Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been taking advantage of some nice weather and driving my '84 Spider as my daily driver. Besides, with gas prices being up I thought I might spend less in gas for my daily commute over my 5.2L V8 SUV.
It turns out I am getting between 20 and 22 MPG, which isn't as much as an improvement over the SUV as I would have thought. I would think a 2.0L 4 cylinder should be able to do better. I was wondering how this compares to what you all are getting. Maybe there's some engine work I should be doing? It does lose a little power going up little hills at freeway speeds, so I've been wondering if the engine needs some TLC.

·
Registered
585 Posts
On my 86, in the mountains of Tahoe, I get between 26 - 31. Keep it in tune, and use high test might be the secret. Also very light wweight wheels, chromodore magnesiun might help to lower the unsprung weight..

·
Registered
206 Posts
'87 Spider Veloce

All day long......29 mpg. ave. 66 mile daily commute, 30% freeway at 75 mph.
Engine has 81,000 mi. and is kept in perfect tune with regular valve adjustments and head torquing. Premium gas a must. Have seen 35 mpg. at steady 70 mph. And yes, I do an "Italian Tuneup" now and then.

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts
That sounds like a little less than the mileage I get on my '91 S4 spider for strictly slow city driving driving. Highway mileage is much better, although installation of a Squadra chip did reduce mileage by a little.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Also check tire pressure. The factory 26-24 lbs. is way low for modern tire sizes. Try 33-31 and see what happens.

·
Registered
446 Posts
All I know is I fill the S4 on Sunday, and drive all week to and from work which is about 12 miles away. I rarely spend more that 25 bucks. On the other hand if the weather is bad and I have to drive the Hemi Jeep Commander. I start with a full tank on Sunday, have to refill on Wednesday, and the mid-week fillup drains my wallet to the tune of 50 bucks.

Last time I measured, even in stop and go traffic I had better than 27mpg in the S4 spyder.

KKKKFL

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I got about 24mpg around town/back roads, hardly ever above 45 mph, I got 30+ on an interstate trip of steady 65-70mph.

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
I forget what the thing is called.

I used to get about 20 mpg from my '84 with Bosch Fuel Injection, thought it was normal. When I replaced the carpet in the interior I removed the side panel on the passenger side and saw a loose vacuum hose that was not connected to the (I forget what it is called) silver thing that is hooked to the computer. Any way there was little pebble stuck in the vacuum hose and the silver thing was not even in the loop. When I hooked it up, after removing the pebble I was amazed at the difference in performance and mpg. Now if I'm on the road at 65 for an hour I get at least 32 mpg. City driving is at least 25.
I'm sure some one will tell me the name of the d*%m thing.:)

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
Thanks for the name

Darren:
I knew you or one of the really great Alfisti's would know immediately.
Have a great day!;)

·
Registered
317 Posts
A missing vacuum sensor or the vvt not working can easily kill 10 mpg. If you 'fix' either or both, you will notice a significant increase in power also.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Mpg

I just clocked 33 MPG in my 1990 S3 that has evenly low compression in all 4 cylinders ( 100 PSI ) but surprisingly, runs great !!
You should check the Cat for possible restrictions due to power loss going uphill if everything else checks ok.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
low 20's for MPG is not uncommon. Yes, even with the religion of keeping your car in tune. Ive chased this for years on mine. New parts in just about everything. Just when I thought"Oh, this will for sure help my gas mileage", no such thing, buddy. You know, I think its very typical alfa, believe it or not. Just do the math based on posters above......

And this thing about using high test- and expecting higher octane to increase mileage, is not accurate assumption. High test first is not reqd for (S3) spiders. Wasted $$$ when alfa recommends 87 octane (when you break down all the PON stuff in the manual). High test is just for pinging, thats it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
'84 Veloce, 92 octane:
several recordings of 31.5 for highway 60/70 mph,
several recordings around the local hills and traffic between 22-27, depending on how fun the drive was. ;)

·
Registered
379 Posts
I recently saw a huge jump in mileage after replacing my thermostat. If the engine isnt heating to temp, it runs stupid rich. I went from low 20's to low 30's.

84 Spider with earlier split manifold exhaust and heated O2 sensor.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts