Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I know there have been countless threads on wheel sizes and tires over the years but I have settled on this tire size and have seen a number of others who have done the same. Just wondering if y'all can pitch in with some suggestions and experiences from street to track. I have an extra set of wheels I wanted to use for track days only without breaking the bank. Plus I am in need of new street tires too.

Here are a few of the tires I have tried:
----------
Yokohama AVSi (good grip, fast wear)
Nitto NT450 (good grip, long wear, noisier after 1/2 tread life)
Nitto NeoGen (marginal grip, flabby sidewalls, noisy, sucky)
Toyo Proxes T1-S (good grip, great wear)
Toyo Proxes T1-R (good grip, great wear)

Unfortunately, all of the tires I loved are NLA and this size is not terribly popular with the manufacturers. If somebody knows where to get NOS sets of these I would be into that too :)

For track I have looked at:
----------
Hoosier R6 (for track use but spendy at $230 a pop)
Kumho Victorracers (not available in my size)

For street tires I have not been impressed by any after shopping for a while. I am open to all suggestions for tires comparable to my previous ones. TIA

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I've got Yokohama Advan Neova AD08s on mine (205/50 15 size). We put them on the GTA Replicas now too. Very nice tyres.

According to the Yokohama UK website they're available in your size, not sure about the US.

TYRE PRODUCTS - Yokohama

No experience of the other tyres on your list other than Kumhos and the only use I'd have for them is -

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I liked the Yokohama AVS and the lasted longer that any other tire I have used. but they stopped making them.
Toyo Proxes T1R look a bit like the last AVS they seem to out stick them but have more sidewall flex. So having a bigger rim will help. On hard turns the toyo seem to burn the outsides where the yoko seems to wear more even due to the steel sidewall of the yoko
but the toyo seem to be cheap and come in some of the odd sizes I have been using
I loved the AVS and used them I think as long as yoko made them at lest going back to 89or 1990 or so.
hmm it looks like the AVS might be back? but it seems the advan is now what the AVS used to be but cost a kings ransom..

in the pricey side
there is the
toyo R1R $148
BF g-force t/a kdw $134
toyo proxes 4 $102

on the cheapr side
cooper zeon zpt $75
dunlap Direzza DZ101 $78
BF g-Force sport $80

There is the yoko parada spec-2 in that size and not too much tirerack has them for $82 but seem to be a bit noisy

·
Registered
284 Posts
No experience of the other tyres on your list other than Kumhos and the only use I'd have for them is -

[/QUOTE]

LMAO! So true.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Shoot me down if you want guys, but I've always been pretty impressed with Falken Ziex ZE912's for the money, not sure of the availability stateside and I'd be the first to say the wet grip is not amazing, but why else have i got a RWD car with a LSD? haha

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a bunch for the tips guys. Some options I hadn't checked out yet. While I don't want to, I don't mind spending $120-130ea for street tires but that is about the limit. Seems that all of the street tires now are hard so they aren't that great for track.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Take a look at the tirerack website. There is a good selection. For cheap street tires in that size I've used Generals and Sumitomos because I eat them up pretty fast anyway on familiar rural roads with minimal enforcement. Realistically, I rarely come close to the limits of the tires or suspension because I have a conscience. High dollar ultra high performance tires for street cars are bling and not much more.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
High dollar ultra high performance tires for street cars are bling and not much more.
Let the man try something that is good!
Found the Potenza RE760 on tirerack for 108$, so why try something obscure! Other good types are S001 and RE050 from Bridgestone. If other brands are preferred, the Conti Sport Contact and the recent Nokian Z2 have had good test results

Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?width=205/&ratio=45&diameter=16

Also it has been proven that you get what you pay for by buying quality tires in a recent test here! Comparing new budget tires with half worn quality tires, the half worn quality tires came out with up to 30% better results, on wet and dry, than the new budget tires! So if one appreciates safety and handling from your tires some extra bucks for a good brand is worth the money!

G.K.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,430 Posts
Toyo still lists the T1-R and newer R1-R in that size...

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Go with 205/50/16 and get the Dunlop Z1 Starspec. Excellent grippy tires and the extra sidewall will be more comfortable on the road. The speedo is optimistic anyway.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks again folks. My ultimate goal is a reasonably priced set of track tires for occasional track days (hence why I can't justify $230ea). Plus a nice set of decent streeters. I kind of agree with Jeff's bling comment on street tires and how much they get pushed, however... without posting any incriminating comments here... :p

Reminds me... I went to meet a friend the other night (officer on duty) and I had to ask "So how high do them fancy new radar guns go? Can I find out?" <duck>

I really liked my current T1-Rs for the most part but those Dunlops look like a decent tire for occasional track flogging. A couple of the Bridgestones are tempting as well. Big thanks to all and maybe we can add to this thread over time as manufacturers add/remove SKUs as it seems to be a fairly popular dimension for our cars.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
My opinion was based on your original post indicating that you wanted 2 sets of tires. I wouldn't go lowball on the track tires. Let us know what you wind up with.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Dunlop Z1 Starspec are excellent occasional track tires. They would make the perfect dual duty tires.

But if you want to go with 2 sets (which is even better), then go with 16" street tires and 15" track tires. Get some some Rota 15X7 wheels which are pretty cheap, and use Nitto NT01 205/50/15 for the track. For the street go with something biased towards comfort then outright handling.

I've used Kumho SPT for the street on my 164S and they are comfortable and grip ok, not super, but not horrible either.

The Dunlop Z1s are up there handling wise, even better then the Toyo R1R. It's comparable to the Bridgestone RE11 or Advan AD08.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
I live in west-central Arkansas and the nearest track is Hallett in OK, 160 miles away. The nearest SCCA autocrosses are about the same distance. It amazes me to see guys running Z rated tires on the street around here. Lots of Corvettes do it.
I have 2 sets of wheels and tires for 3 of my cars.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes that is true, but hard to justify $800+ with mount and balance for tires I might use a few times a year. Since true track rubber is super high wear/grip and most of the street rubber long wear/fair grip, I was trying to find a)new street tires as good as my current**, and b)find the stickiest set of tires that would be good for the track without breaking my bank based on my infrequent track usage. I wasn't as clear as I could have been I guess. My true intent of the thread was simply to get a running list of what is available for purchase in this size tire and what folks do/don't recommend. All that said... I think I got some great options here. Thanks, and I shall keep ya posted :)

**Oh, I got e-mail back from Toyo... T1-R are officially discontinued in this size.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts