Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone deciphered the raised marks behind the firing order numbers on the front of the head, between the valve covers? I swear the second set of marks are square modernist letters spelling SCORPIO.

I can't make out the first set of letters, but I sure would like to know if anyone can. I have never heard this discussed. Fascinating.

Curious, Barry

·
Registered
9,409 Posts
The script reads "ordine scoppi" according to this thread.

·
Push hard and live
9,604 Posts
Which translates as "order of firing".

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
How about in real English!

It is translated best as "Firing order"! You should be aware that the 102/2000 (like the 1900 engines) have a firing order different from the later 2000 Alfa engines. Pay attention to what the order is. Not everyone with a 102/2000 will have what you have molded in Italian on your early head 102/2000 head. Yours should also have "peened" or is it "peaned" water galley tops. Later heads have screwed in plugs. Yous is an engine number lower than AR00204*00435 which would be stamped on the small plate to the passenger side of your firewall along with a chassis number between AR10204*00032 and AR10204*000105 (according to Glenn's manual). FUSI, however, puts the range for 1958 as between AR10204*00004 and AR10204*00066 (as well as what he says are matching engine numbers, which is NOT TRUE, because the numbers for engines of 102/2000 spiders are NEVER identical to chassis number) and 1959 as between AR10204*00067 and AR10204*01122. The best record of chassis numbers on date of production is from the two book Alfa encyclopedic of D'Amico and Tabucchi who took their numbers from actual factory records. I provide those CHASSIS numbers via Scan of Page 464 of book I - 1910 to 1962. I hope you can translate Italian better than you could translate the marking on your head. (Hints: da = from; a = to; tranne = except for; produtti nel = already produced in. You can guess at the rest) HOWEVER, dealers always registered the cars, especially in the US, to be considered new as of the date sold, and, sadly, sometimes by the engine numbers instead of the chassis numbers. Only after 1960 were chassis numbers alone used. Alfa stopped stamping the motor numbers on the little firewall plates. It is really a pain to get some states to switch the title to show the actual chassis number as a VIN.

Attachments

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ordine scoppi

Well, I should have guessed, "firing order." So be it.
I'm not infatuated with numbers like many Alfisti, but my car is
#10204102108, Touring #10275. It is registered as a '61, but Jay's numbers say it is a '59. Did it sit on a dealer's lot somewhere so long?
I know they weren't fast sellers.

Barry

·
Push hard and live
9,604 Posts
I'm not sure if you've written the chassis number correctly, but 102108 would not be a 1959. That would be a fairly late serial number, I believe.

·
Registered
87 Posts
As far determining what the real year of your car is, email your chassis number to Marco Fazio at Alfa's Automobilismo Storico. [email protected]

I learned from him that my 2 litre was completed on June 17, 1960 and sold November 21, 1961 to Hoffman Motor Car Co., New York City. Seems it sat in Italy for a year and a half before being exported by Alfa. Hoffman Motor was a famous independent importer of European cars. It's titled as a 1962, which I assume is when it was finally sold to its first owner??

·
Push hard and live
9,604 Posts
#1 is at the front.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts