Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,558 Posts
I attended this event, as I live just up the street. I thought that for Alfas, it was a very poor turnout. Was very disappointed to see just a half a dozen cars (not counting the two pre-war classics). Considering that there are many different models of Alfas in the Seattle area, why did basically no one show up? I thought seriously about running back to get my LS, 91S, or Milano, (or all three) and drive it up, saying that I'm late, I'm late, where do I park? Unfortunately, I didn't know about it until just before, and hadn't been invited.

Otherwise, it was interesting to see so many high priced hanger queens out in the sun.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
I attended this event, as I live just up the street. I thought that for Alfas, it was a very poor turnout. Was very disappointed to see just a half a dozen cars (not counting the two pre-war classics). Considering that there are many different models of Alfas in the Seattle area, why did basically no one show up?

Same here in NY about attendance at an event:(. I assume it's because most Alfisti are to cheap to pay the entrance fee :eek:.

·
Registered
118 Posts
No it's not the entrance fee - that's a rediculously low $5 (and it all goes to charity).

I attended this event as well and have for the last few years. What has hurt this event is that it has been at four different locations in the same number years plus a lack (or near absense) of advertising. Conversely, the Kirkland Concours next Sunday has been growing steading since its inception; has been at the same location; and has been advertised heavily.

It's a shame since the potential for Seattle Italian Concours d'Elegance could be signifigant.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought that since this was a new venue near the south end that it would attract more south end Alfisti (and other marques).

I agree that advertising was weak for this event. I spoke with the manager of the Marina and he said that the number of vehicles and tickets sales beat last two years.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
No it's not the entrance fee - that's a rediculously low $5
I don't know about that. 5 bucks could be lunch for a week (McDonald's dollar menu). :D

·
Registered
123 Posts
the advertising may have been weak, but somehow i knew about it, and if i knew about it, the advertising must have been pretty good...

i thought there were some shortcomings, notably and most egregiously, the placement of the cars (and motorcycles!), which was "too close together" (unnecessary, given the huge amount of unused space there), preventing easy and worry-free circumnavigation around any car with a stroller and absolutely prevented it around the bikes; and also the (intentional or not) segregation of the FIATs in their own little corner (ok, same with the Panteras); and no dedicated spectator parking. the Magnuson Park location last year somehow worked better, putting the spectator parking in the parking lot and the show cars off it, where they could be positioned without the assistance of the yellow lines.

there was a stunning early Lotus Elan just outside the gate. also not pictured here was the (exceedingly rare) FIAT 850 coupe. fantastic.

-jason

·
Premium Member
15,558 Posts
Yup, that Fiat 850 Coupe was darling. There was even a Fiat 124 Sport Coupe. What was funny was that there were more Alfa's parked along the neighborhood streets than in the show.

Heck, even the Innocenti Mini I saw at the Samoa (Seattle Area Mini Owners Assoc) Mini Club 40th anniversary celebration (78 running REAL nonBMW minis were in attendance) would have been welcome.

We put down as our crowd favorite the Maser 3500 GT which needed a new silver paint job. Hardly an overshiny never see the rain garage queen, but a real car with great lines. The weirdest dichotomy car was the absolutely beautiful piece of art green Aston Martin with the really really stupid looking paint roller wheels and tires. They walk among us!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Del,

We talked to the owner of the Maserati 3500, except for the engine being rebuilt it has never been "restored".

That I would say was up there on my list of favorite cars at the show, but I have a weakness for "old school" Italian.

George

·
Premium Member
15,558 Posts
Thanks for the picture. BTW, I still have an old but very nice plastic model of that silver Maser 3500. As I too like "old Italian", I admired that car for many years.

·
Premium Member
15,558 Posts
The other car I like is the Alfa 2600 GT, which this car reminds me of. It looks like the Sprint GT, but a little hunkier. I think of the 2600 GT as the forerunner of the 164's.

Gee, as I reminisce, I think of how many nice Alfas, newer and esp older models that I've seen around Seattle that could have been shown at the Concours. Pity.

·
Premium Member
15,558 Posts
You know, I usually don't go to these types of events where there is a dress code, a "pricey" invite, and the car polish is sold by the case. Think I'll pass.

LOL, no offense to Porsche owners, but Porsches are a dime a dozen, used for going to the grocery store aren't they?

·
Registered
739 Posts
This event really needs to find a permanent home on *green* grass and on a different weekend than Labor Day IMHO. I haven't been able to go for the last 4 or 5 years due to family stuff that seems to always be scheduled for the last big weekend before the kids head back to school. Looks like a lot of cool Italian bikes turned out...

Ciao,

1 - 20 of 24 Posts