Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there ;)

I am relatively new to Alfas (I am only 20 y.o) and I have been looking for a GTV for a year now and it appears I have found one. It is a 2000 GTV that's currently for sale in Belgium. According to the owner, it was first registered May '72. It appears it has been restored (i.e. exhaust manifold looks like new, probably because it is new... and the rest of the car is superb).

However I saw a couple of things that were wrong about this car, for example, the two C-pillar serpent badges are missing and the "disegno di Bertone" is on the driver's side of the car. There should be only one on the passenger side. The engine plate is missing as well (this tells me that the bloke who was responsible for the stripping/paint was not careful enough). Anyway...

I know it is supposed to be a 2000 from 72. It has the rear lights from a 2000, the grille, the dash, the seats etc but what if it is a 74-onwards GT junior that's been converted to a 2000. I guess the VIN and Marco from Automobilismo Storico Alfa Romeo will give me those answers.

But since it was probably restored, maybe the owner changed the Diff. I'd like to know how to determine if the diff on the car is a LSD or just a traditional locked one. I have never seen one but I think there should be a V. "Normal ones" only have a plus "+", right?
I have those informations from the thread: how to identify an LSD?
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/milano-75-1985-1993/51915-how-identify-lsd-limited-slip-differential-2.html
But Alfar7 is talking about a US-spec car, is this the same for Euro cars?

I will be posting more pics of the car if I buy it.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
21,688 Posts
LS diffs, at least in the US, have two angled fins on the rear underside behind the sump, and a little extension on the front under the pinion flange. Non LS are straight across there. Any US 2000 will have come with LS.

Andrew

·
Super Moderator
10,591 Posts
Any US 2000 will have come with LS.
I'm not disputing that statement. But the car BadGoldEagle is looking at is in Belgium and was probably built for the European market. So if "any US 2000 will have come with LS", what can we say about 2000's not built for the US market?

- was limited-slip an option in Europe, so some cars had it?

- was LS simply not available there?

And:

- why did Alfa chose to make LS standard on US delivery cars? Were they "loading up" the models sold to those rich Americans?

- what did the Canadians get? If anyone needs LS, it's the folks in the great white north!

·
Super Moderator
10,591 Posts
Limited slip diffferentials were standard on 2000s also in Europe.
OK, so you're suggesting that all post-1971 cars with 2L engines came with limited slip. That would make sense, as Alfa didn't seem to build cars with options. US DOT/EPA regulations starting in 1969 probably created a challenge since that required building two, separate versions.

So going back to BadGoldEagle's question, what would account for a 2L car not having limited slip? It sounds like the only explanation was that a 1750 diff was swapped in at some point in the car's life?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi guys
Thanks for all the info.
I've read on some website (1973 Alfa Romeo 2000 GTV), somewhere there is a link in english where the guy is complaining about having a 1750 diff on his 2000. He actually asked the previous owner for a refund. I don't want to go through all of that, it is quite understandable.
Thanks 105 Junior for the pic. That's what I thought: A sort of V on the sump

Indeed Euro-spec 2000 had LSD as standard. It was an option on 1750s. I just wanted to be sure.

I will be going there next Saturday, hopefully the car is in good condition. I'll eventually post pics of the car int the picture room section.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was the only way to get carburettors in the US, wasn't it?
Since they introduced some silly laws in '71, Alfas were SPICA only. Many people switched back to carburettors later on though ;)

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
2-litre cars in Australia also came with LSD's as a general statement from my experience. GTV's, Berlina's, Spiders. Many a perfectly good Berlina sacrificed itself so it's 4.3 LSD could be bolted into someone's race car....

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
I'm of the opinion that all 2 liters came with an LSD diff. In addition to the limited slip these diffs are beefier all the way around including axles, pinion stub, pinion bolts and of course the additional bracing on the case. They clearly built this to handle the increase in low end torque of the bigger motor. As far as i know the non-lsd diff was designed for the 1300 motor so it stands to reason that they were pushing the envelope with anything larger than the 1750.

BTW, Alfa did offer an LSD as an option for 1750 but they were fitted to the standard case. I doubt they sold too many...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi guys
I saw the car earlier today. Looks good apart from a couple of significant problems...
1/ the current "owner" bought the car from an old man in Holland but never bothered registering it to his name in Belgium, so the car has not "current" papers... I guess since most of you are in the US, you won't know what to do about this.
2/ You know the answer to this one: the clutch pedal is acting weirdly (I think) because nothing happens when I press the pedal to the ¾ (too loose) and then everything happens during the last ¼. Is this normal for a 2000 GTV ?

Thanks ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BTW, GTA R, since you are in Europe as well, what do you think about registering a car with the previous previous owner's papers? If I want to buy it, the current owner must have the car registered to his name, isn't that so?

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Check the fluid level of the clutch.
Does the pedal get stiffer if you pump the peddle? If so, then there is air in the lines.

The master cylinder is rather easy to replace (hanging peddles, right) , costs $115. The slave is a little trickier and costs about $50.

If the clutch is worn it's not a fun job at all. The clutch plate is about $50 but you could be into a few hundred depending on what all you need to do.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi gprocket
no, the pedal doesn't get stiffer
I don't think there is damage to the clutch itself, I had the engine on and everything was normal when I selected first.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's what I meant. Nothing then everything but works fine.
I guess that's what you store a car for so long without actually driving it.
Might need some re-adjusting. It has to go through MoT though, I think they will solve this problem.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts