Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
College Graduations

If my sisters college graduation isn't the same weekend, see you there!
Pat and my daughter's was in May both at UCLA and two years later at USC, the weekend before her wedding. It was a full month, needless to say.

You may have luck on your side with a June convention. Most high school graduations are in mid-June.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
I'm registering as soon as the web site allows it. :) I haven't seen the web site name anywhere... Has it been announced yet? (I know, I know,... I am impatient, but it is in a good way... ;))

Best regards,
I have not seen such enthusiasm for conventions prior to the Detroit convention last year as far as urgency to register 6 months in advance, everyone talking about it so far ahead of time, and the host club actually getting the word out and disclosing their draw cards.

I think this is wonderful, will bring the club together, attract new members or those that have never attended a convention before, and serve as a high bar for future conventions to meet or exceed. While competition is not the goal for the conventions in an exact sense, both Detroit and Chicago were able to tie Alfa time-lined events to their conventions and have both gone out in previously "unexplored" or non-traditional territories with their offerings and event planning: Detroit, the Lake Huron Drive and the Bat cars; Chicago the wheel-to-wheel racing. All of these things require searching out new rules, insurance, policies, procedures etc. It's what the club needed and continues to need --- dedicated people who are willing to take a chance and plan a genuinely worthwhile, fun, exciting convention for Alfisti of all ranges, ages, and/or interests.

Congratulations to both Detroit and Chicago for this revival of interest in annual conventions. It should also be mentioned that Seattle Potlatch was the first club that I'm aware of that raffled an Alfa to endow a memorial fund, which was difficult for them in many ways but still broke new ground and I'm sure some of these future ideas may have sprung from that "first." The only other convention that I remember as being non-traditional was the St. Louis one of many years back that involved the riverboat cruise. Giulietta Giubilee should also be mentioned for their Pinewood Derby which addressed the younger, up and coming generation, although, I'm not sure that they were the first to include it in their convention events.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
I got my hotel reservation! :) I requested the Presidential Suite, but they told me it wasn't available at the discount rate. So, I asked how did they expect to attract us VIPs with our fancy cars? :rolleyes:

Carm,
The discount rate applies starting Wednesday, the 18th... I would arrive on Tuesday, but I'd have to pay the $239. I don't believe the majority would be interested in getting their by Tuesday, but I would think that BoD members, and us "BoD meeting party-goers" :D, would like to arrive on the 17th...

Best regards,
Enrique and Carm:

I agree; anyone that is part of the board or that wishes to attend the board meeting would most likely be flying in the night before, driving in the night before etc. based on the time the board meeting starts on Wednesday. Is there any way we can get the additional day at the discount rate?

Another consideration would be those that come in for pre-activity drives if they're going to be back prior to the discount rate period or if they stay one night prior to departing on the drive excursion.

Board meetings are so much fun, everyone should come and party and get to meet who they've elected and see them in action. You will find that most of them are genuinely approachable and interested in listening once you meet them in person as long as you don't disrupt the protocol of the meeting. The unapproachable aspect may be those that have never met them in person, been to a board meeting, or a convention; I don't ask people who e-mail with their concerns, if they've ever met them in person.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
2008 Convention Thread / BB Avatars or Handles

Not sure if it's been considered, but I would recommend adding our AlfaBB "handles" on the nametags for the convention. There are a lot of people that I would like to meet in person after "conversing" with them through this BB for the past few years. Unfortunately, the only way I know of them is through the names they use on this board. In my case, I'm sure people know of me as "peglegtom", but would not have the foggiest idea of who I am by my normal name.

Thanks!
The suggestion was not made soon enough last year to implement adding this to the AROC name tags. A few of us, I know Pat Garrett and I both did, came through last year and made our own avatars and pinned them to our lanyards or clothing as a clue to who we are. We are probably two of the people that least needed them in the overall perspective. ;) I intend to wear mine again this year and depending on the day, you might find me with a shirt that has Jerry's cartoon #12 on the back. FTR, I asked permission to use it and I was warned that I might have trouble keeping the shirt on my back due to requests for it. I guess, I'll have to find some cute, strong, young guy, to make sure I don't lose my shirt. ;)

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Last year my wife had agreed to drive our 164Q to the convention, since it was only 5 hours from our house in Ohio, but as we got closer to the date the idea became less appealing, and she decided that she wanted to ride with me in the '84 Spider... Same for this year - she thinks we only need one car for the events... :rolleyes:

Best regards,
I'm not sure what cell phone restrictions are in your state or the states that you would be passing through or how they might apply to this suggestion, but get a good pair of small, discreet, FM walkie-talkies. Pat and I used them all the time when we drove two cars. We were able to stay in contact, make traffic breaks for each other, watch for problems, flying parts, etc. and have an enjoyable drive. Not exactly like being in the same car, but not like driving alone either.

We also used them at events when we got separated and to fix things around the house like phone lines where one of us had to be inside the house and the other on the outside watching, listening, and checking for changes as various things were tried and changed.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
SWHBO is wondering if anyone is interested in doing a "shopping" trip during the Bus tour to downtown Chicago? She is debating whether to go on the bus trip, or compete in the autocross. (since I plan on doing that anyway!). But if others are willing to spend the day exploring Michigan Ave, she may also be willing to partake. (Not sure which would be less expensive, the helmet and entry fee for the autocross, or a day of shopping on the "Miracle Mile," knowing she had a "free pass!")
Well, it is vacation so that already ups the limit on what can be spent: souvenirs, new clothes, new shoes, etc. But when someone has "Carte Blanche" in addition to the increased limit --- the autocross would definitely be cheaper, but don't you want to go for broke? ;)

Pat's rule was that I could buy anything that I could get home on the plane or in the suitcase....that also meant that he couldn't buy a car!!! ;)

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Convention Registration

Dave,

Am I correct that we can mail in our registration as in previous years with a check in lieu of electronic credit card registration as long as it is postmarked prior to the late penalties deadline date?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.