Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, what would be a good aftermarket fuel injection system for a '88 Milano 2.5 platinum?
thanks,
-Oilpit-

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Ohh, that question could start a fight. Some people defend thier favorite flavor of fuel injection with a junk yard dog level of ferocity.

Anyway, here are my thoughts.

In no paticular order:

1. Gotech. The features and price are good. A lot of people have used it on Alfas so just you won't be in uncharted territory with this system. On the basis of cost, features, and support I would argue it's the best.

2. Megasquirt. A lot of people swear by it. There are some real advantages to an open source do it yourself system. Of course ultimately you are on your own with this system. There are plenty of experts on it posting on forums, but it might be tough to determine who really knows what he is talking about. Steve R. has written an excellent guide to Megasquirt on the Alfa V6 and a few people have followed it with success. Peter W. posts here sometimes and he knows this system really well.

3. Autronic. The most expensive of these four options. It's arguably the best, although it has features most of us will never use.

4. SDS. The only one of these systems I have used. I like it a lot. It's super easy to tune and the tech support is just a phone call to the mountain time zone away. No need to wait until 4am to call some tech rep in New Zealand. I think it has the least features, but that's not a problem for me.

Greg Gordon,
www.hiperformancestore.com

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Here's the real answer...

The one that you are most comforable with- you MUST do the research on how to install and tune well before you start actually taking things apart.

The answers you get will be very valid, but I can honestly say that you can tune even the worst POS system out there to run really, really well, if you know what you are doing.

With the answers you get here, then go and do some more research and find out which one you would be most comfortable working with among them, and go with it.

If I gave you the stuff we have at work, it's light years ahead of what you can get in the aftermarket, but it's highly likely that you would never finish the project, as our systems are so incredibly complicated (with good reason, BTW).

So make sure you buy the system that you know you will be able to finish with.

So far I've messed around with a cheap system from S.Africa, a MS, TECII and TECIII, and a Delphi based system we had with bonneville (that outside of the EECIV, V, PTEC, and the various Oaks I get paid to do for a living). All of them ran great after various amounts of work to set up, and get running.

If you get an offer from anybody to help (like Greg) then go with his top suggestion.

Eric

1 - 4 of 4 Posts