Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stock '74 GTV engine runs great but seeps oil out of every conceivable place. I'm wondering if a restrictive cam cover/crank-case breather has something to do with this.

I've been following the Classic Motorsports (GRM) project GTV for a while, and there is some mention of the cam cover breather being restrictive by design and causing seal and gasket blow-by. They are having some de-restriction modification done, but they don't specify what it is.

Any ideas? Is there any common performance modification that is done to the breather system?

What's that little 1/8" tube in the breather for? What's it supposed to be connected to? Some emissions device I can remove, or some essential piece I should maintain?

The hole in the gasket behind the breather spigot on the cam cover is easy enough to open up. Is there any benefit to doing this?

'74 GTV 2.0 with stock SPICA, airbox, etc.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
the 1/8 inch tube is for the gas tank vent. cleaning the rust and gunk out of the vapor seperator will probably cure your problem. just take off the vapro seperator and soak it in carb cleaner or other solvent for a while.
cliff

·
Registered
104 Posts
I removed the gasket (used Right Stuff gasket maker instead), removed that smaller inside tube AND drilled/tapped one of the large round plugs on the front of the head for an additional barbed hose fitting, both of those go into the breather tank.

I've just restarted the car after all that work, but haven't had extended high RPM to see the improvements.

Our website is in the process of being reworked, but I'll try to get the updates up there shortly.

Per

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
My stock '74 GTV engine runs great but seeps oil out of every conceivable place. I'm wondering if a restrictive cam cover/crank-case breather has something to do with this.
Do the leaks stop when you take the oil cap off?

I didn't think so (kudos for nice lateral thinking though).

An extra breather is a legit thing for high rpm race engine, but so is a lot of other stuff that will be a waste of time on a road car. But cleaning out the vapour dodad can't hurt and is probably therapeutic anyway!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well...

I've re-routed my breather tubes to a fancy new catch bottle, got rid of the vapor do-dad, and opened up the hole in the breather gasket to match the hole in the breather spigot.

I feel much better now.

Can't say my engine runs any different, or leaks any less.

Dang.

Per,
Thanks for the reply. I didn't realize you're on the BB. I'm a big fan GRM and CMS, and have been following your project GTV closely.

George

'74 GTV

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
My 74 spider had a bad hose from the seperator to the sump thru the dipstick tube. the hose runs behind the radiator from the seperator to the dipstick tube. since you arent using the seperator, be sure to plug the hose on theside of the dipstick tube.
cliff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts