Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Everyone,
Just a word of warning if you are considering buying a Giulia TI. After reading Consumer Reports and Car and Driver I bought a new Giulia TI, 2017, in February 2017. At 3,955 miles the car spent 14 days in the shop for a fluid lead at the transmission output shaft seal. On November 2, 2017, at 9,000 miles, the car's fuel pump broke in rush hour traffic and then the entire electrical system shut down. The car spent another 13 days in the shop. The cumulative time in the shop in the first 8 months has been 27 days.

Chrysler offered me $1,500 to compensate for the inconvenience but in order to receive the money asked me to sign a waiver of liability so that I would not be able to enact a Lemon Law complaint in the future. Of course, I am declining this offer and have every expectation that the car will break down again soon and I will satisfy the Lemon Law provisions. Unless you have another car to use I recommend staying away from the Giulia TI.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Transmissions are supplied by ZF. That same transmission equips BMW, Jaguar, Ford, GM etc etc. Not Alfa failure.

Software glitches did occur in early build cars. Nothing wrong with the car but annoying nonetheless. Stop start issue was said to be associated with use of the remote start feature. All those bugs are supposedly fixed by now with updates installed in all Giulias.

I call BS on the fuel pump failure. These are also not made by Alfa and are standard products probably from Bosch. Anyway, low mileage failures of modern electric fuel pumps are almost unheard of.

I'd take the $1,500 and smile. That's a lot of money for such minor inconvenience. Warranty will still cover every defect for what four more years? Sounds like all your gremlins occurred at once. Not sure why you posted the link to the bill of sale and only two work orders.

·
Registered
301 Posts
You should have taken the $1500. Sorry to say, sympathy will probably be a little hard to come by on this forum. An Alfa Romeo of any vintage is not a great choice for most single-car households unless your need for a working car is very flexible. These are semi-exotic cars with typical Italian build quality (not great).

I'm not saying these newer Alfas don't have issues that the dealers (and the brand) need to fix. I was driving the new Alfa Stelvio with 2200 miles on it the other day. At a stop light on an incline, pushed the gas... car didn't do anything and began rolling backwards downhill and all interior electronics went dead. Two seconds later, car worked normally again.

It's an Alfa.

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
Sorry to hear about your experience. Most folks here are rooting for Alfa to succeed, but they definitely have had some problems so far. I know that FCA has been required to buy back several Giulias under California's lemon law.

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
I tend to agree with Renee721. I certainly would not sign away my legal rights. Hey, we all want FCA to succeed. I hope this category was created so that owners can share their experiences with this new Alfa. Yes, some may experience more issues than other owners but coming down on them is not the answer.
From what I have read FCA may be experiencing problems not expected and delays with repairs have been problematic. Their network of dealers is just not comprehensive enough to cover every owner in every locale, especially in low population areas. We only have one dealership in a area of over 1 million and they also serve Fiat.
I am hoping to use owner feedback to decide whether to buy by heart or common sense. Since it would primary be my spouses drive I am leaning toward a marque that has 3-4 dealerships locally, plus almost one in every major city in Oregon. I know...not that many.
I appreciate all owners input. I believe it's important to the owner, but maybe more so to FCA.
Since we are not the ones sitting along the roadside waiting for a tow, let's cut some slack.
Cheers, Jon

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Renee

The documents you posted show your home address, cell phone number, and personal email address. In an age of identify theft, this is a very bad idea. Please remove the attachment, and if you decide to re-post it, remove the personal identifying information.

Sorry to hear that you and your new Gulia, aren't getting along.

Bye

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
When you have 10,000 parts from different sources, anything can happen. New cars are not typically prone to failure but it does happen. New parts are installed, the warranty covers it and down the road, you go. Figure you will have some issues in the first 10,000 miles as parts get broken in and from then on the car should not have any issues Keep the faith! Get to know your service manager on a first name basis so you can have issues resolved in a timely manner. I wonder why it took so long to get the car out of the shop?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Renee sorry to hear,
it's not only Alfa that has issues, I do work for one of the largest Mercedes dealer on the east coast and when you walk in service area you are amazed of things going on, dashes out, heads off the engines and so on, friend of mine is the GM at BMW dealer and same thing going on there, to make appointment for regular maintenance is three week backup. About 10 years ago they where replacing complete engines without letting their customers know. I have a first year redesign 2014 Range Rover Sport and it just spent 3 weeks in the shop because they could not figure out why it was revving at 3500rpm at cold start up. I din't mind because they gave me a Jaguar to drive for the time.
Point being is that it's not only Alfa. When I had my 164 automatic (bought new for my wife had it for 5 years) the only thing that went wrong was the trans (not Alfa) My GTV6 never had any issues (bought new had it for 6years) Had 4 105's one 101, and one 1953 1900. My current 1972 Giulia super runs great and these older cars are easy to work on.
Hope it gets better for you.

·
Premium Member
15,431 Posts
I can understand why he is frustrated, but he did violate the number one rule for buying a new model car. Either don't, waiting for a year or so for bugs to be eliminated or at least reduced, or be prepared to be the Beta tester for the new model, with a few unforeseen problems potentially rearing their ugly heads. I think that is a given.

Owners of anything new just have a way of discovering weird faults that the designers never imagined of, lol.

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
I think this is a different case than the typical "new model" from an established brand. Alfa has only one chance because the media are more than happy to bring up cliches from 40 years ago about Alfa quality and reliability. If the Giulia and Stelvio aren't ready to compete with the German brands now, there won't be a future for Alfa to get things corrected.

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
I think this is a different case than the typical "new model" from an established brand. Alfa has only one chance because the media are more than happy to bring up cliches from 40 years ago about Alfa quality and reliability. If the Giulia and Stelvio aren't ready to compete with the German brands now, there won't be a future for Alfa to get things corrected.
Agreed. FCA doesn't t have the luxury of being almost as good as other auto manufacturers
I am enheartened that the Stelvio seems to be trouble free, so perhaps the solved problems in the Giulia can be put to good use. It would have been an asset if FCA had put the dealerships under a stand alone building. I'm not sure a Dodge/ Jeep dealership have the same concerns regarding Alfa Romeo customers.
I Wish them good fortune as they are trying to develop sales of a mainstream sedan/SUV
Cheers, Jon

·
Registered
167 Posts
Very sorry to hear about your experience with the Ti but I have had the exact opposite experience, 7000 miles of driving perfection and (unfortunately) I have to drive it a lot in stop and go traffic (I would advise buying the Corsa Exhaust from Centerline and Magnaflo, it really adds to the car).

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I can understand why he is frustrated, but he did violate the number one rule for buying a new model car. Either don't, waiting for a year or so for bugs to be eliminated or at least reduced, or be prepared to be the Beta tester for the new model, with a few unforeseen problems potentially rearing their ugly heads. I think that is a given.

Owners of anything new just have a way of discovering weird faults that the designers never imagined of, lol.
That was true 40 years ago in the auto industry, and it's just as true today. Spot on, Del.

Another thing. I spotted some posts on facebook recently that smelled of salespeople for competitive marques posting assassination stories on "their" new Alfas. I challenged one of them on the veracity of their "problem", but they never replied. I do not doubt Renee's sincerity here, but be aware that all's fair in love and economic war.

·
Registered
11,661 Posts
I agree with Del that buying a brand new model is always a risk, plus to be really honest it is seriously wasting your money as cars, no matter what marque, devalue enormously over the first year.

BUT we second hand Alfa enthusiasts need somebody to buy the new ones :)

What we all need to remember is they are made in Italy and that can mean that it takes longer to get those parts necessary to get them going again. I imagine that a lot of those 14, etc. days was waiting for the part to turn up, as not a usual part for servicing. This would likely not happen for a locally made car, but then you have to put up with mere transport.

Same thing happens with Ducatis, and yes even with my 156v6, if I need more than just oil and filters I have to source from overseas and wait for them to turn up.
Pete

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
...Another thing. I spotted some posts on facebook recently that smelled of salespeople for competitive marques posting assassination stories on "their" new Alfas...
This is a big problem with the internet, no police, no vetting, virtual anonymity and It’s rife with trolls. All of this information at our fingertips, problem is that most of it is wrong and everything that gets posted seems to remain there in perpetuity.

NOTE: I’m not referring to this thread nor the person who started it, just the general state of the internet as it stands today.

·
Premium Member
15,431 Posts
It IS a problem. The internet has been turned into a real mess, no thanks to low lifes with too much time on their hands.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts