Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Details on THC-AROC spring tour - April 11, 2015

The THC-AROC spring tour will start at the Whole Foods at the Hill Country Galleria in Bee Cave for an informal breakfast and tire kicking, followed by about 150 miles of mixed twisties and fast paved roads through the heart of the hill country. Along the way, we'll enjoy bluebonnets in bloom, great driving, and a group lunch at the Pecan Street Brewery in Johnson City (Pecan Street Brewing | Brew Pub, Restaurant, Live Music | Texas Hill Country) where "the ballroom" will be reserved for Alfisti and friends.

Please RSVP to me ([email protected]) with the number in your party by Monday April 6 to make sure the restaurant is prepared for the crowd. Tour instructions and lunch details will be sent out in response to your RSVP.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Folks, make sure to get your RSVP's in to Dean....I will be sponsoring breakfast but I also need a decent headcount :)

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,033 Posts
Bluebonnet Update

Started early 2 weeks ago and appear to be peaking ! Indian Paintbrush already coming up. Should be great!

Attachments

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,033 Posts
Prelim trip out to check out the scene. VERY pretty. Trees very full and fuzzy. Lots of wildflowers. LOTS of people out! Make sure and book this one. Free breakfast from Peter!

PS: this road was CR2147/CR404 from SH281 to CR410 nearby our place.

Attachments

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rescheduled for May 23

The likelihood of heavy rain led to rescheduling this drive to May 23. No bluebonnets, but hopefully dry roads, great friends, and good food. Details will follow.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And now the rain probability has dropped from 80% to 40%, with nothing shown on weather radar. Very frustrating.

In my next life I want to be a weather forecaster.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,033 Posts
Nice Day, Sorry You missed It

We braved the very wrath of God to venture out to look at flowers shrouded in mist. As did half of Austin and Houston also apparently. Ran across (twice) a bevy of 40-50 BMW's (and we thought they were the woosies), several motorcycle groups and two bicycle tours. Sprinkles and mist and a bit dreary in AM until crossing the 281, then just overcast, and dry after noon. Not may flowers east of 281. We continued down the 1323 to the Willow City loop which was AMAZING and rewarded us well. It was the highlight of the day. Routed back on the 16 through Fredricksburg and in 290 and soiuth on Old San Antonio Rd to Alamo Springs Cafe for one of those massive "cover" burgers we did on a tour many years ago (and several times since). Still no rain eating outside. No rain all the way back home. Not many flowers south of 290 either. Did 216 miles. You might try and get out in the next week and make it to the Willow Loop road past Wilow.

Attachments

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,033 Posts
And a few more pics. On the BMW group we ran into at Stripes in JC, there were virtually no old ones. I did not even see a 2002 or earlier. But they flocked around the Giulia and took pics. What's up with that? We also ran into their regatta on the Willow Loop again and got continual thumbs up. Get out there and drive!!!

PS: "Cover Burger" construction: 1/2 lb Angus beef 80%, jalapeno/cheese bun, 2 slices of cheese, Chipolte sauce, grilled onion and verde chilis, lettuce, pickle, tomato, avocado = a jawbreaker = yum

Attachments

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
And now the rain probability has dropped from 80% to 40%, with nothing shown on weather radar. Very frustrating.

In my next life I want to be a weather forecaster.
[/QUOTE]

It misted and drizzled off and on all day in San Antonio. Looks like the wet stuff just didn't make it as far as the tour route.

Great photos, Bruce! The hill country in full bloom is always a good thing to see.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,033 Posts
Ok, a few more. DO try and make it out if you can. Kristy & I plan several more forays in the next two weeks, Fred wants to join in also. The first one was the worst low water crossing we encountered. It only had about 4" of water. Most were dry. I know, I know Dean, don't rub it in. We wouldn't have minded a little rain as long as LWC's were not flooded and the estimates only showed some 0.25" - not enough to flood. So we ventured out.

Attachments

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,033 Posts
BTW. This was a pic we took last July along CR1323. Different flowers but still very nice.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
[
QUOTE=Anfanuts;6186145]BTW. This was a pic we took last July along CR1323. Different flowers but still very nice.
[/QUOTE]

We'll never see it, but if Microsoft liked Texas this photo could be the default screen image for Windows 10. It's now my desktop background.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
The magic of the Hill Country called us too. We where just a few hours behind you Bruce. This was an amazing year for wildflowers. We went out on both April 11th and then again on the 14th on several unpaved roads and had to forge a rocky stream (free car-wash).

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,033 Posts
And Another Trip

Hey you guys, you don't have to wait to get out. The bluebonnets have peaked and are well into seed, but the purple, orange, and yellow wildflowers are now in bloom. Did a 4 hours trip out the NE side of the highland lakes 1431 north of Marble Falls, FM2432, Park Road 4 along Inks Lake, then around the southern half of Lake Buchanan, which is 24' low now at ~30% full. Hit a new fave locals spot on SH29, Tamale King, for some of the best Mexican food I can recall. Then up 261 and back on 29 trough Llano, and east on the SH71 with a loop through some really rustic roads, CR308/310, then a dash home east on SH71. Get on out!

Attachments

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,033 Posts
And a few more since I can't figure out how to attach a wad like Fred.

Attachments

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,033 Posts
Ok, twist my arm . . . .

Attachments

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,033 Posts
Thanks. A few Alfisti were at lunch yesterday in Blanco after a spirited tour out through some more rural roads, meeting a group from San Antonio. Fred asked if anyone ever commented on these posts. After nearly 1000 hits, someone did!!

PS: Pic of Bob Fernald in his Zen driving state road testing my 69 Spider on a favorite road of his.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
PS: Pic of Bob Fernald in his Zen driving state road testing my 69 Spider on a favorite road of his.
[/QUOTE]

In addition to being a great Alfa engine and race-car builder, a respected authority on old Alfas and their lore, a guy who never met an Alfa he didn't like, Bob is also an experienced race-driver. He is the fastest and safest driver I've ever ridden with. Zen is an accurate description for Bob in this photo; when he's "in the zone" he's always several critical turns ahead of where he actually is. Bob is such a smooth driver, that you may not realize that you are going really fast . . . until you look at the speedometer. You read about people being that good. Well, I can attest that he's the real thing. In another time, guys like Bob might very well have been leading "revanooers" on merry chases with a load of moonshine riding behind the seats. As Junior Jonhson is said to have remarked about his moonshine running days . . . "Them trees start gettin' real close together when you're doing 140 . . .". That's Bob.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts