Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, Alfa world, Bob McKeown here, Nashville native, admitted Alfaholic, and founding member of A.L.F.A. Inc. of Tennessee, the Tennessee Chapter. (Actually I'm the only remaining founding member. The others are all still around, at least the ones I'm aware of, they have just drifted away over the years. A lot has happened since 1986!)

Those of you who are aware of our club and have been in the Alfa biz for a while know that we hosted the national convention here in 2001. Most of the feedback we got said it was a great convention, too. The bad part was that it literally worked the life out of the chapter. I swore "never again".

Fast forward thirteen years, and the landscape is different. I've slept many times and forgotten much of the pain. Through an infusion of some great new blood, our local club is bigger and stronger than ever before. And I, as resident rabble rouser, made a pitch for us to host another national convention.

So, we're doing it - we're putting together our bid for the Alfa Owners' national convention in 2016. Some things remain the same: Nashville's still a huge tourist destination; we're within one day's drive of two-thirds of the US population; we have plenty of natural beauty and fine driving roads surrounding us. Some things are different: we'll have the new Corvette Museum track in Bowling Green for our speed events; we have a number of new attractions in and around the city; and there's a great show of post-war Italian cars scheduled to be running that summer at the Frist Center.

One of our driving principles is to try to make this convention fun, yet affordable. Our goal is to have a great convention with pricing that will allow a maximum number of members to attend.

Organizing our 2001 convention was some of the hardest work I've ever done, but also some of the most rewarding. With the new folks we have involved, we're excited about the prospect of making our 2016 convention even better. Stay tuned!

Bob McKeown
Still driving the '66 Duetto I've owned for over 40 years!

·
Premium Member
2,176 Posts
Super! I missed 2001, but will aim for 2016!

I helped host the 2004 convention in New England, and we also swore never again. Then I got sucked into helping with Alfa California out here last year, and it was quite rewarding. Even my old New England friends have gotten over the pain of hosting and are giving it another go next year.

Seems like a dozen years are about right between them.

Thanks for taking this on!

bs

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Bob, and several other A.L.F.A. members, helped us with the 2011 convention in Lexington and we will be eager to return the favor in 2016!

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
2016 Convention Bid

Congratulations on getting a group together that is willing to host a convention in a state that I have never been to. If I live long enough I'll have all 50 states covered in spoons on my U.S. map spoon holder display.

Is anyone bidding on 2015 now that we've covered 2016? Or is Detroit going to go for a twofer?

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
2016 Convention Bid/2015

Thanks for jogging my memory! I remembered hearing that 2 or 3 chapters had gone together to host the 2015 convention and should have put it together with bs' comment above about AONE members having been burnt out by their experience but are willing to do it again.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
My family is looking forward to returning to Tennessee. The 2001 convention was great fun. After spending 3 years on the Alfa California convention, which was very complicated, but worked out well; our burned out committee also said "never again". I still haven't sorted out the stacks of paper work on my desk. Good luck for 2016.--Harly

1 - 8 of 8 Posts