec '79 'Sprint Veloce' near identical to this as a teenager back in '98-'99. Black over tan was a really nice combination, maybe not so much for a hot climate though!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts