Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's some pics of my car.

Body was good but almost everything else needed attention.
Spica went in favour of carbs.
Airfilter box may have to come back as I almost put a pregnant woman into early labour this afternoon when I hit the gas as I passed her.
The seats are leather, the carpet is about 4 inches thick, the tires are fat so it's pretty hard work parking.
2 years and several thousands of Canadian Pesos later....

Sorry if the pics are too small, but there was a problem when I tried to attach them.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Finally:cool:. Never thought I'd live to see it on the road.

Great job:D It pays to buy from the best;)

Looking forward to more photos.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Verrrrrry nice!!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finally:cool:. Never thought I'd live to see it on the road.

Great job:D It pays to buy from the best;)

Looking forward to more photos.

Thanks....I never thought I'd see it on the road either...however, I payed three mechanics mortgages getting it there....not to mention an enormous donation to 'someones' retirement fund.

And let's hope that that 'someone' finally does retire.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Brian,
Congratulations on sorting out your car. She
sure is nice. It's too bad you had to go through all the grief,time and money,though. I'm still going through it. At least, in the end you do have your car. Good luck with her. She's getting rarer every day. :)

·
Registered
758 Posts
Thanks....I never thought I'd see it on the road either...however, I payed three mechanics mortgages getting it there....not to mention an enormous donation to 'someones' retirement fund.

And let's hope that that 'someone' finally does retire.
gtv looks great .....best of luck with it ....didnt that someone retire? he no longer has a web site

·
Registered
7,166 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys.

Well 'that site' seems to be home of another 'bob'...wonder if it's the old one with a new name...either way there's the same sappy music.

Simon..you've given up looking for a gtv?....

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks guys.

Well 'that site' seems to be home of another 'bob'...wonder if it's the old one with a new name...either way there's the same sappy music.

Simon..you've given up looking for a gtv?....
Hey not at all. The 2000 GTV was the first sports car that I ever really loved.:) Its just that after my terrible experience with 'you know who,' it's going to be much harder for me to trust anyone. It left a really bad impression in terms of looking for a 'restored' car. You could say that I've temporarily put my Alfa GTV quest on hold. However, I still do see one in my future.
I'd be interested in knowing more details about your GTV. Exactly what did you do in terms of sorting everything out and what are your impressions of the car now? How happy are you with the way everything has turned out? Again, good luck with her. She is a real classic beauty.:)

·
Registered
758 Posts
Hey not at all. The 2000 GTV was the first sports car that I ever really loved.:) Its just that after my terrible experience with 'you know who,' it's going to be much harder for me to trust anyone. It left a really bad impression in terms of looking for a 'restored' car. You could say that I've temporarily put my Alfa GTV quest on hold. However, I still do see one in my future.
I'd be interested in knowing more details about your GTV. Exactly what did you do in terms of sorting everything out and what are your impressions of the car now? How happy are you with the way everything has turned out? Again, good luck with her. She is a real classic beauty.:)
mark the future is here and now ... i have a really nice gtv for you .... and it in new york

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Don't we all get to see the pics?

Simon...on the cosmetic side, all the interior is redone...everything is sorted, the seats were stripped to the bone, disassembled , frames repainted etc. They're covered in leather.
The wood veneer is all new.
The headliner is not new.
There is soundproofing material everywhere.
Carpet is custom too..wool, very high quality, like a Rolls Royce!
The only thing left to do is new seat belts.

Mechanically, I told the guy to do everything that was needed.
New clutch, engine mounts. synchros, new 1st gear, heater, springs, carbs,etc etc..too much to remember.
The brakes and suspension didn't need any work, tyres and wheels are very good.
The car was very good and sound body-wise.
That was what I paid for....it is excellent...not even a hint of anything that could turn to rust.
Won't need painting for several years ( I hope)
All the electrics now work.
Head has been sorted, valves etc, has high end pistons, and this thing now roars and flies at the same time.

Can't remember what else....ermm loads of the little things were attended to like the lights coming on when the door opens , all that type of stuff....

Haven't had it dynoed but will do that asap.

At some point I'll get the bottom end of the engine balanced but in the mean time I am just going to use it.

It's pretty loud...induction roar is enormous...

It comes alive when thrashed a bit.... I guess most GTVs are like that but this one is tuned to wake up as the revs climb.

If you're in Montreal at any time you can take it out.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Wow, sounds like after all the headaches and grief you've got quite a special car. A happy ending to a not so happy beginning. I wish you good luck with your special classic Alfa.
I remember years ago, I had done some relatively minor mods to my car's engine and she really flew. I believe I had 10.5 compression pistons, hotter spark, a mild hi-lift 'hotter' cam, and a lighter flywheel. I know that if I took you up on your offer, I'd be on a quest all over again. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts