Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2008 Convention will take place in Chicago. We have a lot of things planned, give a few weeks and we will have a 12 page booklet updated with dates and activities. Once in a while check into our website at www.caroc.com, we will continue to have updates and the Owner will begin to gather info from us to showcase to all members. For now, those planning on visiting, leave June 19, 20, 21 & 22nd open. A June Convention in Chicago will make both visitors and our Alfas happier in regards to weather.

A presto,
Carmelo La Spina
CAROC President

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll hold you to it Anthony, remember that I have your "Otto Zipper" plates!;)

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
College Graduations

If my sisters college graduation isn't the same weekend, see you there!
Pat and my daughter's was in May both at UCLA and two years later at USC, the weekend before her wedding. It was a full month, needless to say.

You may have luck on your side with a June convention. Most high school graduations are in mid-June.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Coincidentally, June is the same month Classic Motorsports Magazine 2008 calendar has a GTV featured. I missed the Detroit convention last year and I've regretted it ever sense. See you in Chicago!

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Registration should be open after the New Year.
I'm registering as soon as the web site allows it. :) I haven't seen the web site name anywhere... Has it been announced yet? (I know, I know,... I am impatient, but it is in a good way... ;))

Best regards,

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
I'm registering as soon as the web site allows it. :) I haven't seen the web site name anywhere... Has it been announced yet? (I know, I know,... I am impatient, but it is in a good way... ;))

Best regards,
I have not seen such enthusiasm for conventions prior to the Detroit convention last year as far as urgency to register 6 months in advance, everyone talking about it so far ahead of time, and the host club actually getting the word out and disclosing their draw cards.

I think this is wonderful, will bring the club together, attract new members or those that have never attended a convention before, and serve as a high bar for future conventions to meet or exceed. While competition is not the goal for the conventions in an exact sense, both Detroit and Chicago were able to tie Alfa time-lined events to their conventions and have both gone out in previously "unexplored" or non-traditional territories with their offerings and event planning: Detroit, the Lake Huron Drive and the Bat cars; Chicago the wheel-to-wheel racing. All of these things require searching out new rules, insurance, policies, procedures etc. It's what the club needed and continues to need --- dedicated people who are willing to take a chance and plan a genuinely worthwhile, fun, exciting convention for Alfisti of all ranges, ages, and/or interests.

Congratulations to both Detroit and Chicago for this revival of interest in annual conventions. It should also be mentioned that Seattle Potlatch was the first club that I'm aware of that raffled an Alfa to endow a memorial fund, which was difficult for them in many ways but still broke new ground and I'm sure some of these future ideas may have sprung from that "first." The only other convention that I remember as being non-traditional was the St. Louis one of many years back that involved the riverboat cruise. Giulietta Giubilee should also be mentioned for their Pinewood Derby which addressed the younger, up and coming generation, although, I'm not sure that they were the first to include it in their convention events.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
The convention wheel to wheel race registration is open now but nothing on the TT yet as far as I can see?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
The convention wheel to wheel race registration is open now but nothing on the TT yet as far as I can see?
Merry Christmas Murray!

"The Big Race" is separate to the Convention registration. We hope to have the Convention registration open right around the new year. Keep ckecking in though, when it does open, I have a feeling the TT event is going to go FAST.;)

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i205.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid205.photobucket.com/albums/bb48/chisidici/100_2926.flv"></embed>

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i205.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid205.photobucket.com/albums/bb48/chisidici/100_1637.flv"></embed>

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Merry Christmas Murray!

"The Big Race" is separate to the Convention registration. We hope to have the Convention registration open right around the new year. Keep ckecking in though, when it does open, I have a feeling the TT event is going to go FAST.;)

<>
Merry Christmas to you too Chi SI Dici and a Happy New Year,

I plan to sign up for the TT as soon as the resigter is open, hope I get in! BTW have you been on the north track? Any advise to how to drive it?

I have watch a race video of it on YouTube and down loaded the track layout. It looks like there are two 2nd gear corners, any in-sight to what corners that can get you in trouble? Is there any grade changes or off camber corners that doesn't show up in the video's?

Here is one version of "the line" and what gear to be in on each corner what do you think? The gearing is based on an older 911 that was in the YouTube video, the line is just a nice easy way around the track that works out on paper.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Murray,

Have you visited the "BIG RACE" site? Go to Alfa Enduro Race 2008 Home

Click the "Where" and you can view the recently added video clip of Andy Besic's GTV running the north track.

From what I can tell, he's using 2nd gear on N2, then third gear thru N3-N4-
N5, back down to 2nd gear thru N6, never gets into fourth on the straight, down to 2nd gear on N7, third on N8 and follows thru into 4th just after N1. Andy's car is probably a bad example for those of us with regular modified engines and without modified gearboxes. Take a peak at the video, it's sounds pretty cool too!;)

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Hi Murray,

Click the "Where" and you can view the recently added video clip of Andy Besic's GTV running the north track.

;)
Ya that gearing is close to what I thought except for not getting to 4th on that straight and going to 2nd in N7 instead of 3rd (must be his high rev limit and gearing, The link didn't work for me???

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ya that gearing is the same as I thought except for not getting to 4th on that straight (must be his high rev limite and gearing, The link didn't work for me???

Simply click here: Alfa Enduro Race 2008 Home

and that will take you directly to the site. Or do you mean the "link" for the video. For the video, it will run on Quick Time, if you do not have it downloaded, go to the "Where" page, look for click "here" at the bottom of the page just below "video" and download it, it takes minutes.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I'll register for the TT as soon as its up. I should get my GTV assembled and ready by then, but if not I won't hesitate to take out the Montreal again. I had a lot of fun driving it in Detroit. Pete.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
I'll register for the TT as soon as its up. I should get my GTV assembled and ready by then, but if not I won't hesitate to take out the Montreal again. I had a lot of fun driving it in Detroit. Pete.
Hi Pete,

Looking forward to seeing you again in Chicago!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Murray et al.

The Autobahn North track is relatively simple as far as good visibility and easy to memorize. The biggest thing to remember is that ALL the corners are late apex corners.
N2 really needs a late apex or you will blow all of your momentum to get to N3 which will upset your ability to get a smooth rythm through N3,N4,N5. N6 will visually makes you want to turn in for a mid-early apex and then encourages you to get on the throttle early only to find that on exit of the corner you have the choice of spinning off, or hitting the brakes and trying to save it. The track requires patience and discipline to go really fast.
Regarding gearing....in the video I am using 24.2"dia tires, a close ratio gearbox, a 4.78 rear end, and 7400rpm shift points. I don't use 4th on the short straights when I am pushing but I am definately using 4th on the main straight. In my street GTV with a 4:10, 2.0l TS, 23" dia. tires, stock gearing and 5000rpm shift point I use 4th more often and 5th on the front straight.

In summary, It's a track that is very easy to learn, but difficult to perfect. Stock street cars will be geared fine with a 4.56 lsd. The track will reward good handeling and smooth tansitions/driving MORE than HP and brakes.

Andy

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
I just completed my registration on-line... Fast and easy - great job CAROC! :) The '84 Spider will participate in the TT, autocross, and concours. Plus, she will driven to the convention! :D

Carm,
You may want to let the person in charge of the online registration know that he/she needs to have a banquet meal choice per attendee. Right now you can only select one choice per registration... (And my wife doesn't usually go for the "cholesterol groups". :D)

Best regards,

1 - 20 of 89 Posts