Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my new guilia, but it has 2 annoying "features" that I would love to disable.

Is it possible to disable the engine stop feature, or at least have the switch default to off at startup?

Is it possible to program the driver's seat to not automatically move back when i open the door? I keep squashing family members.

I am sure both of these answers are probably in the book, but I haven't even read the whole book for my Milano yet...

I am guessing #1 is probably a no and #2 is probably doable.

Thanks,

Al

Sent from my LG-SP200 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,697 Posts
I love my new guilia, but it has 2 annoying "features" that I would love to disable.

Is it possible to disable the engine stop feature, or at least have the switch default to off at startup?

Is it possible to program the driver's seat to not automatically move back when i open the door? I keep squashing family members.

I am sure both of these answers are probably in the book, but I haven't even read the whole book for my Milano yet...

I am guessing #1 is probably a no and #2 is probably doable.

Thanks,

Al

Start/Stop. Yes, I have a dongle that plugs into OBDII that shuts all that and other stuff off. But not specifically just that yet.
Make a habit of shutting it off when entering the car.

No on driver seat unless a 2018> you might be able to do the seat in the infotainment system.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a 2018 so I guess I'll have to do some homework on the seat. What else does the dongle control?

·
Premium Member
9,697 Posts
It is a 2018 so I guess I'll have to do some homework on the seat. What else does the dongle control?

Removes All the nannies like ESC.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
The best thing to do with the stop start feature is get used to it. Because I have rented cars in Europe that was easy for me.

If it is new to you give yourself about a month of not touching the off button and I guarantee you will eventually not notice the feature or, as I have, come to appreciate it. Because the system stops working over winter months due to the electrical and heating demands it also announces the arrival of Spring, like a Groundhog Day effect.

Pedestrians like it. Cyclists waiting at the light next to your car like it. The lack of engine noise and vibration while stopped at a light or by traffic is pleasant.

These systems are getting quite sophisticated softwarewise. The system in my Jaguar is very sensitive to brake pedal pressure. I can restart the engine whenever I like by very slightly reducing my foot pressure on the brake pedal. I make a habit of this when expecting the light to change or when anticipating a turn at an intersection merging into moving traffic and so on. One very quickly gets used to this feature.

My favourite feature is releasing the seatbelt during a stopped engine cycle switches off the entire car. My car even automatically puts the transmission in Park if I have forgotten. If I put the transmission in neutral and leave the seatbelt on and apply the park brake the engine stop start cycle remains active but with my foot off the brake. If I select Park before taking my foot off the brake then I don't need to apply the park brake to achieve this. All surprisingly handy features.

One flaw though is if you stop a bit too far from the parking machine ticket dispenser and your engine stops, if you then release your seatbelt in order to lean out the window to reach the ticket, the car shuts off, the barrier rises and.....

Apart from that stop start is a very well thought out idea.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
"Apart from that stop start is a very well thought out idea."

All too much, me thinks. Don't need all that done for me, not an invalid (yet, lol).

"Pedestrians like it. Cyclists waiting at the light next to your car like it. The lack of engine noise and vibration while stopped at a light or by traffic is pleasant"

The new cars tend to be so quiet, you don't hear most of them now anyway at a light. Actually, electric cars are a problem for pedestrians and bikers in that they are too quiet, and the authorities are thinking of having them make noise for people to know they are around.

Sometimes I think you are just entranced by new techno gee-whiz stuff more than many, lol. That's fine. Different strokes for different folks.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I fall somewhere between you guys. Ok, maybe a bit closer to Del. Some of the gee whiz stuff is tolerable, but honestly if I got to option the car to my needs, it would have 3 pedals, AC and an AM FM only radio. Of course I also have a 124 (the original- not a Fiata) and don't even miss the AC until it starts raining....

Been trying to get used to the stop start since June. Still haven't, although the reflex has changed from panic then reaching for the nonexistent ignition key to simply reaching for the off button.

All in all, I love the car. You should see my list of gripes about the BMW it replaced...

Al

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
That start/stop setup was something I just could not get used to in my test drive of the car. I found it somewhat disturbing and irritating, being quite familiar and fond of no gas pedal hesitation in my 164 if so desired.

This use of a dash push button to start and turn off the engine is just a gimmick, an answer to a question no one asked. Has led to a few deaths due to people forgetting to shut the all too quiet engine off. Such a deal.

·
Premium Member
9,697 Posts
It's annoying. Once you own one, you can make a simple habit of buckling your belt and turning it off. Simple solution.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
As the new 48v systems become commonplace that "off" button will have to disappear. Range Rover just released its new Evoque with this mild hybrid setup as an option. More will follow. I predict customers will like the electric motor only drive as an option quite a lot. I foresee this as an emissions driven function that will actually prove useful and appealing to customers.

Just as old timers insist that they need to be able paddle shift or the automatic transmission is a deal breaker, only to find after a few weeks of driving the new fangled gearbox that Martin Brundle is correct and paddle shifting is unnecessary when driving on public roads, so they will be forced to discover that stop start technology is just fine.

Emissions and fuel economy are driving the car makers to turbocharging, smart gearboxes and mild hybrid transmission systems.

And it's happening now, not a decade from now.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
That start/stop setup was something I just could not get used to in my test drive of the car. I found it somewhat disturbing and irritating, being quite familiar and fond of no gas pedal hesitation in my 164 if so desired.

This use of a dash push button to start and turn off the engine is just a gimmick, an answer to a question no one asked. Has led to a few deaths due to people forgetting to shut the all too quiet engine off. Such a deal.
The stop start system has nothing to do with the gas pedal. It is triggered by the foot brake.

You cannot forget to shut off the engine because releasing your seatbelt will do that if the engine is stopped when you do so. You're confusing anecdotes here, apparently some North American drivers have become confused by keyless start using a button to switch off the engine. Different problem although from the same cause: driver incompetence. Anyone who can't remember how to switch off the engine should have their driver's license taken away. Immediately.

·
Registered
342 Posts
LOL. When I lived in the UK 2013/14 I had An A6 and then a nice A3 wagon. Both had start stop and I quickly became accustomed to the sequence.

The stelvio I have now, I am used to it. Just releasing a little brake pressure after I stop. I did, a few times, pull into my driveway and was memntarily confused by the stopped engine but the dash all lit up. No more.

I think the euro fuel economy and emission requirements, including tax categories, make stop start systems part of the permanent equation.

On a different point, the auto tranny works fantastic with the cruise control in heavy highway stop and go traffic.

·
Premium Member
9,697 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,740 Posts
I just got one similar to that Giulia/Stelvio ESS deactivator for our 17 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It will keep ESS off and even keep Sport (dynamic) mode on if I was to want it which I don't. It plugs into diagnostic scan port.

·
Premium Member
9,697 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts