Alfa Romeo Forums banner

2016 AROC Cenvention - Anyone Going?

3K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  jeffb99tx 
#1 ·
I read in this months Alfa Owner magazine that the convention will be honoring the 25 year anniversary of the introduction of the 164. They are asking all owners who can to bring their cars to the convention. They will have cake for us, some special recognition, and a commemorative dash plaque will be issued to those who attend. Check your AROC magazine for more details.

Nashville is a full day's drive from Dallas and I am thinking of going. Now all I have to do is get that timing belt changed and a few other fluid swaps.

I always enjoy getting together with other 164's and their owners. Is anyone else from the forum planning on attending?

Cheers,

#2 ·
Jeff,

I have been considering the trip to Nashville as well. Lately as a rep. for a new company I have been on an austerity budget. My 164-S needs all new belts and a water pump as well. The Duetto is also being celebrated for its 50th anniversary but it is less likely to make the trip. If I go it would most likely be a 'day trip' for the concours (usually on Sunday).

Mark

#8 ·
Roger,

The fact that you will drive your 1959 Touring bodied Alfa from CT to TN is very impressive to me! I suspect you'll be driving over 1,000 miles and about 16 hours or more hours each way. I hope that you have nice weather and a safe trip, uneventful trip.

I can't believe that it has already been 15 years since we took our 1959 Touring Alfa up to TN for their last national convention. I believe it was in 2001, at the same venue. It was a great trip and the convention was very well run and well organized.

On Sunday, shortly after we left the concours, the 'over temp.' warning light came on, on the 164-S, which was alarming. It took a few minutes to realize the engine was not even warm and the temperature gauge was still below the normal range. The sending unit for the 'idiot light' had just malfunctioned. Fortunately that has not happened since the sending unit was replaced 15 years ago.

Mark

Mark,
I am planning to drive my '59 2000 Touring from CT. Was hoping to see your car, but I guess not.
Roger.

#11 · (Edited)
Last time I flew back to Denver from Phoenix I saw an ad in the magazine on the plane for an exhibit of Italian cars in a museum in TN. It would be cool to see while there. Sorry ,I can't remember the details but Google would know.

Here we go.
The exhibition Macchine Italiane: A Tour of Italy’s Motoring Spirit, featuring more than three dozen vehicles, including cars, motorcycles and bicycles will be concurrently on display at Nashville’s Lane Motor Museum from May 26, 2016 through May 22, 2017.

I'm hoping someone is able to go and will post lots of pictures!

#13 · (Edited)
I think it would be hilarious if Alpaca Mike showed up with his 1991 164B with 281,000 miles and counting...He does next to no maintenance...original engine never rebuild, original heads never been rebuilt, original automatic transmission shifting really rough, but it's been doing that for 10 years. He hardly ever changes the oil and the timing belt probably has over 100,000 miles on it. It's white, so looks decent, or would if he ever washed it:) I take back the no maintenance comment...he's going to put a new air filter in it because he's only getting 15 mpg. I may talk him into a new oxygen analyzer if the filter doesn't do the trick:)

Reactions: jeffb99tx
#18 ·
I probably can come close to matching Alpaca Mike's white 164B with Fred D's white 164L with 201,142 miles in its current condition once I change leaking steering rack with the $30 one I won on ebay that is in shipping now.

I will change the oil and the timing belt though!

Interesting to note how both fog light lens are broken the very same way and hood is rusted both sides the same way - new patina look?
I'm at 221k... it's a daily driver too. :grin2:

#15 · (Edited)
I probably can come close to matching Alpaca Mike's white 164B with Fred D's white 164L with 201,142 miles in its current condition once I change leaking steering rack with the $30 one I won on ebay that is in shipping now.

I will change the oil and the timing belt though!

Interesting to note how both fog light lens are broken the very same way and hood is rusted both sides the same way - new patina look?

Attachments

#17 ·
Well since early registration was ending Saturday night, I went ahead and signed up. I am driving up on Thursday and will be there all day Friday and the concourse on Saturday. I am only entering for the show and shine and not for points judging. Heading home on Sunday. Anyone else going? Hope to see you there.

Cheers.

#19 ·
Haven't colored me in or out for convention yet. However, I am having surgery May 24 and doc sez I will be needing 3 weeks recovery time so iffy if I can go.

#20 ·
Ever notice how the older we get, the more we're like computers?

We start out with lots of memory and drive, then we eventually become outdated, crash at odd moments, acquire errors in our systems, and have to have our parts replaced, lol.

Just turned 74 today.

#21 ·
Happy birthday, Del. Sharon also had a birthday today. We drove the red car to Anacortes for a late lunch. My son visiting from NZ took the black one to Horseshoe Bay, north of Vancouver, BC to see a friend.

#26 ·
Bump to see if anyone is going through north Texas on their way to Nashville. I will be taking IH-30 through Texarkana to Little Rock and then onto IH-40 through Memphis to Nashville. I am most likely leaving early Thursday morning, but I may talk the wife into leaving late Wednesday afternoon.

Hope to see some 164s there.

Cheers and safe travels everyone.

Jeff

#27 ·
Hi Jeff

I am leaving from Connecticut on Thursday.

Anybody wishing to join me there welcome.

A large group of cars are leaving on Friday including Fred's F. group.

Happy trails.

See you at the convention.

Frank

Reactions: jeffb99tx
#28 ·
Mary Lee and I not leaving for convention until 16 June and doing a RON in Blacksburg, VA.

We should arrive on the Nashville scene Friday evening June 17. We are lucky to get to go at all this year even if for just last two days.

Buster the Doxie's foster mom couldn't take him until June 15. ML is staying over after convention to do a Thelma and Louise with her sister and nieces but I have to get back to get Buster.

Hope to see ya'll there.

#29 ·
Steve, et al,

Leaving tonight for Nashville with a stop over in Texarkana. The car has a new timing belt, water pump, ATX fluid changed and screen cleaned, new motor oil and filter, topped off the AC, rotated and balanced tires, and is clean. He also checked the condition of the various belt pulleys and tensioners. I even checked the air pressure in the spare tire. I got the green light from my mechanic and are hoping for a fun road trip with no unexpected mechanical issues. I will bring a few simple tools, flashlights, spare quart of oil and a cell phone.

I will try and post a few pictures along the way and I might even find some fellow Alfa's on the trip. Also, stopping by Graceland on our way through Memphis. Sometimes the fun is in the journey and sometimes it is the destination. I am hoping this is one of both.

Cheers everyone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.