Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for an independent repair shop that will quote on the repair/replacement of my sun roof and replacement of the engines thermostat. The local dealer in Marin County quoted $2,100 to replace the sunroof and $1,200 to replace the engine thermostat. Of course this happens 2 weeks after the warrantee expires.;(

I am in in the north San Francisco Bay area.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Replacing the entire sunroof is a major repair. What could be wrong with it that requires complete replacement?

What makes you think the thermostat needs replacing?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Replacing the entire sunroof is a major repair. What could be wrong with it that requires complete replacement?

What makes you think the thermostat needs replacing?
The dealer's diagnosis.

The sunroof won't close from the vent position. The passenger side stays 'up' and won't go down. Dealer says the cables are stretched.

The ETC light comes on followed by the engine light followed by elevated engine cooling temperature followed by engine temp cooling light followed by 'limp mode'.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What engine?
If it was a Quad, I would have said so.
I am looking for recommendations for a reputable shop that is less costly than the dealer in San Rafael.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Cables don't stretch. They're steel. Loads on sunroof motors are not that high. Also, modern sunroofs are gear driven. I can't imagine what the reference to cables might be. Window lifts have cables but not sunroofs.

Butbit appears Alfa uses a cable drive for the Giulia:

And the price is astounding.

Does the Giulia still have a temperature gauge? I'd be tempted to verify that the engine is getting too hot and the radiator is not before I assumed the thermostat was to blame.

You definitely need a second opinion. My bs detector went into overdrive right away and I'm not even there.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cables don't stretch. They're steel. Loads on sunroof motors are not that high. Also, modern sunroofs are gear driven. I can't imagine what the reference to cables might be. Window lifts have cables but not sunroofs.

Butbit appears Alfa uses a cable drive for the Giulia:

And the price is astounding.

Does the Giulia still have a temperature gauge? I'd be tempted to verify that the engine is getting too hot and the radiator is not before I assumed the thermostat was to blame.

You definitely need a second opinion. My bs detector went into overdrive right away and I'm not even there.
Thank you. I have made no assumptions about the diagnosis that came from the dealership where I've been taking my Giulia for routine service for the last two years. They should have the skills, since they service Pagani, Ferrari & Lamborghini. Probably one reason the labor rate pushes the estimate up so high.

The electric cooling fans do come on, and the engine temperature does drop one bar when I put the windows down and turn the cabin heater on full high. So yeah, the engine is truly getting hot. Yes, I want a second opinion from a local shop. Can anyone give me a recommendation on a trustworthy shop on the SF bay area that has experience with contemporary Alfa?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you. I have made no assumptions about the diagnosis that came from the dealership where I've been taking my Giulia for routine service for the last two years. They should have the skills, since they service Pagani, Ferrari & Lamborghini. Probably one reason the labor rate pushes the estimate up so high.

The electric cooling fans do come on, and the engine temperature does drop one bar when I put the windows down and turn the cabin heater on full high. So yeah, the engine is truly getting hot. Yes, I want a second opinion from a local shop. Can anyone give me a recommendation on a trustworthy shop on the SF bay area that has experience with contemporary Alfa?
Double checked the dealers service report.
It states that the sunroof cables have "come apart".
and
"Checked coolant flow control valve, found excessive resistance, suggest to replace it."

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There are more than two engine types.
Really? In this country? What would the third engine type be? I can only imagine that in Europe there might be a diesel or something....

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
There are three models: base, Ti and QF but only two engines in our market. The base and the Ti use the same spec four cylinder.

I interpret "excessive resistance" to mean electrical resistance. There's no way to check for actual coolant flow resistance. Do they mean a coolant sensor is showing excessive resistance? Looking at the thermostat advertised on eBay shows a pretty complex looking unit with several sensors. The actual thermostat will be a regular wax pellet style I expect.

Looks like the stop start system may be connected to the cooling system there also. There's usually an electric pump that keeps coolant circulating while the engine is stopped. I think oil flow continues also. Certainly the stop start system needs a temperature input

I'd still want to check the actual running temperature with an infrared heat sensor tool rather than assume the car is reading actual,temperatures accurately. The various electrical circuits controlling the cooling fan and so on may take inputs from that housing rather than off the radiator or coolant hoses as in past times.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There are three models: base, Ti and QF but only two engines in our market. The base and the Ti use the same spec four cylinder.

I interpret "excessive resistance" to mean electrical resistance. There's no way to check for actual coolant flow resistance. Do they mean a coolant sensor is showing excessive resistance? Looking at the thermostat advertised on eBay shows a pretty complex looking unit with several sensors. The actual thermostat will be a regular wax pellet style I expect.

Looks like the stop start system may be connected to the cooling system there also. There's usually an electric pump that keeps coolant circulating while the engine is stopped. I think oil flow continues also. Certainly the stop start system needs a temperature input

I'd still want to check the actual running temperature with an infrared heat sensor tool rather than assume the car is reading actual,temperatures accurately. The various electrical circuits controlling the cooling fan and so on may take inputs from that housing rather than off the radiator or coolant hoses as in past times.
Thank you Michael. I appreciate your analysis.

Ross

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I am looking for an independent repair shop that will quote on the repair/replacement of my sun roof and replacement of the engines thermostat.
Car dealers and car-repair shops aren't known for their sunroof repair expertise. If it was me, I'd look for a shop that installs and repairs sunroofs.

·
Administrator
15,872 Posts
I'll keep out of this thread. I'm a little frustrated that the PO thinks if we don't know the engine options available in America we must be some sort of fool ... we don't even know the year of his car ...

Most people start a help thread with: Hi, my car is a YYYY Model, engine, etc. and has this issue I'd like help with please :)
Pete

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
There are different 2lt variants. One thing I have worked on with the Giulia is the cooling system. I could have given this person an estimate on repair time. Instead hes on my ignore list. Not my problem.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts