Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
'91 164S, '17 Giulia Ti Sport, '79 Sport Sedan (previously many GTV6, AlfettaGT, 164s, and Spiders.
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This year, our Alfa Romeo club is in for a treat on the Half Fast Lap of Washington. Our tour will start by heading to Yakima, Toppenish, Zillah, and Walla Walla on the first day… which will end with an evening at a local brewery. This is also Crush week so we will stop at a winery or two as well. The second day will travel through the great roads, towns and history that is the Palouse area, then end up near Soap Lake. The third day will wander a little more of the dry scablands area before returning to the wetter side of the mountains. There is no excuse for our Eastern Washington members to not join us for this great drive. We’re coming to you so don’t miss out… save the date and plan to make your hotel reservations when I share that info on a future post.

Drive Dates: 9/24-9/26 Save the Dates!

·
Registered
'91 164S, '17 Giulia Ti Sport, '79 Sport Sedan (previously many GTV6, AlfettaGT, 164s, and Spiders.
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
We are in for a real treat this year. I spent last weekend sampling the roads and you will enjoy the drive, scenery, and sunshine. Don’t miss out… and make your Hotel reservations by calling them today. The Alfa Romeo club block of rooms are being held for us.

Saturday night: Colonial Inn Walla Walla 509-529-1220

Sunday night: Inn At Soap Lake 800-557-8514

Optional… for those wanting to head out early on Friday and drive to Yakima for Friday night. This group would have an extra tour of Toppenish or Prosser and then meet the Sat AM drivers for the rest of the day.
If you like the Friday option, contact me at: FKTMRussell @ msn.com

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On our Saturday portion of this drive... we're aiming to stop and mingle at two unique wineries; Fidelitas and L'Ecole No41. This is a nice start to our 3 days of wandering.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Jeez, I'm jealous as all get-out!! You WA and OR Alfisti have all the Fun!! Can you teleport me to this run? I promise to not be boring!! I'll bring a geetar !
Honestly, I AM jealous of you top left coast Alfisti, you seem to have such an active Alfa world and club,,
And some pretty Darn Cool roads to enjoy,,,

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with you... we have a few great clubs, members, and cars on this coast as well as countless great roads and scenes to enjoy while driving. The only way to make it better is for you to join us. Simply hop on a flight to Seattle and we'll make sure you get to ride along. (Perhaps even letting you drive if you behave.) The brewery on Saturday night may need a guitar player to improve the evening as well.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you haven't made hotel reservations but want to join us, the reserved blocks of rooms may not be available anymore but it’s worth a try. Call today, or join for a portion!
Our Saturday (9/24) tour will start in Issaquah at the Safeway / Starbucks parking lot at 735 NW Gilman Blvd. at 8:00 AM. Gordy (Vintage Alfa-Red Ford Pickup) will lead you to Yakima on I-90 / I-82 and meet up with our Yakima contingent at Essencia Bakery at 4 N 3rd Street for lunch, at 11:30 AM. The afternoon takes us on back roads and a stop at a winery on the way to Walla Walla.  Staying at the Colonial Inn (509) 529 1220, we may spend the evening enjoying local flavor.
Sunday we’ll wander the great roads, towns and history that is the Palouse area.  We’ll enjoy twisty roads up to a stop at marvelous Palouse Falls, then tour a Dam on the Snake River, a bunch more twisty roads and lunch before going to the top of Steptoe Butte.  We end the day wandering miles across the “Scablands” created by Glacial Lake Missoula, to arrive at the Inn at Soap Lake (800) 557 8514.  
Monday, we loop up Grand Coulee to the Dry Falls area, then east to Moses Coulee, before coming back south to cross the Columbia River at Vantage. Following the Old Vantage Hwy, we’ll stop for a special tour of the Wild Horse Wind Farm before an afternoon meal in Ellensburg.  We enjoy State Route 10 towards Cle Elum on our way back to the wetter side of the mountains. 
Eastern or Western Washington members may head to Yakima Friday and meet us on Saturday morning!  This group would have an extra tour of Toppenish or Prosser and then meet the Sat AM drivers for the rest of the day.  For details, contact just ask!

I plan to provide a full route instruction to all attendees.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It appears almost everything is in place at this point... Friday prior to the drive, we're having a BBQ in Yakima. The rest of the wandering should be great roads and interesting stops. It's going to be good!

·
Registered
440 Posts
You'll love Walla Walla -- my wife and I certainly do

I have just put my '88 Spider on the road (after a 13-month rebuild of a basket case), and hope to have enough gremlins sorted to join you for the drive from Yakima to Walla Walla.

I now have about 60 miles on a rebuilt engine, transmission and brakes, and have run down and fixed most of the little mechanical issues. But non-working turn signals, that so far defy my best efforts at troubleshooting, could keep me close to home.

The Colonial Inn is out on the east side of town. You'll want to car-pool and drive into downtown Walla Walla (with a designated driver for those who want to continue "tasting") to take in the very vibrant scene that has emerged here in just the past few years. Walla Walla's downtown has won numerous awards. Don't miss it.

Arrive downtown in the afternoon and you'll find a number of tasting rooms open. For the evening there are many wonderful downtown restaurants within walking distance of each other. And on Saturday nights at least three -- and sometimes as many as five -- downtown establishments offer live entertainment.

Here are a couple web sites that will help you get the most out of a very neat place to spend time:

Downtown Walla Walla Foundation
Walla Walla, Washington
Wine and Dine Walla Walla

Larry Duthie (Wingwalker on this bulletin board)

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Walla Walla has an event called Gran Fondo going on the night we spend there. It is a wine tasting fundraiser for the local hospital fund. There are a number of cool downtown restaurants taking part so we'll have this as an option as well.

Wingwalker, if you can, meet us at Essencia Bakery in Yakima, Saturday at 11 AM for lunch and join us on our wandering to Walla Walla. Otherwise, enjoy Sunday with us as we head up to Waitsburg, then Starbuck, Palouse Falls, then backroads to Lower Granite Dam, before heading to Colfax and Steptoe Butte.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Thanks, Fred.

I'll tag up with you guys at one or the other of those places -- provided I can get my turn signals working by then. I've been breaking in the engine on back roads, but am leery of doing any highway driving until I get those sorted.

The local parts store thought it ordered a flasher for me, but it turns out that little part is unobtainable locally. So a moment ago I ordered one from IAP. It may be that the flasher is faulty (which I hope is so), but more likely it is something deep in the wiring that will trouble me to no end.

Larry

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Though it isn't always a perfect science, the NOAA weather forecast for our drive region is: Mostly clear. Highs 84 to 90. Lows 51 to 58.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Speeds?

or Temperatures????

:D:D:D

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes to Both!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to all 27 people who joined in on this fun event. From the BBQ start to the Windy end we had a great time enjoying lots of miles, scenery, Honey Crisp apples, tours, history, a winery, and friendship. The only challenges were a few mechanical issues, a little rain, a blinding sunset, and the fear of killing salmon. We had a great mix of cars from a '63 Giulietta Spider, a '66 Giulia Super, a range of spiders, a GTV, a GT Junior with GTam flares, and a few Alfa 3 series. (Manufactured on the BMW assembly lines with fresh Alfa Romeo branding.) We saw lots of cows, tractors, wheat, Ring-Neck pheasants, quail, hawks, salmon, deer, a coyote, horses, mules, and a camel. In all, covering around 850 miles and based on my windshield, the club killed around 224,857 flying bugs.

Now where should we go on next years Half Lap?

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
A camel???????

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Really... The Camel was at a farm just south of the town of Starbuck.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Merril... it looks like you stopped in that 1-horse town along Mohler Road to let the sun go down. Smart and safe!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts