Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does that sound right? The first (original) pump lasted almost 100k miles. The second (a new Bosch) only about 10k. Can there be something wrong I don't know about? Both outages happened within a half mile of my house. I hate thinking of the consequences if a pump goes out on one of my California freeways:eek:

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Do you have fuel tank contamination that could be getting into the fuel pump and causing premature failure? Do you change the fuel filter regularly, and have you cut an old one open to look for signs of rust particles?

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Are you postive it's the pump and not a collapsed/internally rotten soft line on the feed side? (between the tank and it)

When one of those starts to go, it acts just like the pump died, which eventually will cause the pump to die because of the lack of lubricating/cooling fuel.

Changing the pump aleviates the problem for a while as it's 'stronger' and can pull through the blockage better, but eventually it too will succumb or the line will completely collapse internally and nothing will flow for any reason.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fuel filter and line

Doh! I've never changed the fuel filter. I'll get on that. The fuel line was replace with the last fuel pump. Thanks for the heads-up.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Instructions with the Bosch pump I put in this summer said any warranty is void if the fuel filter isn't replaced.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Fuel Pump

Hi. I would also check the pre-pump in the tank. I was told that if the pre-pump is weak, it can cause cavitation and overheating in the main pump.

Dave

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
all it takes is one fillup from a bad place and you will clog about 4 or 5 filters untill att teh crap is out of the tank.
I had this happen once to me when I filled up at one of The noname gas places.
I started to use the cheap filtes that I could get at the local places for some other FI car a bit bigger and could hold more crap. and very cheap. after a while all the junk was gone and I was back to oly changing the filter one every few years

·
Registered
970 Posts
I've run into fuel pump problems in the past...my Bosch replacements not lasting very long (filters changed). Make sure you change the filter sock (in the gas tank) and not just the gas filter under the car.

I decided to try a fuel pump from Autozone when my last bosch pump got noisy and bit the dust a couple of months ago. So far so good. The new pump is very quiet compared to the Bosch pump. 1 year warranty and $158 plus tax.

Time will tell.

Oh yeah, do check the short, in tank fuel hose. Mine was cracked last time I changed the in tank pump and filter sock.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts