Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one have a cheap 2 litre engine here in the South Island, I want to pck up one or two for a little project I'm working on.
Roger

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

I'm not sure about that one, I need something that was current in 1974, and don't think that that type of twin spark was used then, the engine is for a F3 single seater, so has to have period engine, I had one, but sold it last year for $200, complete with carbs etc, thinking I would not need it, and no one else seemed to want it, kick myself now, but there must be a few lying around, juyst never when you need one.
Roger

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looked

Yes I had looked there, one of the problems I have found with ALfa owners here is this, they want mega bucks for something that is F**ked, and seem to foreget just how much it takes ($) to get them up to spec, don't get me wrong, I like them and have worked on them for a number of years, and its with that knowledge that I say that, and one of the reasons I want a 2 litre engine, is that I can keep it going longer, cheaper than I can with a claped out old Lotus T/C, I have found more HP cheaper with the Alfa engine, as although a old design, it was done right, and apart from pistons, I can use most of whats in the engine, even the rods, if prepared well will stand quite high RPM, (change rod bolts and a bit of prep)
Roger

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
The only thing with the Alfa engine though Roger is width and weight compared to the Lotus unit. Lotus also have better port and valve angles. F3 was 2litre tho wasn`t it so Lotus unit wouldn`t be suitable unless different crank/resleeve of block?

Richard J

`65 Giulia Ti, `69 GT Junior, `74 GTV 2000, `76 Alfetta GTV, `77 Alfetta GTV, `81 Alfasud Ti, `84 GTV6

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
F3

They cahnged from 1600 to 2000cc in 1974, I'm awear of the size of the engine, the porting of the T/C ford is not that great, and most heads are now U/S due to the alloy they used to make them at the time, you can get new ones but they are a arm and a leg.
Brabham ran Alfa engines, and also Le Grand, and while they were not winners, they did go well, as far as the Twin Spark goes, I don't know the differences between the old style TS and the modern unit?
Roger

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Is it true that some shop in your area sells adapters to fit modern trans (Toyota/ Other?)to 105 series Alfas? If known can you provide contact info?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Adaptors

I guess that Phil Ansell would be able to help there, if some one does it down here, I guess he would be the one to contact, at Ansell Euro Spares, he is mentioned on the thread about Alfa wreckers in this forum (NZ part), he is a good guy, he may be able to help, Eric Swinbourne maybe able to help, he runs AutoSpeed Engineering, and is now based at Naseby, and can be E mailed at [email protected] he may aso be able to help
Roger

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
We used to fit the old Toyota Celica boxes to many cars and I remember Robert McCormack had one fitted to his turboed red 2litre Bertone here because it was cheaper to replace bits or the gearbox when things broke. The Celica/Supra gearbox from the `70`s/early `80`s was a copy of the Alfa gearbox , even to the split casing and required a mounting plate adapter on the bellhousing and new clutch driven plate-that was all from memory-(synchros didn`t last any longer) they were a cheap strong 5 speed that were put behind a lot of engines including small block V8`s. The odd Alfa got a Toyota box behind it in NZ because Alfa parts were so dear and in the days before this marvellous internet the world was a much bigger place and communication with anywhere bar Australia was so much harder for us in the bottom of the world.

Richard J

`65 Giulia Ti, `69 GT Junior, `74 GTV 2000,`76 Alfetta GTV, `77 Alfetta GTV, `84 GTV6

1 - 11 of 11 Posts