Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I'm doing some work on my car, and one of the problems I have is that the flap at the heater unit that is controled by the Cold/Hot lever, seems to be stuck! (The heater valve works ok, and the wire cable is free)
Do you think I will have to remove the unit to repair this?
If I have to do that, I have to remove the center console and the dashboard, right?
I already got the console loose, but it seems it can't go out without gettind the dash out first! What am i doing wrong?

Thanks for any tips, advices!
:)

·
Registered
959 Posts
I removed the whole unit without removing the dash. Its a squeeze to get it out but but, yes, you must remove the console and get in on your back to get to the four nuts that secure the blower fan unit. I would highly recommend you remove both front seats but not the dash and make sure you drain all the antifreeze and prepare to have some leakage on both hoses because the heater core will have fluid in it. I hope you don't have big hands. Its not an easy job.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Thats up to you. If you remove all four nuts(two each side)that will allow the entire unit to come out. If you just want to remove the lower half there are 4 clips. Two front near the fire wall and, I don't know how you would get to them because there is so little room. And two back facing the console. If you can get the clips off the lower half of the unit should come down. Because you are only having a problem with the door/flap you may not have to take the entire unit out however, given the age of the car you might want to pull the whole thing and boil out the heater core as long at you are at it. You might do a Search/Advanced Search for more suggestions. Good luck.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Any thoughts on removing these switches/cables to remove dash?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Not sure I understand the question..... do you want to remove the switches so you can remove the dash?
OR remove the switches without removing the dash??

If you want to remove the switches, best way is to remove the vent next to them. Will give you good access to remove the switches. Just pull on the outer part of the vent.... or push out from inside the dash

·
Registered
111 Posts
Im busy removing the dash yes ... the switches seems to be connected to the housing on bqck of dash that might or might not be riveted to dash ... still trying to figure out if they can be pushed back out of dash but housing seems to have a rivet

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Just undo the 8mm (10mm?) on either side of them and they will come out.... just take note of the order of the washers etc.

The bracket that holds them stays with the dash, as is riveted on. Once the dash is out, you can always drill the rivets out to remove the bracket if needed.

·
Registered
368 Posts
All of the interior (save the heater box) is simple to remove. Start w/ the seats (4 bolds each) to give yourself more room—that’s huge. Then the center console is 3 screws plus removal of the h/v controls and switches, and the dash is 4 bolts AFTER you remove the gauges. I think I did a pretty thorough write up in my thread PROGRESS! But I may be thinking a reply I made in another thread. Clean your fuse box and ground connections while you’re in there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts