Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
I would agree that a restored car could fetch $100,000. I just don't know in which decade. ;)

Best regards,

·
Registered
414 Posts
Value measured in hundreds

I bought a much more complete, more viable '59 Spider in May 2004 for the princely sum of one thousand US dollars. Because I was recently retired and could devote most of my time doing everything myself (and I mean EVERYTHING on a car that sat for nearly 30 years) except body and paint which was done commercially, I spent 'only' about $25K and 14 months bringing it to nice 2+ condition (AROSC 2006 concours champ). I hope no one is sufficiently foolish to pay over about $500 for the beast as it sits. Seems as if the seller may have a different sense regarding its value, though.
Shame these cars were treated so roughly for decades.

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
I bought a much more complete, more viable '59 Spider in May 2004 for the princely sum of one thousand US dollars. Because I was recently retired and could devote most of my time doing everything myself (and I mean EVERYTHING on a car that sat for nearly 30 years) except body and paint which was done commercially, I spent 'only' about $25K and 14 months bringing it to nice 2+ condition (AROSC 2006 concours champ). I hope no one is sufficiently foolish to pay over about $500 for the beast as it sits. Seems as if the seller may have a different sense regarding its value, though.
Shame these cars were treated so roughly for decades.

Yes, but your 14 months of labor was worth at least $40,000 if you had to pay someone...

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It looks like the car has sold - so the market seems to have determined that the asking price wasn't too bad. Coming from the British side of things, I can say that TR3's in almost similiar condition (never saw the car so its impossible to say with certaintly) go for almost the asking price of this car. To me, it seemed cheap considering what restored ones are going for, but I'm new and don't carry the history that others on this board do.

As an interesting side note - there is also a 2600 Sprint for sale in the same area on Craigslist (in L.A. under Alfa) for $2900 and it hasn't sold, so maybe the quick sale of this 2000 does say something.

As I've recently picked up a 59 2000, Euro version, in very original, but worn, condition, I'm finding out that "restoring" one of these is more of a treasure hunt than anything else I've ever faced. Its making it interesting. Cheers...Dan

·
Registered
523 Posts
I actually picked up the car thinking it would be a fun project. If anyone wants to see the car or its progress you can check out pictures on my MySpace page. Just look it up under my email address [email protected]. Some other fun projects on there as well including my favorite GTV/GTV6 project. This will be my personal driver to replace my Black 74.

Unfortunately in the CL add on the Touring only the good side of the car was shown. I have included the bad side as well:) I will need some parts so if anyone has some bits and pieces for the beast in the LA area let me know.

Thanks.....Take care, Tom

PS - The Van was done for my friends Mom....please no requests for any more jobs like that :)

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
I actually picked up the car thinking it would be a fun project. If anyone wants to see the car or its progress you can check out pictures on my MySpace page. Just look it up under my email address [email protected]. Some other fun projects on there as well including my favorite GTV/GTV6 project. This will be my personal driver to replace my Black 74.

Unfortunately in the CL add on the Touring only the good side of the car was shown. I have included the bad side as well:) I will need some parts so if anyone has some bits and pieces for the beast in the LA area let me know.

Thanks.....Take care, Tom

PS - The Van was done for my friends Mom....please no requests for any more jobs like that :)

Mr.102/2000 of the world is Jay Nuxoll, who posts here....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Alfa Touring Spyder Front Bumpers,Drive Shaft Donuts $600

2 nice front bumbers,both drive shaft donuts,all for $600
(310)514-2955 Dave:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts