Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read today that Fiat/Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne announced that the 2013 spider will use a Chrysler chassis! Rumors are that they will use the LX platform from the Challenger. I believe this will be a disaster as this car is a long, heavy, and clumsy muscle car not a light, nimble european sports car. I would like to here your guys' opinion on this matter. Thanks in advance for your feedback!

·
Registered
222 Posts
You have got to be kidding me! So far away from Alfa philosophy that I am at a loss for words. On the other hand, we have heard so much other nonsense from this management group with respect to Alfa (SUVs to be built in Ontario; sedan based on the 300 chassis; Alfa returning to North America in 2011, 2012, 2013....) that it is clear that either they do not understand the brand in the least, and have no cohesive plan for its future or they are deliberately putting out outrageous claptrap to test the limits of the defining envelope for the brand in the marketplace.

The only reason I even suggest the latter is that they seem to have hit a homerun in Europe with the new Giulietta, and, while some will quibble with its styling, seem to have come up with a modern embodiment of Alfa philosophy in the 4C.

Frankly, if they can't come to North America with product like the Giulietta or 4C, then I'd just as soon see the brand be sold to V-dub or even die out, so as not to tarnish the halcyon glow that today's Alfisti hold for the brand, probably largely due to the virtues of the 105 series cars. While current management may think that they will have trouble selling euro product not adapted to US consumer tastes on this side of the Atlantic, they will likely have even more trouble selling warmed-over Chrysler product, which the American consumer has already categorically rejected resulting in the Chapter 11 reorganization which lead to FIAT's involvement in the first place.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I completely agree con gusto. This will take the already heavy spider and make it weigh as much as a church. If they modify it at all hopefully they'll have the smarts to shorten it to about 100 inches if not shorter. Let's hope the engineers over at alfa work their Italian magic on it and Pinninfarina somehow makes it more beautiful than it already is.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
If Alfa wants to sell cars in the U.S., then they must live up to the brand's reputation and history, ie. European models as both the 159 (soon to be replaced by a new model (called Giulia presumably), Giulietta and Mito meet Alfisti's wishes.
In Europe lacks Alfa (very much) a light sports cars, the GTVs (105 and 116) and Spider's spiritual successor. I think such a sports car will do very well globally.
Do the Fiat Group, however, wants to sell many cars, for example of European origin in the U.S. so call them Chrysler, Dodge or Fiat. Alfa (and Lancia) are perceived as beautiful and unusual Italian design, sporty or luxury cars.
Erik

1 - 4 of 4 Posts