Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello forum, I'm about to complete the purchase of a 1961 Giulietta Spider (68K miles). I haven't test-driven it yet but did a cold start and everything was fine, apart from very rough idle (I didn't use the accelerator lock as I wasn't even aware of its existence). Are there any components I need to double-check for a Giulietta of that year? Anything that is more prone to break/malfunction?
I would also appreciate any pointers for suppliers of vintage Alfa parts.
Thank you in advance!

IMG_0913.JPG
IMG_0915.JPG

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Looking at the walls of your garage I would say that you probably know
a bit about turning a wrench. Looks like you just joined the list today.
So you have a lot of reading to do here. This is a treasure trove of information
and help. There are a lot of suppliers all over the world. Most are great.
More pictures would get you more help.
Welcome to the asylum.. :sneaky:

Reactions: Austin Alfa

·
Registered
784 Posts
Samakijoe, looks like that’s the place who is selling it, but welcome Dealbergaria just the same. Hope you get to drive it first before buying that ‘61.
Lots of vendors and decades-long Giulietta owners here to support your questions and that car if you get it. First things first, if you can show us the engine bay, its engine number and the numbers punched on the right side of the firewall maybe we can narrow down what you have. These cars and their parts sometimes come as original since 1961, sometimes not so much.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Looking at the walls of your garage I would say that you probably know
a bit about turning a wrench. Looks like you just joined the list today.
So you have a lot of reading to do here. This is a treasure trove of information
and help. There are a lot of suppliers all over the world. Most are great.
More pictures would get you more help.
Welcome to the asylum.. :sneaky:
Thank you Samakijoe, actually that's the garage of the selling dealer (on consignment), I can turn a wrench as long as it's not connected to anything 😆

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Samakijoe, looks like that’s the place who is selling it, but welcome Dealbergaria just the same. Hope you get to drive it first before buying that ‘61.
Lots of vendors and decades-long Giulietta owners here to support your questions and that car if you get it. First things first, if you can show us the engine bay, its engine number and the numbers punched on the right side of the firewall maybe we can narrow down what you have. These cars and their parts sometimes come as original since 1961, sometimes not so much.
Thank you Barn101! I'll get back to it next Tuesday (it's a 2 hr drive from my place), but for now I have some pics and a certificate of authenticity from AR (Frame #: AR 170 726)

eb83e7ce17_800.jpeg 60b9eae835_800.jpeg ea98772c65_800.jpeg 07f33f9345_800.jpeg 0c52dcebc2_800.jpeg e65b366acf_800.jpeg dca3440087_800.jpeg 80057d12e7_800.jpeg a61c7b25b6_800.jpeg a32fbd7bbd_800.jpeg eb83e7ce17_800.jpeg 60b9eae835_800.jpeg ea98772c65_800.jpeg 07f33f9345_800.jpeg 0c52dcebc2_800.jpeg e65b366acf_800.jpeg dca3440087_800.jpeg 80057d12e7_800.jpeg a61c7b25b6_800.jpeg a32fbd7bbd_800.jpeg

·
Registered
784 Posts
I’ve seen that one for sale. It was made about a thousand before mine in ‘61. Good luck. What’s your plan for it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At this point, I'll keep it as is and make it into a regular weekend driver. I assume it's a 101 model, am I correct?

·
Super Moderator
11,775 Posts
I’d replace the top radiator hose though...looks sketchy.
Good pick up. Worthwhile inspecting other hoses as well. And changing the coolant while you've got the lower hose off.

Actually, the upper hose could be fresh, but simply too long. Trimming 1/2" - 1" off both ends might get that kink out.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
From what we can see, it could be a very good car. Of course, the key issue is rust : there is nothing abnormal than I can see, the floors for example seem to have the right ribs. Lift the trunk carpet, the floor should be ribbed the same way. The interior color, plush carpets and diamond pleated seats are not original, neither is the beige top, but it doesn't look out of place. It's got a new exhaust system, and fresh Michelin XAS tires - PO didn't go for a cheap set of tires. Cylinder head is an original 101 and I do not see anything that is obviously from a later car - 101 and 105 Alfas have a lot that can be interchanged.

Now drive it, feel how it tight it steers, how well it shifts, how well it brakes, how smooth is the engine. By today's standards the 1300 is no ball of fire, but it should be peppy and willing to rev easily while you have fun going through the gears, noticing if any blue puffs appear along the way.

The dash top should be black, and I think some sort of nosing is missing.

I wouldn't mind it in my garage at all.

Classic Alfa in UK is a great supplier with a wide range of Giulietta parts.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Things to check--- Oil pressure should be "middlish" on the gauge above 3000 RPM..it will fall of some at idle....BRAKES ... stopping is always nice .. the pedal should feel rock hard when applied ...Brake lights are always nice......brakes .. check the backing plates for leaks at all 4 corners.. .. Oil level.... gas should smell like gas not whiskey.....First piece of paper to have after the title is a copy of the owners manual.. good to go...Have fun.... PS warm the car to until the water temp moves off the peg.. Oil temp ..not to worry. Looks very presentable from my vantage point.. It's all about the money in the end unless you like ABBA ( Money money money) .

·
Registered
85 Posts
For what it’s worth, I highly recommend the shop and the crew. I’ve both bought and sold through them and currently have my GTV there for head work. The car is pretty sweet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good pick up. Worthwhile inspecting other hoses as well. And changing the coolant while you've got the lower hose off.

Actually, the upper hose could be fresh, but simply too long. Trimming 1/2" - 1" off both ends might get that kink out.
Thank you for the advice Alfajay, I'll ask the shop to trim the radiator hose.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
From what we can see, it could be a very good car. Of course, the key issue is rust : there is nothing abnormal than I can see, the floors for example seem to have the right ribs. Lift the trunk carpet, the floor should be ribbed the same way. The interior color, plush carpets and diamond pleated seats are not original, neither is the beige top, but it doesn't look out of place. It's got a new exhaust system, and fresh Michelin XAS tires - PO didn't go for a cheap set of tires. Cylinder head is an original 101 and I do not see anything that is obviously from a later car - 101 and 105 Alfas have a lot that can be interchanged.

Now drive it, feel how it tight it steers, how well it shifts, how well it brakes, how smooth is the engine. By today's standards the 1300 is no ball of fire, but it should be peppy and willing to rev easily while you have fun going through the gears, noticing if any blue puffs appear along the way.

The dash top should be black, and I think some sort of nosing is missing.

I wouldn't mind it in my garage at all.

Classic Alfa in UK is a great supplier with a wide range of Giulietta parts.
Thanks for the pointers for the Classic Alfa UK recommendation, Yvesmontreal

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Things to check--- Oil pressure should be "middlish" on the gauge above 3000 RPM..it will fall of some at idle....BRAKES ... stopping is always nice .. the pedal should feel rock hard when applied ...Brake lights are always nice......brakes .. check the backing plates for leaks at all 4 corners.. .. Oil level.... gas should smell like gas not whiskey.....First piece of paper to have after the title is a copy of the owners manual.. good to go...Have fun.... PS warm the car to until the water temp moves off the peg.. Oil temp ..not to worry. Looks very presentable from my vantage point.. It's all about the money in the end unless you like ABBA ( Money money money) .
Thanks Divotandtralee. Are you saying I shouldn't care about the oil temp?

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
That's what I am saying.. (argh.. at the wrath of some) If t was so darned important every car on the road would have one... But they all do have water (aqua) temp gauges or at least idiot lights. "off the peg" is warm-up on the coolant.. It should ride around the middle again after warm

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
Looks like a pretty nice car,but make sure to check numbers. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a 1962 considering the tail lights,no holes in dash for the bullnose,probably filled in,but possibly originally padded.I believe the holes didn't line up between the steel bullnose of the earlier cars and the later padded dash cars.Certainly not a deal breaker,and the painted dash looks fine.Alfa used a black wrinkle finish on the 750 and early 101s to divert reflection..The tag on the firewall is not common to interim cars I've seen,might indicate a later car but I believe more than likely marketed for another country other than the USA. It does look like 10103.The stainless trim behind seats is not 1961,but could have been added and nice IMO.Absolutely get it up to "at least" 75mph to check for vibration and handling.Also nice to have an emergency brake.That cable doesn't look functional,maybe it is? and drivers side rear floor could have been replaced or undercoat slopped over it for some reason,not a complete picture.I don't get the chassis numbers 170 726,then again,all I have is Evan Wilsons' book to go by.Hope someone explains that.Still a nice looking car

1 - 20 of 28 Posts