Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to drop this note. Yesterday at around 5:30pm on my way home from work I came up behind a 1996 or 1997 Alfa Spider. I think it was a twin spark version, not sure though. Red with a black top and dealer plate. We were going east on the 407 near Keele Street. I waved and gave the thumbs up, he waved back. He was barely doing the speed limit. Didn't have a camera or else I would have snapped a picture. How did this Alfa get in the country, its only 10 years old??

·
Registered
1 Posts
there are certain exemptions if someone emigrates to canada or if a canadian was overseas for a specified period of time they can bring in "their" personal vehicle and a time restriction is in force as to when they may resell it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If anyone knows anything more definitive about the exemptions, could you please post a link or more details? I am returning to Canada from Europe soon, and would be very interested in bringing another Alfa with me :))).
The only information I could find is that I would be exempt from paying duties on a personal vehicle, but nothing that would indicate that it could be younger than 15 years.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
From what I know, you can bring into Canada any vehicle you own as an immigrant or as a canadian who has lived as a non resident abroad (I believe they expect more than 2 years). Once in Canada, you need to get it licensed and there are no exemptions on cars less than 15 years.
First thing you need to do is find out what the DOT says about the particular car they have a list. In some cases, for some models (even from the US) the differences/requirements are so onerous that the DOT declares the car not permissible to import because they believe that retrofits are not possible (it goes beyond emissions).
Other possibilities are cars with "diplomatic" plates.
TTFN Elio

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes there two here!

Just wanted to drop this note. Yesterday at around 5:30pm on my way home from work I came up behind a 1996 or 1997 Alfa Spider. I think it was a twin spark version, not sure though. Red with a black top and dealer plate. We were going east on the 407 near Keele Street. I waved and gave the thumbs up, he waved back. He was barely doing the speed limit. Didn't have a camera or else I would have snapped a picture. How did this Alfa get in the country, its only 10 years old??
One lives in ancaster the other cayuga. there 95(First year). And don't ask how! it long story! But there 2 summer ago same guys tryed to pass 3 Auto-Delta Alfa (2GTV&156gta)in canada, but (riv) got them. they where at Grays road customs in Hamilton(In the front with a Car cover on it. Talk to the secuirty Guard which was school friend let me in). I had see for myself and there where beautiful. these j-off had those alfa spiders here 3 years ago. AWE that wouln't made them 14 years old yet.(Funny there both pure Canadians,That live here) but they got them! Funny Ah! I imported a 91 Evo3 M3 from germany last summer, so i've done this.This is how it works 1st you have to be living there for no shorter than 7 years. The car has to be on the Riv sheet(register imported Vechiles). Then they have to have papers from department vechile transportation.of the country importing from ,that it not stolen and so on.....2nd all call Backs on the car have to be Done. Letter from car manufa that they done(DEALER OF THE CAR) . I'm in the process right now on doing this for 97 Maserati open cup! It a pain in the ***! But i Made Killing selling M3 so i Want my dream Car. P.s M3 very over rated My ALfa will do circles are it!. Even when it was stock i thinck!!!!Good winter beater bimmers!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts