Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Alonso is out and now Mattiacci is out of Ferrari: :confused:

Ferrari have announced the appointment of Maurizio Arrivabene as their new Formula One team principal, replacing Marco Mattiacci who took over from Stefano Domenicali in April.

Arrivabene comes to Ferrari from tobacco giants and team sponsors Philip Morris, which he joined in 1997, becoming Vice President Consumer Channel Strategy and Event Marketing in 2011. Throughout this time the Italian has been closely involved in the company’s partnership with Maranello and he has also represented all Formula One sponsors on the F1 Commission since 2010.

“We decided to appoint Maurizio Arrivabene because, at this historic moment in time for the Scuderia and for Formula One, we need a person with a thorough understanding not just of Ferrari but also of the governance mechanisms and requirements of the sport,” commented Ferrari Chairman Sergio Marchionne.

“Maurizio has a unique wealth of knowledge: he has been extremely close to the Scuderia for years and, as a member of the F1 Commission, is also keenly aware of the challenges we are facing. He has been a constant source of innovative ideas focused on revitalisation of Formula One. His managerial experience on a highly complex and closely regulated market is also of great importance, and will help him manage and motivate the team. I am delighted to have been able to secure his leadership for our racing activities.”

News of Arrivabene’s appointment comes less than 24 hours after the conclusion of the 2014 season, which saw Ferrari finish a disappointing fourth in the constructors’ championship, having failed to win a race for the first time since 1993.

“We would also like to thank Marco Mattiacci for his service to Ferrari in the last 15 years and we wish him well in his future endeavours” concluded Mr Marchionne.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
The detail I don't get (well there are several, but one of them) is why Mattiacci has to leave the company. All accounts when he started were that it was a temporary position until they structure the company for next year. He wasn't supposed to improve the results as the car was doomed for the rest of the year.

Well, looking forward we have two world champs in a car that will likely not be ready until 2016. Another year to hope for 3rds and 4ths at the most unless something unexpected happens.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
"His managerial experience on a highly complex and closely regulated market is also of great importance, and will help him manage and motivate the team."

Marchionne's been smoking something other than tobacco if he thinks that motivation is the real problem at the Scuderia. With that kind of corporate management mindset, it's likely only a matter of time before it's arrivaderci Arrivabene...

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't get me wrong, I have always liked Kimi; but maybe the Master Plan was to keep Alonso along with Vettel. And just maybe Mattiacci f'ed up and alienated the wrong driver...?

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
That had crossed my mind, but it's hard to believe they let that happen. If the team boss is to build the team of the future, you kind of want to let him know something about the Master Plan.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Required reading at Scuderia HQ:

(Hi Mike. Good to see you on here!)

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Larry:

That was seriously funny...ROTFLMAO!

I try to keep up with the BB, but I spend so much time on the computer for "work," which means writing, that I tend to overlook fun stuff. I'm going to try to keep up with the F1 posts this next season - it should very interesting.

Mike

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
I was torn between that one, and Who Moved My Cheese, also a pretty good job displacement tome (and a lot funnier, too. Sniff and Scurry could be the drivers).

·
Premium Member
2,784 Posts
Ferrari replaces a racer with a bureaucrat, who is replaced by a bigger bureaucrat.

They get rid of perhaps the best racer in F1 with a 4-time champion who couldn't adapt to the new cars. Their new savior was easily bested by a a former Torro Rosso driver.

There is not a single step taken by the team this year that you can easily say will better the team next year.

Are they going to become the F1 equivalent to the Oakland Raiders? What a bummer.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
^ what a crew.......:whistling:

Here is list of 2014 driver salaries

1. Fernando Alonso Ferrari €22m
= Kimi RaikkonenFerrari €22m
=Sebastian Vettel Red Bull Racing €22m
4. Lewis Hamilton Mercedes €20m
5. Jenson ButtonMcLaren-Mercedes €16m
6. Nico Rosberg Mercedes €12m
7. Felipe Massa Williams €4m
= Nico HulkenbergForce India F1 €4m
9. Romain GrosjeanLotus F1 Team €3m
= Pastor MaldonadoLotus F1 Team €3m
= Sergio Perez Force India F1 €3m
12. Adrian Sutil Sauber €2m
13. Kevin MagnuseenMcLaren-Mercedes€1m
= Valtteri BottasWilliams €1m
15. Daniel RicciardoRed Bull Racing €750,000
= Jean-Eric VergneScuderia Toro Rosso €750,000
17. Jules BianchiMarussia €500,000
18. Esteban GutierrezSauber €400,000
19. Daniil Kvyat Scuderia Toro Rosso€250,000
20. Max Chilton Marussia €200,000
21. Marcus EricssonCaterham F1 €150,000
= Kamui KobayshiCaterham F1 €150,000

20% of Jenson's past salary works out to be 3.2 million euros

...also Danny was a steal. Anyone know what he is getting for '15?

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
new virtual safety car

"Formula One racing's governing body, the FIA, has formally confirmed how the new virtual safety car (VSC) system will work ahead of the 2015 season.

The concept was introduced in the wake of Jules Bianchi's crash in last year's Japanese Grand Prix, and was trialled during practice at the last three races of 2014.

The procedures have now been agreed and set out as part of the 2015 sporting regulations, which state the VSC may be used to neutralise a race, and will "normally be used when double waved yellow flags are needed on any section of track and competitors or officials may be in danger, but the circumstances are not such as to warrant the use of the safety car itself".

Once the virtual safety car has been called, all electronic marshal panels around the track will display 'VSC', while teams will be notified via the official messaging system.

Drivers will not be allowed to enter the pits, unless changing tyres, and must stay above the minimum time set by the FIA at least once in each marshalling sector. Cars may not be driven "unnecessarily slowly, erratically or in a manner which could be deemed potentially dangerous," with those who fail to stay above the minimum time to be sanctioned by the stewards.

When the clerk of the course is satisfied it is safe to resume racing, teams will be notified via the official messaging system. Then, "at any time between 10 and 15 seconds later, 'VSC' on the FIA light panels will change to green and drivers may continue racing immediately". After 30 seconds, the green lights will be extinguished.

The FIA also formally confirmed that, as revealed in December last year, double points at the final round and standing restarts after safety car periods have been removed from the 2015 rule book."

·
Premium Member
15,854 Posts
I'm with Dan Gurney on rule changes. He's in favor of no wings and minimum downforce. Too much aerodynamics. Bring back obvious looking car control, with real driver controlled drifting as in the old days. Nowadays you can't tell what the input of the driver is, too much traction.

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
I was looking at a model of Gurney's '68 Eagle Weslake yesterday and thinking about how it is SO much better looking than the current monster-nostril cars.

While I'm impressed by the performance of the current cars, I have to say that I enjoyed F1 racing much more in Gurney's day. I still watch it, but I have no interest in attending in person.

Mike Hemsley

·
Premium Member
15,854 Posts
I remember seeing the F1 GP in Monza in '67, and watching the cars jump and move around as the drivers shifted. None of the overly stiff suspensions and "overkill to the nth degree" aerodynamics we see today. Those very good looking cleanly shaped cars of that age were alive, so it appeared. Very dynamic racing then. Now it's pretty boring relatively speaking, the drivers might as well be playing a computer game or slot cars.

I think the rules should say, no wings front or rear, and no more than ~100 lbs total aero downforce at 100 mph.

·
Premium Member
2,784 Posts
In my opinion, there is no better looking racecar, ever, than Gurney's.

·
Premium Member
15,854 Posts
One very nice looking cleanly shaped car. One of my favorite F1 racers. The later version with wings, not so nice at all.

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Just read that the tires on F1 cars will get wider over the next few years to improve the cars. Wider tires and 1000 hp is what we're going to get. That will certainly make the racing more interesting...sure it will.

One of the best races at the SCCA Runoffs last year was H Production - low hp, narrow tires, and little in the way of aerodynamics. Formula V and Spec Racer are always good races - low hp, narrow tires, simple shapes. I think F1 would be a lot more fun to watch (and to drive, if you are a very good driver) if the cars had narrower tires, fewer aero aids, and enough hp to encourage opposite lock driving. Oh wait, that's what it used to be!

Mike

1 - 20 of 169 Posts