Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for an independent repair shop that will quote on the repair/replacement of my sun roof and replacement of the engines thermostat. The local dealer in Marin County quoted $2,100 to replace the sunroof and $1,200 to replace the engine thermostat. Of course this happens 2 weeks after the warrantee expires.;(

I am in in the north San Francisco Bay area.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Replacing the entire sunroof is a major repair. What could be wrong with it that requires complete replacement?

What makes you think the thermostat needs replacing?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Replacing the entire sunroof is a major repair. What could be wrong with it that requires complete replacement?

What makes you think the thermostat needs replacing?
The dealer's diagnosis.

The sunroof won't close from the vent position. The passenger side stays 'up' and won't go down. Dealer says the cables are stretched.

The ETC light comes on followed by the engine light followed by elevated engine cooling temperature followed by engine temp cooling light followed by 'limp mode'.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What engine?
If it was a Quad, I would have said so.
I am looking for recommendations for a reputable shop that is less costly than the dealer in San Rafael.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Cables don't stretch. They're steel. Loads on sunroof motors are not that high. Also, modern sunroofs are gear driven. I can't imagine what the reference to cables might be. Window lifts have cables but not sunroofs.

Butbit appears Alfa uses a cable drive for the Giulia:

And the price is astounding.

Does the Giulia still have a temperature gauge? I'd be tempted to verify that the engine is getting too hot and the radiator is not before I assumed the thermostat was to blame.

You definitely need a second opinion. My bs detector went into overdrive right away and I'm not even there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts