Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New poster, long time lurker making my first post of what will probably be many.

I have an 82 GTV 6 that I foolishly bought off EBay about 4 years ago. Boy did I get had. Well, I have just put it back on the road to drive and find all the problems before putting inside for some R&R over the winter.

I have a spare 2.5 and am actively looking for a 3.0. The PO had a nitrous system on the engine and it scares me. He said it was never used, but the 10 lb tank was half empty so I am assuming that he used it more than once.
I am planning on doing a swap for a 3.0 if I can find one reasonably.

In the mean time, I want to get the valve covers and the intake plenum cleaned up and looking sharp.

Are the valve covers and intake plenum from a 2.5 the same as on a 3.0?
If so I will get the spares cleaned and polished for the 3.0, if not I will bother.

This is sort of a "feel good" project to make the engine area look a bit nicer.

There is a bunch of problems, but this project is just a way of getting motivated.

Known problems:

Tach and Speedo do not work - I am noping it's a ground problem.
Wiring is a shambles with all sorts of electrical tape and scotch locks.
Oil pressure is 100 lbs on start and almost zero after warm up at idle. 40 -50 lbs under running condition.
Engine is nasty and idle is very rough.
Exhaust rattle that sounds like death rattle.
Paint sucks
Fake or whatever Maratona body effects.
Wipers do not work. Motor runs but no wiper movement.

I am sure I will find lots more wrong soon

Marcus
82 GTV6 boy racer

·
Registered
594 Posts
As a guess, I would say the covers are the same. All Alfa did to stretch the 2.5 to 3.0L was change crank and bore size. There are other smaller differences, but the motor is pretty much the same thing. Off hand, I can't think of other major changes. My car was a daily driver, and stood off road for 18 months, you have no idea how many electrical gremlins crept into it in that time. Start with the fuse box if the car was in a wet winter. Lots of green and very bad connections. Use Greg Gordon's tune-up guide as this will lead to most of the important connections needed to get it running again.

...........Sorry after posting I saw your question about the plenum. There is a chance they could be different. PM Greg Gordon as he has experience with both. He may speak you into a supercharger for your 2.5. It is the route I would go if I had the budget for it. Your car would be on steroids and not much would stay with it.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
The 2.5 and 3.0 valve covers are different, one is script and one is block lettering, but they may work on either, check one of the supplier websites and see if they list the same part number for the VC gasket. I also think the Plenum in differnet, I think there is an extra air hose on the Verde plenum, but I am not 100% sure, let me go home and compare the two. The 3.0 is a stronger motor, but you might try playing with the 2.5, all out HP is not always the best thing, the 2.5 is a stong engine, and fun, lots can be done with it, none is really cheap, but always a fun project no matter which route you take.

·
Registered
594 Posts
The script vs block letters has been covered in another thread. My GTV6 was one of the last being an '86 and it has block letters. The earlier models had the script and looks much nicer. Change over year was around '85/86. So both types were fitted to the GTV6 which proves the covers could be the same. Did earlier models have the cold start valve mounted on the cover? Greg Gordons article talks about both early motors and later motors. Bits of the plumbing is different. You could be correct about the plenum. While checking for extra holes etc. could you check the bore of the intakes. I have a nagging feeling the bore on the 3.0 is bigger to allow better breathing.

·
Registered
625 Posts
How different is the wiring between the '82 and '84 models? If it is similar I have the whole harness and wiring from an '84 that is in great shape and hasn't been messed with. I am looking to get rid of it for cheap. Also whatever wiper parts you need. Sorry about the bum luck on the purchase, getting a car that previously had nitrous is scary, esp. when the wiring is done half-a$$edly. Makes you wonder what else was "repaired" with tape and the like.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I think the bores are the same as I am pretty sure the runners are the same, both are on cars, so checking the bore is a little more difficult. The block vs the script is a 2.5 vs 3.0 also, both are finned, the early 2.5 script covers are smooth. I will try to get some pictures to show the difference... I think the 84 has the updated engine management, so as we found out with the cross country Alfa, the harness are different because they have differnet spark boxes that are not interchangable and mounted in different locations.

OK, pictures, they are different, but I am sure you can use a 2.5 plenum on a 3.0, the extra hose (above the cold start injector) just Y's back in, so the plenum is different, but I would use the 2.5 plenum. You can also see the script vs block on the valve covers.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts