Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 233 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
PLEASE!!! Let's not just look at them... Let's have a race!
see:< Wanted: Your thoughts on Conventions (past & future)

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, that's right Anthony, you also own a GTA!:D

Here are a few pics of my favorite alltime GTA. The old Lee Midgley car still smells of old war stories, it has it's soul intact. Please, leave it as-is.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I'll proudly state that all of the above pictures were taken at Motor City Alfa 2007!!! :D:D:D

At the track, we also had Don Black as the honorary start finish flagger. We did this in very much tribute to Don.

Let's make this a killer annual event!

As for a race, do you think you can get enough cars to have a one day event?? I think we had all of a 12-15 cars that were wheel to wheel race cars at our event. Seems like you would need more than that to pay for a whole track day + insurance.

For coasters- if there WAS a race, how many would come? Perhaps SoCal could put up the insurance?? ;) Heck, I think we could even bend to your rules (of course we can!!!).

If you do, I may just have to figure a way to bring 2 cars to Chicago....

Eric

·
Registered
403 Posts
I would happily enter the wheel to wheel race. Why not just have a 10-15 lap feature race at the end of the time trial day with the grid based on time trial lap times?

Andy

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I would happily enter the wheel to wheel race. Why not just have a 10-15 lap feature race at the end of the time trial day with the grid based on time trial lap times?

Andy
Because if it's an AROC USA sanctioned event, our insurance will not cover a wheel to wheel race.

Eric

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Wheel - Wheel - I am in :D:D Not with a GTA :eek: but with a Spider. :cool:

The West Coast Alfa guys have had more than one chance to come this way and "show" us what they have and have not done it!
1-Alfas at the Glen - Did NOT see Italcarguy nor jrclem
2-Mid Ohio Italian Cars - Did NOT see Italcarguy nor jrclem

It would be great to have all of you here!

I propose we have this RACE at Road America a week before or after the convention! It would be a great kickoff or closuere to the event. RA is plenty big for lot's of Alfas. With this track, we could have more than one class: 1300, 1600, 1750 and 2000 plus other races. The Chicago Chapter has had events here, so they are familiar with what is needed.

Boogity - Booogity - Boogity - Boo, let's go racin boys !

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright west-coast, let us see what you can bring over. For your info., we are looking into creating a separate enduro after the "AROC" track event. As Andy B said, maybe we can take the lap-times and create a grid for a separate gig.;)

·
Registered
525 Posts
Anthony:
How 'bout we put the "spinner" in the RHD GTA that's sitting in the shop (one VIN number away from your and Fabrizio's ex CHT GTA) and see what she'll do in an all North America GTA / GTAM / GTV / Spyder enduro?

·
Registered
106 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
I like the idea of a Road America race it is on the list of track I want to race on. I could make that work in my GTV.

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
I guess I do have time to restore it in time. I wonder how many west coast GTA's I can gather to share truck space. Imagine an 18 wheeler loaded with GTA's, crossing the US! I can bring 2, just need to check with a couple of the other guys out here.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Wow!! I can't beleive those pictures, my mechanic used to work on that same Alfa GTA from URUGUAY, he's going to flip over when he sees the pictures and the restoration work!!!!
:D:D:D

·
Registered
403 Posts
IMHO if we are to have a wheel to wheel race the venue for the time trials is MUCH better suited to the Alfa Romeo's strengths (handeling). Road America is a Fantastic venue with rolling scenery and ample amenities but it is kind of like driving on a freeway in an Alfa. You are on a straight at full power for what seems like minutes looking forward to the coming off-ramp err turn, then you are on the next straight long enough to wonder if your motor can handle 20 seconds straight at full throttle and over 7000rpm when the next off-ramp comes. If we are going to show off racing Alfas why not on a course that shows it's strengths? One of the turns at Autobahn CC will have most of the coupes lifting the front tire off the ground for about 20' right in front of the largest viewing area for spectators. A tight course will allow closer competition between the lighter lower powered GTA's and some of the monster powered GTaM replica's (Wood, Martinez, Mocas)

I for one would love to be on the track 30+ Alfa's again in a race rather than a freeway parade.

My .02

1 - 20 of 233 Posts