Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know its not an Alfa, but I need a good LA car, and I figured this 164 cousin should do the trick. Do any of you guys own one? What are the ups and downs you've experienced? I've read every internet post regarding them, so I'm not interested in google searches or regurgitated info. Just wanna get to know other 9000 aero owners!

·
Registered
503 Posts
great cars as long as maintenance is done, also make sure you have a good mechanic, they are not hard to work on, make sure the car does not have TCS, unless you own an tech 2 or ISAT, if you have the tool, its easy to work on, if not it will cost you a fortune in dealer fees

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
I own a 97 Aero, used from 2000, so I can compare the two.

Alfa is more satisfying to drive and, oddly, much more reliable at its great age. When the cars were younger they were about the same reliability but the Alfa seems better built and from better parts in general.

Servicing the SAAB is orders of magnitude cheaper for most things under the hood. Considering the hvac systems are electrically and mechanically identical, made by the same supplier, Alfa made a complete hash of engineering it into their cars. The system works far better in the SAAB and is about 1/10 the cost for labour to repair.

Apart from actually under the hood the cars are very similar in cost to run and labour charges for servicing. Parts for the 9000 are getting harder to source but not as hard as for the 164.

The SAAB has a well deserved reputation for rugged and capable handling in bad weather and on bad roads that the Alfa cannot match. Not a big advantage in summer or on paved roads. I like both cars on different days and for different reasons. Remarkable illustration of the widely different cars you can build on the same structure: platform engineering at its finest.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input, and comparison! The one I bought does not have TCS, I made sure of that before buying it. It is an automatic so its not as fun. My 164 is the sexier one of the two, they really are totally different but cousins are still family. I will not use it much, and I do have a mechanic, I used to drive an SPG years ago, and the guy who worked on it is still in business.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts