Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if any of the engine parts from the 1900, 2000 fit the 2600? The reason I ask is my 2600 spider engine is starting to come together and I am finding that I am missing some of the outer components such as the water pump, drive pulleys, valve cover nuts and I am sure more I haven't discovered yet. I rescued this car from a shop that was going out of business. They had taken it apart years ago and never got around to finishing it. I see in the parts section here someone has a bunch of 1900, 2000 engine parts for sale.

Thanks JP

·
Registered
9,416 Posts
Generally speaking, except for standard parts like some bolts, nuts and washers, the 102 and 106 engine parts are not interchangeable.

The reason is that, according to Busso, when Alfa started the development of the 106 engine, they tried to adapt some things from the very successful Giulietta engine, but the 102 engine was an evolution of the 1900 engine (IMO probably because the 106 engine was not ready for production in 1958). If I recall correctly, Busso wrote when they decided that a 2.5 liter 6-cyl engine would be sort of a sweet spot in trade-offs, the necessary changes meant that the Giulietta provenance and parts interchangeability disappeared as well.

I suggest you compare the numbers in the parts catalogs on the 2000/2600 CarDisc DVD, which show both engines.

·
Push hard and live
9,652 Posts
JP....

Feel free to call or stop by. Little to nothing of importance is interchangeable on the two engines. Same Rod bearings, oddly, but that's about it. I can maybe help with some hardware and miscellany.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Sadly, only rod bearings.

And as far as that goes, the identical rod bearings fit 1306 and 1308 varieties of 1900 engines, even the ones in he sportiva and disco volante, the 102/2000 and 106/2600 engines, and even the 3000 series straight six. When I could not find a set of 010 (first oversize) in sets of four for my two liters, I bought two sets of six for the 106/2600 and had enough for three engines. None of these engines have hardened crank journals, and cranks usually must be turned on rebuild. Originally Alfa sold single paris of shells and one could mix and match, graining only one or two journals. Verify that in your parts books. But they came ins sets from Vandervell, now Mahle bearings. About time for us to do a group special order with Mahle which has the old measurments for not only rod but also the main bearings which vary between 102/2000 and 106/2600 although they are the 1900 mains fit the first 435 102/2000 engines which have the same first third and rear mains wider. 102/2000 engines with a higher engine number have only first and third wider. Yes, I have in the past cut down a wide pair of shells to fit a narrower throw. Main bearings do NOT interchange between 102/2000 and 106/2600 engines.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts