Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, this is my first post here, figured id try asking here before i send my car off to get diagnosed and repaired. I have a Carbureted 2000GTV with 40DCOE's and MSD ignition. I let the car sit for a month, and probably flooded the carbs when i tried to start it, let it sit for another few days and it started after some struggling and ran poorly, I let the car run for a little bit, kept dying with low idle, and then randomly idle was fine and car ran for a few minutes, i decided to drive it around the block but died again after i went a couple blocks, tried to start it, wouldnt start, then randomly again started right up and drove fine with full power, so the problem seems to be intermittent. Especially on the highway, I am looking for some insights on what it could be, My guess is the carbs for clogged, or could it be ignition? i got new sparkplugs, put them in because old ones were fouled, will put a new ignition coil tomorrow. Looking for some advice, Thanks!

Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Automotive air manifold Gas
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Window

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Vehicle registration plate

·
Premium Member
25,078 Posts
Start with the basics, do you have a good regular fuel supply, is there consistent spark at the coil and dist, what distributor are you running (points?), how is compression, any major vacuum leaks. Not all of this is 100% relevant but you get the idea, to check basics and move to the next item. Elec or mechanical fuel pump? Steady clean supply of fuel at the carbs? Gas tank and filters not messed up wtih dirt, rust, gunk?
Andrew

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Start with the basics, do you have a good regular fuel supply, is there consistent spark at the coil and dist, what distributor are you running (points?), how is compression, any major vacuum leaks. Not all of this is 100% relevant but you get the idea, to check basics and move to the next item. Elec or mechanical fuel pump? Steady clean supply of fuel at the carbs? Gas tank and filters not messed up wtih dirt, rust, gunk?
Andrew
my first guess is the clogged/fuel filter, i will check spark/ignition, the car isnt using points to my knowledge, it has MSD ignition box. I checked for Spark, compression is good, sparkplugs are new, I just dont want to touch the carburetors, but if fuel is the problem, i will have to address them.

·
Premium Member
25,078 Posts
Carbs, even dirty ones, would probably not cause cutting out, flat dead. Fuel pressure, or lack there of, yes that could. Stuck floats could cause full stoppage but you do have two carbs, so would they both give up in teh same way? Carbs will usually work to some extent, even if running poorly. Complete dead is more likely spark, but the intermittent nature of it makes it tough. I don't know boo about MSD, hope someone here does. It still needs some trigger, optical or points or something, I believe.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
25,078 Posts
Yep. I just worked the California Mille as a mechanic, we had no-start issues every day. It's not always easy to tell where to begin. If it'll run on starter fluid you don't have an ignition issue. But our day often started pulling plug and coil wires, and fuel hoses, to see what we had.
Andrew

1 - 8 of 8 Posts