·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep, some mobile stuff (remote control),autonomous driving is better? touchscreen, new steering wheel and material changes. With fast look you barely see any difference. real facelift is promised in 2021. I think better list of changes is coming next week.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
press kit:
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Fact Sheet

New 2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia and Stelvio Make North American Debut at 2019 AutoMobility LA

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
This is again while Alfa will die in the US Market. Four years into the model and nothing more than cosmetic changes and some stupidly priced "limited edition" models. No performance increases, no improvements in the transmission, no upgrades anywhere...just more video game crap for the infotainment panel. In the meantime all of Alfa's competition have not only responded to the Giulia, they've eaten its lunch. This is what the Porsche 924/944 did to the GTV6, and what the BMW 3 series did to the Milanos. Alfa continualy introduces a very good model and then abandons it...and abandons its customers.

·
Administrator
12,723 Posts
Isn't it sad when they never talk about improvements to the actual CAR, just unnecessary crap
Pete

·
Registered
750 Posts
The reviews I have read said they added thicker glass to make the car quieter, increased the performance of the info system so it does not lag as much as before, and made improvements to the quality of some of the interior bits. Those were all items cited in reviews of the earlier cars as needing improvements. In my opinion, they improved the car with needed upgrades to make it more competitive with BMW. The latest Car & Driver did a comparison of the 2019 turbo 4 Giulia, the Volvo S60, Genesis G70, and the 4 cylinder BMW 3 series. The Alfa came in 2nd behind the BMW. Some of the comments referenced the items that were changed for 2020, so hopefully the latest car will be more competitive with the 3 series. Other negative items were the amount is back seat space compared to the others. Overall, to me this is a good thing.

Here is the link to that story.

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
The reviews I have read said they added thicker glass to make the car quieter, increased the performance of the info system so it does not lag as much as before, and made improvements to the quality of some of the interior bits. Those were all items cited in reviews of the earlier cars as needing improvements. In my opinion, they improved the car with needed upgrades to make it more competitive with BMW. The latest Car & Driver did a comparison of the 2019 turbo 4 Giulia, the Volvo S60, Genesis G70, and the 4 cylinder BMW 3 series. The Alfa came in 2nd behind the BMW. Some of the comments referenced the items that were changed for 2020, so hopefully the latest car will be more competitive with the 3 series. Other negative items were the amount is back seat space compared to the others. Overall, to me this is a good thing.

Pathetic. In the four years since the model was introduced, there should have been two horsepower increases, bigger standard brakes, upgrades to the DNA system, and for those who want a true sports car, an AWD hot hatch based on the Giuliette/GTA. Plus they should make it easier to delete the nanny controls, permanently. And stop with the teenage black out crap.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Since you're not buying one ever again I'm pretty sure Alfa isn't going to be listening to you.

300 bhp four cylinder turbo is adequate. Going for more power costs a lot of money. Bigger brakes is just a nonsense idea. Brakes are brakes. As long as they dissipate the heat the size is not relevant.

Alfa would make a Giulietta for North America except nobody would buy one. North Americans buy trucks now. Europe is getting lead down the same garden path. People don't actually like to drive or they'd stop buying these crossovers and SUVs. All of them are awful to drive compared to a sedan with similar spec. The customer is always right, however.

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
The lack of development is what made the GTV6 and Milanos a failure. The continual development is what made the Porsche 944 and 3 series BMW a success, on the track and in the showroom. Once again Alfa came back to the American market with a one trick pony and nothing in the pipe line. The Giulia was a good start...but then nothing. Better brakes are one of those upgrades that enthusiasts appreciate. Same with software improvements to a transmission. Etc. Alfa could have also considered a more affordable version of the QV...to give it a three car line up. Perhaps a normally asperated version of the 2.9 liter V6.

The Giulietta would be a useable sports car...they could have easily gone after the GTI/Mazda/BMW 1 & 2 series market...and they could have given it a Lancia Hyena style body...a two seater WRC based sports car that would have far more appeal to the younger car buyers than a four door sedan.

But why go on. FCA is just another chapter in the lives of two of the worst car companies in history.

·
Registered
171 Posts

Guess you missed MotorTrend's comparo of the 2018 Giulia Ti sport Q2 and the new 2020 BMW 3 series with the competition pack where the Alfa came in first. The Bimmer was slower with a very harsh ride and heavier handling. They stated pretty flatly the Alfa was the best sport sedan in, and even above, its class, period. Want more power spend about $1K-$2k for exhaust and chip box and you've got a super duper sedan for a hell of a lot less than the Germans. Get your head out of your butts guys the Giulia is awesome.

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
The Giulia is an excellent sedan...and it is now a four year old model with the only major upgrade being Apple Music. Your example is from 2018...that is two years ago. If I wanted to get into being a tuner I would have bought a WRX or an old Audi. The problem with the Giulia isn't the basic car, it is the company that doesn't know how to sell them or support them or to upgrade/improve them. They did a better job with the 164...having the S model and then the 4 valve in rapid succession. But then they dropped out of the market overnight. The QV Giulia is great for those who have 70 to 90 grand...but that is not Alfa's biggest pool of potential buyers...the long term hard core enthusiasts. And what do you think the support of current cars will be when the French buy Fiat. It will drop the Giulia and start selling frumpy Peugeots. America had a better choice of sports cars from all the European countries before the Eurozone and Globalism. And before American politicians declared war on the ICE automobile.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I believe that the the Giulia / Stelvio models are progressing as expected. Alfa does not, and never did have the resources to compete with Porsche and BMW to develop and produce model changes from year to year. That's ok with me, and I believe ok with Alfa core enthusiasts. My 18 Ti Q4 has been mechanically bullet proof; delivering miles of smiles. With a couple bolt on bits and a flash tune I added 100 hp 130 tq. The Dealership is always supportive, never disappointing. No car lines are perfect; they all have some problems with either product, dealer support, warranty issues, etc. Just read the Porsche - BMW - Audi - heck, any of the owner forums. Plenty of unhappy, and happy owners. Perhaps some here would be better suited in a Kia.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Motor Trend magazine sure does love their Giulia Q2 Ti. In the August 2019 issue, the SIDE BET article pits the Giulia against the "just redesigned" $59,920 2019 BMW 330i. Alfa wins the comparison with the quote: "The Alfa is the best, most satisfying, most visceral sport sedan... It's the modern 3 Series." Then, in the March 2020 issue in the MT GARAGE article VERDICT, they say good bye to their long term 2018 Q2 Ti after 21,926 miles. "...because like all stereotypes, those nasty generalizations aren't really true. The Alfa is a great car, no matter what the internet says." The only real knock was for the infotainment system having an occasional bug that would cause it to reset itself. Mine did this and was corrected by the Dealer flashing an update (085 software), free of charge. They also took issue with the parking sensor programming (another update that I had done with my 085 update) and the start-stop feature "too eager to activate when the interior is still too warm or too cold." Start-stop can be deactivated with the push of a button. Best driving sport sedan for the price, period.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
The GTV6 was technically a much better car than any 944. Also, Alfa sold almost as many of that design as Porsche did any of the 944 range, including the essentially identical Alfetta four cylinder version. Add in the Milano and that chassis outsold the 944 by about 3:1.

The 944 was not a good car, even in its final iteration. The subsequent Boxster/Cayman saved Porsche from bankruptcy only after the front engine 944/968/928 designs were abandoned. Technically, the 928 style morphed into the SUV which is the only product Porsche can sell profitably.

Alfas difficulties have mostly been driven by engineering cars at too high a cost for the marketplace. SAAB suffered from the same unwillingness to build cheap enough cars to be profitable. The main car buyers have no idea how to drive, don't like driving even if they think they do and are literally unable to determine whether the car they are about to buy is any good to drive.

A minority of customers for real cars buys Alfa Romeo in preference to Porsche or BMW. Apart from the Cayman, which is a ridiculously noisy and uncomfortable car to drive on the street, I can't think of a German car I would prefer to a Giulia or even a little French car for that matter.

PS the entertainment systems in any car I buy are located under the engine cover. Anyone who cares what the car stereo system is like is part of the majority of car buyers who don't know anything about the capabilities of the car they are buying. The very first thing I do when test driving a car is switch off the entertainment system. It stays off for the entire drive. The salesperson also usually stops talking within the first 100 meters.....

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
The GTV6 was technically a much better car than any 944. Also, Alfa sold almost as many of that design as Porsche did any of the 944 range, including the essentially identical Alfetta four cylinder version. Add in the Milano and that chassis outsold the 944 by about 3:1.

The 944 was not a good car, even in its final iteration. The subsequent Boxster/Cayman saved Porsche from bankruptcy only after the front engine 944/968/928 designs were abandoned. Technically, the 928 style morphed into the SUV which is the only product Porsche can sell profitably.

Alfas difficulties have mostly been driven by engineering cars at too high a cost for the marketplace. SAAB suffered from the same unwillingness to build cheap enough cars to be profitable. The main car buyers have no idea how to drive, don't like driving even if they think they do and are literally unable to determine whether the car they are about to buy is any good to drive.

A minority of customers for real cars buys Alfa Romeo in preference to Porsche or BMW. Apart from the Cayman, which is a ridiculously noisy and uncomfortable car to drive on the street, I can't think of a German car I would prefer to a Giulia or even a little French car for that matter.

PS the entertainment systems in any car I buy are located under the engine cover. Anyone who cares what the car stereo system is like is part of the majority of car buyers who don't know anything about the capabilities of the car they are buying. The very first thing I do when test driving a car is switch off the entertainment system. It stays off for the entire drive. The salesperson also usually stops talking within the first 100 meters.....
Go look up the SCCA records for the 944...then look up the race history of the GTV6. The torque tube was a much better design than the two-piece 3 donut Alfa drive shaft. It was the 996/Boxster generation of Porsches that brought them back from disaster...and they've done it on their own. Alfa made unprofitable cars because they were controlled and subsidized by the Italian government (not know for being good managers) and so no one was minding the store. Fiat has catabolized the names of every marque they've absorbed...and left them all in ruins. I don't use the infotainment system, but I do listen to the radio. The best thing that could happen to Alfa would be for VW to buy it.

·
Administrator
12,723 Posts
VW lied to the world with their NOT clean diesels. Personally the company should have sued out of business!

Pete

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
How many owners of post '75 Alfas (an other makes) took off their catalytic converters and made other modifications to cheat emissions and gain horsepower? I'll take speed and performance over a "green new deal" every day of the week. I find a greater scandal in how the governments have screwed motorists with absurd rules that are supposed to make cars safer but have only made cars cost more. I applaud VW for having the guts to stick their finger in the EPA's eye.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts