Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to go to the Daytona 24 hour race this year and am looking for information/tips. I've never been to this track or town and don't know my way around.

Where are the best spots to view the race? Is it worthwhile to purchase any of the ticket packages offered? Do they sell pit passes? Parking at the track or off site? Can you leave track and re-enter?

Bar recommendations?

Thanks for reading.

Mark

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
This will be our 3rd year going. There are 4 of us, we rent an Air Bnb or VRBO in Daytona Beach. Good bit of night life there and its a short cab ride to track. Your have in and out privileges with ticket/wristband. We also get the pit area pass, its worth it. We usually mill around quite bit during the race. Watching the race at night in the grand stands is an experience.

·
Registered
22 Posts
To SpiderSlam5, no Alfas in the 24 hour race. Their will be 2 Alfa Romeo Giuliettas in the IMSA Michelin Pilot Challenge Series on Friday January 25. It will be shown on NBCSN on Wednesday February 6 at 1:00 to 3:00 pm EST. The one Alfa that ran at the Roar Before the 24 was at the bottom of the time sheet. Looking forward to seeing them race.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Besides the Giuletta running today/Friday in the Michelin race I will be watching Scott Maxwell, #15 Mustang, GS, in the 24.
Met him a few times thru work. Go Scott.

·
Registered
277 Posts
With 20+ minutes to go & the Daytona 24 Hours under a 'red-flag', I think it's fair to say ALONSO & team have won it!

Unfortunately for the attendees it was a REAL wash-out.....rain, rain, & more rain! Hours(?) of yellow-flag laps & finally 'red-flagged(twice)'.

Regards

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Not a BMW fan. . . but

I noticed a familiar name on the #25 BMW, Conner DiPhillippi. Met him 6-7 years at a shop I was working at. Conner was glad handing anybody he could see, handing out a shinny brochure from a satchel full of them. He was trying to move up into Indy Lights but eventually moved into European endurance driving.
Good to see he has landed back in the USA with a good ride with BMW.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
It turned into the 20 Hours of Daytona.

Some of the finishing positions were the luck of timing for fuel stops. Early in the AM, 1 or 2, I was following the factory 911, who was able to gradually reel in the Corvettes and pass them both, and sat up front for a long time. Then this morning I see they dropped back and ended up 5th or so.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Yeah I am happy for Risi Competizione too, especially because they are a private team. Apparently the owner has several Ferrari dealerships in the Houston area. It's pretty amazing to me that they can compete successfully against Ford, Porsche, BMW, and Chevy.
Bill

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Yeah I am happy for Risi Competizione too, especially because they are a private team. Apparently the owner has several Ferrari dealerships in the Houston area. It's pretty amazing to me that they can compete successfully against Ford, Porsche, BMW, and Chevy.
Bill
Agreed.. Tough to race against factory teams without factory support. The owner Giuseppe is an interesting guy.. If I remember correctly he came to the states at Enzos request.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts