Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On eBay. Four days remain.
Not a too common color. Appears original and complete with a beautiful steering wheel.
Text says: Motor runs, non driving. #02318.

Richard

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
If green is original color, it was special order

D/Amico & Tardudi does not list green as one of the colors available for Spiders. [Grigio biacca, grigio grafite, rosso Alfa, nero, giallo paglierino] translated as Lead grey, graphite grey, Alfa red, black and pale yellow.

But I have seen (in fact the first one I saw) was white.

And for sedan colors mentioned: [grigio fumo, bleu cobalto medio, grigio alfa, oro antico, alluminio azzurrato] translated as smoke grey, medium cobalt blue, dawn grey, old gold, aluminum blue. (mine was mink brown originally, and is now two tone yellow and brown top.).

At least the Sprint colors contain white: [Bianco Antico, nero, bluette, visione scuro, grigio coupe] translated as Antique white, black, light blue, dark mink, and coupe grey.

As they say, Go figger! And on a special order lots of other colors might have been available from the factory. You could get more when you paid more. So, I am thinking of painting the very first sprint AR10205*00019 done enough to send on the European car show circuit in 1961 a bright yellow (like the yellow on yellow cabs made by Toyota) instead of the original antique white. Why not? Giugiaro started painting his cars that bright yellow color when he finally quit Bertone and started Intel Design. Ever see his concept cars? I suspect he always secretly wished the very first car he produced on paid consignment would have been that color.

And, frankly, color or not, that car could be restored and not all that bad at the price. They weren't always in such demand, and are going up in value fast. Reminds me of the price jump the 6c2500's took in the 1960's when they were once available. Not many two liter spiders around to restore now. If you buy it you paint it whatever color you want.

·
Push hard and live
9,635 Posts
Jay,

Relevant to this post and our discussion on the phone yesterday...

"Grigio biacca" does not translate to any sort of gray, at least in Alfa world. Bing translator, in fact, translates it as "white gray". Most romance languages (Spanish, Italian, etc) reverse the order of their nouns and adjectives from what we are used to in English. Thus, "grigio biacca" might translate as "grayish white", with the second word being the primary noun.

I have seen numerous white 102 Tourings. Most had oxidized to a chalky refrigerator white by the time I saw them. Given the range of standard colors for the 102 Roadsters, I'm fairly convinced that the ones that we viewed as white were, in fact, grigio biacca. I was further convinced by Storico telling me that my car was originally grigio biacca, and when we found an undisturbed patch of original paint under the chrome top hold-down bracket on the rear deck, what arose during the polishing was this lovely, soft, ivory color. Why Alfa chose "grayish white" instead of "ivory" to describe the color is unknown, but it is a deeply moving and appealing color if done correctly. I've seen interpretations that appeared more green or blue, and were the result of trusting a modern paint manufacturer's paint-mixing codes. We color-matched my original paint, and I'm sticking with the idea it was original.

None of that is intended to argue with your choice of color for your Sprint. It's your car.

I also don't know if the green color on the Ebay Roadster was original or not. It's description as rust-free makes me think there is more beneath the skin than has been revealed. We all accept that custom colors and interiors were offered, so whatever happens from here is anyone's guess. It is a bold price for a "total restoration required" car, but at some point I expect it will appear to have been a good price had a potential buyer acted on it. No bids so far.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
If it wasn't such a rediculous price ( and in America) this actually looks a pretty sound car. It lokks like its a good car that's been left under a tarpaulin and water pools have caused rough damage - bit cills , rockers etc look pretty solid . Even the gauges look pretty bright. Worth a look to make an offer if it doesn't sel - but not at this price

·
Push hard and live
9,635 Posts
Ian. I thought I over paid for my rusty, incomplete mess back in 2006. Cost me 15k, including the trucking to my home. 10204's were selling for $25k - $35k then, in nice, drivable shape, some restored within the prior 5 or 6 years.

Now, a well restored 10204 will fetch what? $60k? $75k? $100k? The price to restore one is about the same now as it was in 2006. So, $35k + $60k leaves you less under water than most other Alfa restorations with, in my opinion, the near certainty of continued above-market appreciation. Even $35k + $80k is likely to be in the black now, or very soon in the future.

When do you recall Alfa restoration as being anything but a financial loser?

Although I would want a close inspection before paying $35k, if rust is truly minimal (Touring, hahahabwaaaaa), then the price works.

·
Push hard and live
9,635 Posts
Mark's bottom picture looks very close to my Grigio Biacca.

The top one looks like it should have magnets stuck to it, holding a child's finger painting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts