Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all ,
I have spent the day under my GTV6 GP today playing with slave cylinder , the old one was totally gunked up with crud. Had an old twin spark trans under the house and pulled the slave cylinder out of that and pulled it apart and rebuilt it.got it all installed and bled and now have a clutch again.
Question is now, what should i do before trying to kick the engine over for the 1st time in around 2 years ?
I am thinking of trying to drain any old fuel out of the tank for starters, but was after some advice on any precautions for the motor.

·
Administrator
17,063 Posts
How old is the cam belt? It seems likely they can 'age out' as well as 'wear out'. And if there has been oil leaking onto the belt that can make it deteriorate, too.

Otherwise, new fluids - oil/filter & coolant - then remove the spark plugs (consider new spark plugs) and turn the engine over 3-4 revolutions by hand to ensure there is no interference. If OK, disable the ignition & fuel pump and crank it in 30 second bursts separated by a minute (so the starter motor won't overheat) to build up some oil pressure. Then replace spark plugs, enable the fuel & ignition systems and start it up.

New fuel is vital. After draining the tank & adding a few gallons of fresh gas, pump fresh gas through the lines by switching on the ignition and pushing the flap in the Air Flow Meter 'open'. That should power on the fuel pump. If you disconnect the fuel return line and aim it into a container you can make sure fresh fuel is getting to the fuel rail. Hopefully the fuel injectors are not clogged from sitting unused.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts