Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
This is out of date. If people are still recommending this then they don't understand synthetic oil, the definition and formulation of which have changed greatly since the 70s. Honestly the word "synthetic" doesn't really mean much in the context of oil anymore (see the Mobil v. Castrol lawsuit in the 90s and outcomes thereof.)

Mobil1 15W50 is one of the limited number of modern oil that still contains higher levels of ZDDP anti-wear/scuffing additives. All the other Mobil1 street formulations have gone to lower levels, as have most other SN grade oils.
+1 on the Mobil1 15W50. I have used it in the turbo motor forever and to that I add a bottle of Liqui Moly. It quiets the engine considerably. Everyonce in a whole you can get it for $22 bucks at Walmart and Mobil1 has a coupon for half off of that!

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,278 Posts
So I don't know much about moly additives in oil, but generally I recommend buying a good oil rather than trying to mix your own. There are sometimes chemistry issues you're not aware of. Case in point, ZDDP additives. You want min 1200 ppm to protect flat tappets, but it's not a case of "more is better" as too much ZDDP can actually soften the steel and increase wear.

This is an interesting writeup on the various molybdenum compounds used in motor oil and I learned some stuff:

Moly in engine oil

I can't find any tests of Mobil1 15W50 (I swear I did one on the Spider once but no findey) but I have a UOA from my other car for Mobil1 0W40 and it's 75 ppm moly. That jibes with them using the Moly Infineum Trimoly additive noted in that blog post, at least in that weight.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts