Alfa Romeo Forums banner
61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Last year my wife had agreed to drive our 164Q to the convention, since it was only 5 hours from our house in Ohio, but as we got closer to the date the idea became less appealing, and she decided that she wanted to ride with me in the '84 Spider... Same for this year - she thinks we only need one car for the events... :rolleyes:

Best regards,
I'm not sure what cell phone restrictions are in your state or the states that you would be passing through or how they might apply to this suggestion, but get a good pair of small, discreet, FM walkie-talkies. Pat and I used them all the time when we drove two cars. We were able to stay in contact, make traffic breaks for each other, watch for problems, flying parts, etc. and have an enjoyable drive. Not exactly like being in the same car, but not like driving alone either.

We also used them at events when we got separated and to fix things around the house like phone lines where one of us had to be inside the house and the other on the outside watching, listening, and checking for changes as various things were tried and changed.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm not sure what cell phone restrictions are in your state or the states that you would be passing through...
One thing convention-goers might want to be aware of is that use of a cell phone while driving within the city of Chicago is prohibited, and if you are pulled over you will get a $50 ticket.:eek: The restriction should not apply if you are using a hands-free device. I'm not sure what they would say about a two-way radio, but they might not make the distinction...:)

Dave J.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Chicago Politics!

Actually, the City of Chicago was recently busted for ripping out of town and out of City folks who were tickited for 60 million dollars worth of fines and City was foung guilty and will be refunding all monies because posting of such violation did not exist in the City.

Oh well, just use the phone just in case and see if I'm correct.;):D

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I have a question for someone from the convention board.....

I have friends that live in Chicago that would like to see some of the events like the track day and maybe the concours. They are not club members, they really couldn't tell an Alfa from a Ford but they still would like to see this stuff and why we are driving 100's of miles for some "car thing"!:eek:

Anyway, my question is....is the track at Autobahn going to be open to the public or will they have to register at the convention and join AROC to spectate??

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Entry Fee

I have a question for someone from the convention board.....

I have friends that live in Chicago that would like to see some of the events like the track day and maybe the concours. They are not club members, they really couldn't tell an Alfa from a Ford but they still would like to see this stuff and why we are driving 100's of miles for some "car thing"!:eek:

Anyway, my question is....is the track at Autobahn going to be open to the public or will they have to register at the convention and join AROC to spectate??

It's not like we are going to advertise to the "general public", but after it's all said and done, many "car people" will know about the GTA gathering, etc. and are going to want to check things out.

The way it will work will be like this: Those of us that " Register " for the Convention will end up with (2) parking stubs, one will be to enter Autobahn Track for both the "Time Trial and GTA Race", the other stub will be to enter Cantigny Park for the "Concours Event".

Parking for Cantigny Park for anyone without a "free" parking stub will pay $7.

Parking Entry for Autobahn without a "free" entry stub will cost anywhere from $5 - $7.

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
I'll be there with my 164Q (Nero and Tan)

YES! Mi buddy Tony Cavaliere "Amico on the BB" has a beautiful Q. He's a Convention organizer and he will be there.
I'm looking forward to seeing all the other Q's! SWHBO indicated that only one car can go, and the Duetto's won't be driveable by then, so it's the Q (with new wheels/tires thanks to Jason's Ronel sale).

And if you see someone named Tom walking with a limp, I'm sure it'll be me!

See you there

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
I'm looking forward to seeing all the other Q's! SWHBO indicated that only one car can go, and the Duetto's won't be driveable by then, so it's the Q (with new wheels/tires thanks to Jason's Ronel sale).

And if you see someone named Tom walking with a limp, I'm sure it'll be me!

See you there
Tom, I'm beginning to wonder when the state of Wisconsin will come out of this "hibernation". ;) I'm looking forward to seeing your registration and I'm starting to worry that very few of our Wisconsin neighbors realize that a Convention is happening this June.:rolleyes:

The Wisconsin chapter has a lot of great Alfisti with many amazing cars, I certainly hope they come to their senses sooner than later because at this snails pace, I may not make 'till JUne.;):D

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
It better be good beer!!

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
I've been waiting to hear from the various organizers to see if they want me!

Tom, I'm beginning to wonder when the state of Wisconsin will come out of this "hibernation". ;) I'm looking forward to seeing your registration and I'm starting to worry that very few of our Wisconsin neighbors realize that a Convention is happening this June.:rolleyes:

The Wisconsin chapter has a lot of great Alfisti with many amazing cars, I certainly hope they come to their senses sooner than later because at this snails pace, I may not make 'till JUne.;):D
I've left messages for the various organizers of the events to see if they would like my help before I register. (Wouldn't want to pay for an event that I work). But since I haven't heard anything, I will probably just assume that everything is under control and you don't need my help. If I don't hear from anyone in the next few days, I'll just register for what I want, and "screw" the organizers that need help on their events.

So this is you last chance. If I don't hear from you by Sunday, I'll just register and "let the chips fall where they may." I'm more than willing to help, but if I'm not asked, I can't assume that you need me.

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
Anyone Interested in the Downtown Chicago "Shopping" Trip?

SWHBO is wondering if anyone is interested in doing a "shopping" trip during the Bus tour to downtown Chicago? She is debating whether to go on the bus trip, or compete in the autocross. (since I plan on doing that anyway!). But if others are willing to spend the day exploring Michigan Ave, she may also be willing to partake. (Not sure which would be less expensive, the helmet and entry fee for the autocross, or a day of shopping on the "Miracle Mile," knowing she had a "free pass!")

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
SWHBO is wondering if anyone is interested in doing a "shopping" trip during the Bus tour to downtown Chicago? She is debating whether to go on the bus trip, or compete in the autocross. (since I plan on doing that anyway!). But if others are willing to spend the day exploring Michigan Ave, she may also be willing to partake. (Not sure which would be less expensive, the helmet and entry fee for the autocross, or a day of shopping on the "Miracle Mile," knowing she had a "free pass!")
Well, it is vacation so that already ups the limit on what can be spent: souvenirs, new clothes, new shoes, etc. But when someone has "Carte Blanche" in addition to the increased limit --- the autocross would definitely be cheaper, but don't you want to go for broke? ;)

Pat's rule was that I could buy anything that I could get home on the plane or in the suitcase....that also meant that he couldn't buy a car!!! ;)

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
I've left messages for the various organizers of the events to see if they would like my help before I register. (Wouldn't want to pay for an event that I work). But since I haven't heard anything, I will probably just assume that everything is under control and you don't need my help. If I don't hear from anyone in the next few days, I'll just register for what I want, and "screw" the organizers that need help on their events.

So this is you last chance. If I don't hear from you by Sunday, I'll just register and "let the chips fall where they may." I'm more than willing to help, but if I'm not asked, I can't assume that you need me.
Tom, for now, you may want to register for the events that interest you. I'm sorry some of the guys did not get back to you. Please understand that those of us that are working our behinds off are already "screwed", :eek: therefore, please hold back the "screw" portion ;) for now and once we get a hold of ourselves and of our events, we will be getting back to those that have considered helping us.

Otherwise, send me a PM and let me know which events interest you and I will personally make the call to that particular chair. We are in great need of experienced corner workers for the track events, we are in need of Concours judges with experience on specific models, etc....

Hope you understand,
Carm

·
Registered
785 Posts

Hi Tom,
I've been away for a few days, but I have a call in to Don Brubaker who has asked AROC-WI to assist in the autocross staging.

Can you help with that? I will give Don your contact info to get ahold of your directly.

More snow today! But rest assured Carm that we are thawing out and will be there in full force.

Incidentally I have registered already via internet but did not receive any confirmation. I dont know if that is supposed to happen or not (fine if it doesn't) but I want to make sure it's not indicative of some problem in processing registrations that we might not know about.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Hi Tom,
I've been away for a few days, but I have a call in to Don Brubaker who has asked AROC-WI to assist in the autocross staging.

Can you help with that? I will give Don your contact info to get ahold of your directly.

More snow today! But rest assured Carm that we are thawing out and will be there in full force.

Incidentally I have registered already via internet but did not receive any confirmation. I dont know if that is supposed to happen or not (fine if it doesn't) but I want to make sure it's not indicative of some problem in processing registrations that we might not know about.
Hey Bill, I did receive your registration. I thought you were just testing since I didn't notice you registering any of your cars.;)

61 - 80 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.