Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
That thing was owned by a collector,Lawrence Auriana (sic) who was in England and lives wherever he wants and sent his car to show. He owns a few .. like 200 .. we will never be able to own. His claim to riches is he started out delivering pizzas. His attendant for the car was a real **** sapien and a good guy . We had dinner with him . The car rests in NJ when it isn't in the sun. Fantastic car that was wrecked by Henry Wessels (sic) who dabbled in crap like this when no one wanted them.. ala Ferrari GTO's. John iicar can chime in the details. I think it's called a 3000CM.
Fusi should get you started on this one. U.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
That thing was owned by a collector,Lawrence Auriana (sic) who was in England and lives wherever he wants and sent his car to show. He owns a few .. like 200 .. we will never be able to own. His claim to riches is he started out delivering pizzas. His attendant for the car was a real **** sapien and a good guy . We had dinner with him . The car rests in NJ when it isn't in the sun. Fantastic car that was wrecked by Henry Wessels (sic) who dabbled in crap like this when no one wanted them.. ala Ferrari GTO's. John iicar can chime in the details. I think it's called a 3000CM.
Fusi should get you started on this one. U.
1953 Alfa Romeo 6C 3000 CM
In the spring of 1955 the Alfa Romeo factory received a somewhat special order. It came from the Argentine presidential palace, the President would like to have a special version of Alfa’s 6C 3000. Well, a stock of 6C cars at the factory wasn’t exactly available, so you had to find a donor car???. One of the factory’s engineers, Giuseppe Busso, got the job. On Alfa’s stock he found a donor car with chassis no. AR * 1361.00126. This was a Berlinetta, with a body of Colli. The car had driven 24 hours of Le Mans in 1953, in fact the last time Alfa Romeo officially participated in the race. The driver at the time was none other than Juan Manuel Fangio, another Argentine connection to the car. Allegedly, Fangio had later damaged the car violently. Busso had to remove the body and begin a major restoration work on the chassis. Then it was transferred to Mario Boano, whom would create a new body on his carozzaria Boano.
Chassis 00126, 3495cc inline six-cylinder, 275hp @ 6500 rpm, aluminum body over steel tubular frame chassis.

First raced by Juan Manuel Fangio at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1953, this Alfa Romeo 3000 CM has had a very thrilling life. Designed for road and track racing, this rare Alfa Romeo was engineered for the 1953 Sport Cars World Championship and namely to take part to the Mille Miglia and 24 Hours of Le Mans races.

It is one in a series of six cars first built by Alfa Romeo that year. Four were berlinettas (coupes) and two spiders, all originally made by Carrozzeria Colli.

At least four of those racecars were subsequently re-bodied by famous coachbuilders. Boano re-bodied this car in 1954 and one year later, in 1955, Alfa Romeo presented the new sport car to General Juan Peron, president of Argentina.

In August 1970, noted Alfa Romeo collector H.W. Wessells brought the 6C 3000 CM back to life was when he bought it from Ed Bond of the Vintage Car Store in Nyack, NY. The second revival started after Wessells totaled the Boano Berlinetta racing it in the 1984 Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix. (It has a race history in Pittsburgh) He decided to restore the CM in Italy with Salvatore Diomante of Autocostruzioni S.D. at Nichelino who returned to its original Colli Coupe body design.

This car was called “Tipo 6C 3000 CM” where CM does not stand for Campionato del Mondo, nor for Competizione Maggiorata, nor Corte Maggiore but stands for “Cilindrata Maggiorata” because of its increased (maggiorata) displacement (cilindrata).

Mr. Wessells sold this car to current owner, Lawrence Auriana, an Italian car collector for whom both the late Phil Hill, son Derek Hill and Joe Colasacco have driven at Monaco, Le Mans, Goodwood and Monterey. Lawrence Auriana, is a successful businessman and very well-regarded in the historic racing community. Professionally, Auriana is a Senior Portfolio Manager and founder of the Federated Kaufmann Fund, part of Federated Investors based in Pittsburgh.

All of the Pittsburgh ties is why it was selected as the poster car for the Convention and Spotlight Car for the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix.

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
Rick, the attendant and caretaker for the car, told me a story that the car was crashed by Fangio in the MM and broke a front suspension member that literally caused the steering of that wheel to be totally incapacitated by the crash and the car still finished second.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Boy, he just asked what it was, not the owners bio. Even if it was public record and online, and if it wasn't then its worse. Don't really think that was necessary though.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I would like to chime in here and add my congratulations to the Three Rivers Chapter of AROC, and all others involved, on a very enjoyable and well run convention this year. For a new chapter to take on a national convention, and pull it off tremendously well, requires heroic efforts! I know from personal experience what a huge organizational responsibility this entails, plus trying your best to make your guests happy and content.

With the Pittsburgh Vintage GP running concurrently, and the thousands of cars on display, there was a lot to take in and tons of information to try to communicate to convention-goers. I think they pulled that off extremely well... all you had to do was focus in and read through the website a couple of times!

My son Mike and I had a wonderful time, and my faithful S4 Spider ran flawlessly. I was very impressed by the number of new Alfas at the convention, evidence that Alfisti here in North America are staunchly supporting our favorite marque. One of the highlights we experienced was when FCA International Design Director Ralph Gilles gave us a tour of his custom GTV R, loaded with Alfaholics gear and a very hot Twin Spark 2.1 liter. Photos below...

And, our Alfista amico and AROC V/P Enrique Zuniga, typically tireless and energized, planted securely next to son Mike at the Double-Wide Grille, Thursday evening's meet and greet.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
The light on Friday night was magic. All my good pictures were taken then.

Who brought this Giulia with the non-factory color?

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Boy, he just asked what it was, not the owners bio. Even if it was public record and online, and if it wasn't then its worse. Don't really think that was necessary though.
It was no tmy intention to upset you by providing the backstory on the car. It's an excerpt from an article I composed and edited based upon the information I was supplied by the owner in 2015. You can find my article here:

Amelia Island 2015: The Auriana Collection

The car was part of the impetus of our proposal to hosting the 2019 convention and i spent a good deal of time making sure we could get it here as well as have an artist create a poster with that very car on it for the convention. There is a good deal more history and I only shared the basic info.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I would like to chime in here and add my congratulations to the Three Rivers Chapter of AROC, and all others involved, on a very enjoyable and well run convention this year. For a new chapter to take on a national convention, and pull it off tremendously well, requires heroic efforts! I know from personal experience what a huge organizational responsibility this entails, plus trying your best to make your guests happy and content.

With the Pittsburgh Vintage GP running concurrently, and the thousands of cars on display, there was a lot to take in and tons of information to try to communicate to convention-goers. I think they pulled that off extremely well... all you had to do was focus in and read through the website a couple of times!
Thank you very very much for the kind words! It was a real pleasure to meet you guys and your kind words in registration put the wind back into our sails. It was very much appreciated. Thanks so very very much!

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
Thank you very very much for the kind words! It was a real pleasure to meet you guys and your kind words in registration put the wind back into our sails. It was very much appreciated. Thanks so very very much!
ditto the kudos.. well done .. disappointed more old cars didn't show from a 300 mile radius I know were tucked away. You did a great job!!!

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I had never seen a 6C 3000CM before, in the flesh. Very impressive early '50s race car, especially as it was driven by Fangio. Mike had never seen the 105 GTC, either, so we both checked off some bucket list Alfas. And when somebody drove across the green Friday evening departing in a Euro market 156 (or 159?)... that was the icing on the cake.

I've seen some concours events, and car shows, but I have never seen that many cars displayed in one place! And yes Bertha... it was hot.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Alfaloco: It was great to meet you and chat while waiting to wash our Spiders after the rally on Friday. Great stories of your and your son's love for Alfa's, and maintaining your spider from original purchase.

Steve
Likewise here, Steve... the members are the best part of AROC, indeed the entire Alfa community. My Alfisti friends and acquaintances are some of the most generous, considerate, and enjoyable people I know. And Mike? He wanted a GTV 6 from the get-go, as his first car. No Spider, certainly not a 164, but a GTV 6. We lucked out and found his in New Mexico in 2014.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts