·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
9,524 Posts
Thanks, Francisco!

The car looks molested (side spears missing, wheels painted, wrong red for the year) according to pictures here. Also, the seller doesn't show any shots of the interior or engine compartment. Sounds like an overpriced project car at USD 22,500.

Description:
SELLING THIS VERY RARE 1958 ALFA ROMEO 2000 TOURING SPIDER.
THIS IS A VERY FIRST YEAR THESE CARS BEGUN WITH ONLY A LITTLE MORE THAN 60 EXAMPLES BUILT IN 1958.
EXCELLENT BODY, ORIGINAL PAINT, GREAT FLOORS, EXCELLENT CHROME. MOTOR AND TRANSMISSION WERE PULLED OUT BECAUSE THE PREVIOUS OWNER WAS GOING TO PUT AN AMERICAN V8 ENGINE IN IT. THE BIZZAR PART IS THAT THE CAR WAS A RUNNING AND DRIVING CAR, BUT SOMEBODY TOLD HIM THE CAR WOULD BE GREAT WITH A V8 AND THE STUPID GUY ALMOST DID IT. LUCKLY FOR THE CAR HE RAN OUT OF MONEY AND I FOUND THE CAR.
THE ORIGINAL ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION IS PLACED INSIDE THE ENGINE BAY AND CAR IS READY TO BE SHIPPED.
NOW IT IS HERE AVAILABLE FOR SALE. THE ENGINE IS FREE AND TURNS WIH RELATIVE EASE, I HAVE A CLEAN AND CLEAR TITLE IN HANDS READY TO GO.
WILL NEED INTERIOR REDONE, 1 SEAT IS MISSING BUT I'VE LOCATED ONE JUST NEED TO WAIT UNTIL MAN IS READY TO SHIP IT TO ME.

I'LL HELP WITH SHIPPING, TO HOLLAND, BELGIUM $1,100, TO UK $1,300 TO GERMANY, ITALY AND MOST OTHER COUNTRIES AROUND $1,500

PLEASE FIND ADDITIONAL PICTURES HERE:1958 AR 2000 touring spider pictures by 1910TIMAO - Photobucket

PRICE IS $22,500 US DOLLARS / APPROXIMATELY $14,065.00 BRITISH POUNDS.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hi Ruedi,

I always walk carefully into debates like this...but what's so overpriced?

The guy over represented the "originality" of it all, but if its a complete and relatively rust free (needs to be confirmed of course), it seems pretty close to what a rust free project car should go for. We could debate whether it should be $19K or $22k, but given how scarce these are in this type of condition (assumption here) it doesn't seem too out of line.

·
Push hard and live
10,184 Posts
My impression of the rocker panels is that they have been replaced, and not very well. My old eyes might be fooling me, but if you look at the area under the "gills" there appears to be a definite step between the body contour and the rocker panel, and what appears to be white bondo showing through. If so, this raises quite an alarm, and it also is probably related to the missing stainless trim strip that should be below the doors.

I bought my "rust free" project about 5 years ago for $14k plus shipping. It was similarly dismantled, and similarly complete, and included a pretty large stash of extra parts from another parts car. You can see the pictures of what I found upon removing the paint and bondo. I declined to buy another project at the same price because it had already been disassembled, but the seller said all the rust had been repaired (and the car was entirely stripped so this could be inspected), all the chrome done (I saw the pictures), and the engine rebuilt. If you subtract just the chrome and engine overhaul, it means my "rust free and complete" car should have sold for half or less of what I paid, and that was before valuing the body prep of the seller. I declined. My mistake.

I firmly believe in buyer beware, and one man's trophy is another's trash.

I'd want a personal and very probing look at the underside and rockers on this car.

·
Push hard and live
10,184 Posts
The seller says he has purchased a seat from Nevada, which would be from me. However, we've agreed to talk about it when I get back to the US.

I also pointed out to him prior to his Ebay listing that his chassis number would be from 59 not 58. He acknowledged receipt of this, but listed his Ebay ad as a 58 anyway.

I'm sure everything else is the pristine truth.

·
Push hard and live
10,184 Posts
Maybe I'm just feeling curmudgeonly today, but I just wrote the owner of this car and told him I was not prepared to do business with unscrupulous people. Thus, he doesn't get my spare seat. His response was that the title says 58, and that should be all that matters, in spite of his serial number clearly placing it into 1959 production. He knew this before creating his Ebay ad.

I'll let the new owner have the seat if he decides his new purchase is, in fact, restorable.

Maybe I'll feel better after a nap.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well done!

Well done Don. I think that many of us have had bad experiences dealing with unscropulous people in the classic car business. I am however curious to see much this car will fetch. It reminds me of the car I bought a few years ago and that I am still restoring

·
Registered
54 Posts
Don,

I'm curious to know if you did finally do business with the seller (Constantino)?

I recently purchased this car from him and the second seat that he had purchased from Nevada is included in the purchase price.

By the way, this is my second Alfa Romeo 2000 touring spider and Im fully aware of the chassis-body Numbers and that only 63 touring spiders were produced in 1958 and that this specific car is a 1959.

Thank you, Ricardo

·
Push hard and live
10,184 Posts
Hello Ricardo,

No, I did no business with Constantino. I found his manner to be outside my range of tolerance - which is admittedly fairly narrow regarding certain behaviors. One of the things that bothered me was that his ad said he had bought a seat and it was on the way from Nevada. We never had a deal, just a conversation. No discussion of price or trade, just an agreement that we'd talk about these things when he got back from Brazil.

Centro Storico believes this car is a 1958. I did a little research and have my doubts about Storico's accuracy. However, the world needs one unimpeachable source for such things, and I guess they get that role. Given the attrition of these cars, I'm sure there is space on the list of 58's, so you get to be on it. No biggie.

According to Storico the car was delivered in white, not red. I'm curious about the condition of the car and prospects for restoration. I certainly wish you the best.

I do have a spare seat, and would be happy to make it available to you. As I told Constantino, I dislike selling parts, but am quite happy to trade for them. This avoids the painful discussion of "what is something worth" as both people are getting something they need.

Where are you located?

Best regards,

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thank you very much for the information and I do appreciate it!

Don,

Thank you very much for the information and I do appreciate it!

I'm supposed to get the correct seat and it's coming from Texas not Nevada as Constantino made a correction to the original information. I'm sorry to bother you but I was wondering if it was your seat or not.

On the other hand, I wanted to ask you how do I get the information from this car and from my other 102 chassis AR1020400200 from Centro Storico?

Finally, I'm located in Central America and I have a Storage Facility in Doral FL.

Best regards, Ricardo

·
Push hard and live
10,184 Posts
Hello Ricardo,

What part of Central America? My spouse and I are searching the southern latitudes for a retirement home. Currently I'm favoring Argentina, although we enjoyed our recent trip to Ecuador.

You can contact Centro Storico at the below address. However, the info below is about all you will get if you correspond with them.

Jay Nuxoll recently posted his observations about Alfa dates and serial numbers, noting that there has been a lot of confusion between chassis and engine numbers, etc. I'm not sure it matters, really. If it does matter to someone, they can pick which "authority" supports their preference and go with it.

Glad you got a seat coming. Let me know if there is a problem.

Dear Mister Peterson,

with reference to your request we are informing you as follows.

According to our documentation files, the chassis number AR 00077 originally corresponds to an Alfa Romeo 2000 Spider (102.04), manufactured on the 18th February 1959.

The body colour is “grigio biacca”.

According to our documentation files, the chassis number AR 00182 originally corresponds to an Alfa Romeo 2000 Spider (102.04), manufactured on the 19th December 1958.

The body colour is “grigio biacca”.

According to our documentation files, the chassis number AR 00229 originally corresponds to an Alfa Romeo 2000 Spider (102.04), manufactured on the 23rd December 1958.

The body colour is black.

Yours, Sincerely,

Marco Fazio

Tel. +39 02 444 29 115

Mob +39 334 62 95 381

Fax +39 02 444 28 152

[email protected]
Alfa Romeo Automobilismo Storico
Centro Direzionale
Viale Alfa Romeo

20020 Arese (MI) Italy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts